The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

12 minutes ago, pudding said:

Your assumption that I dislike those things just for existing is false. What I dislike is when those things are thrown into a show for the sake of being there, with no attention being given to making them blend seamlessly with the rest of the show. Having a double-tonguing feature that is part of the source material and which makes sense from a pacing and flow perspective is fine. Having a double-tonguing feature for the sake of having a double-tonguing feature is not.

Name a time Cadets' whiplash drill was seamlessly reflective of the entire show. What about all those famous mellophone runs? The hornline runs that opened Cadets 97, 01? What about any jazz corps who adds screamers for no real reason other than the fact that they can—and have been doing so since the 70s? 

What you're complaining about is a part of the activity's DNA. It isn't "playing to the sheets." They're showing off! This is pageantry! It's part of why we're here. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Oh brother 

Truth. That judge should be reprimanded. His marks (at least for 4th place) were utterly ridiculous, and I don't know how anyone in sound mine could disagree. Regiment's guard isn't even on the same playing field with Bloos, much less 0.1 down from SCV, and 2nd to BD in achievement. Laughable.

I'm find with Cavies guard winning, and Cadets 5th - if you thought that's what I was disagreeing with.

Edited by henry7184

34 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

CG counts a lot more when a judge who doesn't know what he's doing puts you in 4th place when you probably deserve 7th-9th.

Haha. Same for any part of the corps! Don't tell me you guys have never speculated that a corps would've won if not for that one drum judge...

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

Name a time Cadets' whiplash drill was seamlessly reflective of the entire show. What about all those famous mellophone runs? The hornline runs that opened Cadets 97, 01? What about any jazz corps who adds screamers for no real reason other than then fact that they can—and have been doing so since the 70s? 

What you're complaining about is a part of the activity's DNA. It's showing off. It isn't "playing to the sheets." They're showing off! This is pageantry! It's part of why we're here. 

In recent memory, Cadets 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2015 all had intelligent, show-driven drill design. Mello runs are a stylistic element of the drum corps idiom and don't really apply here. Screamers are a stylistic element of jazz and make perfect sense in a jazz show. 

If you're looking for counter examples, try again.

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

Haha. Same for any part of the corps! Don't tell me you guys have never speculated that a corps would've one if not for that one drum judge...

Yes...I have speculated that in the past. But the difference is I speculated that with a line that got 2nd and could have won. Not a color guard that should be in the bottom tier of the top 12 getting 4th.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShortAndFast said:

I also think DCI is needlessly opaque about the adjudication. I'd love to see them release the actual sheets in use each season, some tapes from big shows, maybe  more from the AD or the chief judge about how judges are trained and reviewed.

I'd be interested in that, but so few others are it would be kind of a waste of time and money. 99% of the fans hear the score, say, "oh, ok," and never think about it again.

Mike

All these people complaining about guard scores should all become judges. Plus, I'm sure that judge knows a little bit about the caption given A. That they ARE the judge, and B. That we AREN'T the judge(s). It may not be what you thought it should've been (it certainly wasn't for me) but they clearly are more knowledgeable in the guard category than I (a brass player) am.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

All these people complaining about guard scores should all become judges. Plus, I'm sure that judge knows a little bit about the caption given A. That they ARE the judge, and B. That we AREN'T the judge(s). It may not be what you thought it should've been (it certainly wasn't for me) but they clearly are more knowledgeable in the guard category than I (a brass player) am.

Appeal to authority. Suppose DCI appoints a chimp to judge a caption. Should we trust that score just because they are the judge? Of course not. If the judgement handed down from the authority seems suspect, it's logical and necessary to investigate why.

7 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Truth. That judge should be reprimanded. His marks (at least for 4th place) were utterly ridiculous, and I don't know how anyone in sound mine could disagree. Regiment's guard isn't even on the same playing field with Bloos, much less 0.1 down from SCV, and 2nd to BD in achievement. Laughable.

I'm find with Cavies guard winning, and Cadets 5th - if you thought that's what I was disagreeing with.

I don't disagree that Regiments guard was over scored - however there were a couple rough runs last night among the guards, including one with phasing and drops all over the place whose fans today seem a bit entitled and are dismissing the actual performances. 

I also thought the GE music scores were really insane - so these things have a way of canceling each other out

Personally seems to me (NOT a guard person other than watching for many decades) that BD was far ahead of the other guards. JMO

• Like 2

Just now, pudding said:

Appeal to authority. Suppose DCI appoints a chimp to judge a caption. Should we trust that score just because they are the judge? Of course not. If the judgement handed down from the authority seems suspect, it's logical and necessary to investigate why.

I guess it depends on who it seems suspect to. And I don't think comparing that judge to a chimp is cool. That's quite rude, even if you disagree with them. And that "score" can change the results come finals. Honestly it's about the enjoyment, not the score. People need to quit getting so caught up in scores. Just enjoy the shows and let the staff take judge critique and make their changes.

• Like 1