The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

It's not a loophole, and none of the things you mention (double-tonguing, drum breaks [wtf?], hard drill sections) are some newfangled way to game the system. These have always existed! Even body movements—unless we're all going to pretend that coming to attention, sharply and in unison, isn't exactly the sort of unified body movement this entire activity is founded on. None of this is new, and none of this is a conspiracy. If a distinct "hard drill section" that doesn't necessarily support a show's themes is now going to be considered criminally playing to the sheets, then the Cadets have been in jail since the 80s. 

You guys are making one very grave mistake. You're conflating BD winning with BD being the only corps whose designs are being "rewarded by the judges."

Think about that: you mean to tell me that Carolina Crown wasn't rewarded for their design in 2015, for example, when they got second place in the entire activity? Is that really what second place means? You mean to tell me "old school drum corps" doesn't satisfy the sheets just as much as the new stuff when SCV this year is considered a clear co-frontrunner this year?

If that's rare, it's because corps styles have moved away from it by choice, not because old school style that doesn't "play to the sheets" can't be rewarded by the judges. 

Your assumption that I dislike those things just for existing is false. What I dislike is when those things are thrown into a show for the sake of being there, with no attention being given to making them blend seamlessly with the rest of the show. Having a double-tonguing feature that is part of the source material and which makes sense from a pacing and flow perspective is fine. Having a double-tonguing feature for the sake of having a double-tonguing feature is not.

15 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Interesting recaps. GE tighter tonight.  BD and SCV tied.   Bloo down in visual and 6th in guard.   Crown box 5 in brass and musical analysis. Crown and Bloo tied in percussion. Any of the top can win.  Take your pick.  This is far from a lock for Concord. 

Except for that part where literally nobody has beaten the Blue Devils this year. This reminds me of the vaunted Three Horse Race last year that never, you know, actually materialized.

Very little movement in the standings after SA, and I'll be surprised if there is any to come the rest of this season.

Mike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

yes now the guard counts more than it should and the scoring is still super subjective

Guard counts just as much as brass and percussion. Why do brass/percussion people keep being so weird about this?

Guard counts for the guard score and the viz score — just like brass counts for the brass score and the music scores. Shows aren't "designed around" guards, and the score doesn't hype guards "more than it should." Guards matter as much to the visual side as brass and percussion do to music, and if that's "more than it should," for you, the problem is with you. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Guard counts just as much as brass and percussion. Why do brass/percussion people keep being so weird about this?

Guard counts for the guard score and the viz score — just like brass counts for the brass score and the music scores. Shows aren't "designed around" guards, and the score doesn't hype guards "more than it should." Guards matter as much to the visual side as brass and percussion do to music, and if that's "more than it should," for you, the problem is with you. 

Oh well I stand corrected! Geez

8 minutes ago, CorpwithanS said:

Bring back the tick....

animated-spider-gif-3.gif

2019347-43_tick___spoon.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

CG counts a lot more when a judge who doesn't know what he's doing puts you in 4th place when you probably deserve 7th-9th.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Except for that part where literally nobody has beaten the Blue Devils this year. This reminds me of the vaunted Three Horse Race last year that never, you know, actually materialized.

Very little movement in the standings after SA, and I'll be surprised if there is any to come the rest of this season.

Mike

I could see BD running the table 

but there isn't an idiom defining show this year like their was in 2016 or 2011

there are good shows but none like that, at least yet

i also feel the 4-8 corps will mix it up and the 9/10/11 and the 12/13 spots

some years the tiers aren't as defined and this seems like on of those years more than others 

• Like 1

All the Corps agreed to the sheets. All Corps design their shows " to the sheets". Some better than others, of course. If some Corps arn't where they want, and need to be, " the sheets " is not the problem, the show design is. Other Corps developed better shows " to the sheets ".

However, a judge's calling, is not my calling as a fan. I had no input on the sheets as an audience member/ fan. I do not count on the sheets. But I have two hands. They clap for all Corps shows. But they clap louder and more enthusiastically for those shows that have a cogent, compelling theme that I understand, and is performed well. The judges have no input on this with me. Their sheets are as meaningless to my enjoyment of a Corps show, as I am to the sheets the judges utilize to award points.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

CG counts a lot more when a judge who doesn't know what he's doing puts you in 4th place when you probably deserve 7th-9th.

Oh brother 

• Like 1