The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

On 7/22/2017 at 10:13 PM, Jeffe77 said:

Crown percussion so improved from prior seasons.

On 7/22/2017 at 10:15 PM, Musicman1084 said:

Biggest applause for Crown's show so far sounds like it came after that drum feature, and frankly, it was deserved.  As phenomenal as this brass is, that drumline needs a bit of a pat on the back.  They've grown tremendously over the past several years.

On 7/22/2017 at 10:15 PM, defeldus2 said:

Battery on fire tonight. Get it boys. 

I LOVE THIS SHOW. I'M A FAN AGAIN CMFC!! 

ALSO CROWN BASS 5 SOLO!!!!!!

Yes yes yes yes yes.  

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

I just realized I have a super unpopular opinion about this season.  

Do tell...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Do tell...

I LOVED at the best and didn't mind at the least the usage of singers across the board.  

• Carolina Crowns sits really well live, especially in the closer.  Ballad balance is really improving.  
  • Boston Crusaders is so so so good.  The way she lies in the texture of the brass is absolutely fantastic.  I can't imagine that ballad without her.  
  • Cadets usage is super interesting in terms of an ensemble versus soloist approach and I think it's very successful.  
  • Seattle Cascades singer is incredible, she sounded so good I had just assumed until San Antonio she was a track.  And the layering of her singing into Shostakovich 10 should not work but it absolutely does.  Some of the most creative writing this year.  

13 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I LOVED at the best and didn't mind at the least the usage of singers across the board.  

• Carolina Crowns sits really well live, especially in the closer.  Ballad balance is really improving.  
  • Boston Crusaders is so so so good.  The way she lies in the texture of the brass is absolutely fantastic.  I can't imagine that ballad without her.  
  • Cadets usage is super interesting in terms of an ensemble versus soloist approach and I think it's very successful.  
  • Seattle Cascades singer is incredible, she sounded so good I had just assumed until San Antonio she was a track.  And the layering of her singing into Shostakovich 10 should not work but it absolutely does.  Some of the most creative writing this year.  

I think for some its become a knee jerk reaction to singing.   But yeah, I'm liking a lot of what's going on and the early issues are getting ironed out by a lot of the corps.  

6 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I must be really bored because I'm about to dig through this whole topic to see what everyone thought online.  

I'm rather interested in your opinions regarding the various discussions that I have participated in on this thread. Feel free to mention them here, or in a PM, or even not at all, but yours is generally one of the perspectives that I respect around here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I think for some its become a knee jerk reaction to singing.   But yeah, I'm liking a lot of what's going on and the early issues are getting ironed out by a lot of the corps.  

Knee jerk:  Yeah, we get a lot of that around here -- singers, Bb horns, electronics, obscure/obvious/no show themes, park&bark, Finals in Midwest, body movements.  You name it and somebody's lower leg is a-twitching.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I had not seen the Cascades show before a few minutes ago, but anytime Shostakovich is included, my interest is immediately piqued. That's a singer?! I would've sworn it was some Beyonce track (not that I'm super familiar with those). Impressive "mash up".

I hope Crown keeps working on the ballad. The latest singing changes to NTKO are working really well know, but I find myself just waiting for the ballad to be over (never a good sign).

Edited by lanceengland
typo

One thing I've started paying attention to with corps singing - are the brass simply doubling the singer's melody?  If so, then honestly the singer is superfluous.  Example of good singer integration - Crown's ballad.  Also Cadet's revised opener.  Example of doubled lines - Boston's ballad (preseason, may have changed since then, obviously).

Mike