FLO REFUND

1 hour ago, garfield said:

It appears to me that you don't understand how DCI works.

Your comparison to a rain-out is just silly.  No one can control the weather, but Flo is paid to control the broadcast.  And Flo is a for-profit company; why would I feel good about making a "charitable contribution" to a for-profit contribution?

So you're OK if those with little money pay for a service that provides a crappy product?  What concern does that show for "...those who can't afford to see a show live"?  Is watching crappy Flo productions similar to going to a live show in your world?

"...quit poor mouthing the provider for taking your money and giving you crap in return."  Does this actually work in your world?

My local news has both video and audio, synced up nicely, and delivered on time and as expected.  That sounds better to me than Flo learning about drum corps with my nickel.

I don't care how DCI works. The internal structure and/or dynamics of DCI doesn't matter to me in the least. Or do I care about your or anyone else's social economic strata. Don't get upset with me about your crapy Flo experience. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Your post here made me even more curious; so have I spent around an hour online doing more research on Flowrestling.  I read through the websites for Team USA, Intermat Wrestle HS, Wrestling USA Online Magazine, various NCAA sites referencing Flowrestling, and the BBB page linked here on DCP.  While I found the typical reviews and comments that all business receive (and most who post to the BBB for any business will always be negative), here is what I discovered: While there were some negative comments, many others were positive, even with some positive articles (including OSU actually praising Flosports for manning-up in both apologizing and offering refunds for the bandwith crash that happened during the PSU OSU match). So, if you have verifiable information which can show that the majority of the 'wrestling community can't stand them', please supply a way for me to access that information.

Obviously, there's no way to prove that "the majority of the wrestling community can't stand them." There's just bits of anecdotal evidence.

The "Flo versus the wrestling community" issue, as it pertains to the Oklahoma State/ Penn State situation, is multi-faceted. Flo apparently signed an exclusive agreement to be the sole video provider for Oklahoma State wrestling matches. At the end of the duals season, the OSU/PSU match was set up to be the wrestling equivalent of football's BCS -- essentially a matchup between the top two programs to decide who was number 1. OSU was hosting the meet, and so Flo claimed it had the exclusive rights to the broadcast. I think there was some legal maneuvering as well. Long story short, wrestling fans outside of OSU were a bit peeved that they would have to subscribe to a service to see what was essentially the dual meet wrestling equivalent of a national championship. Then, (and here comes the parallels to our situation), they were not able to provide a suitable stream of the OSU/PSU meet.

Here's one viewpoint, from a Penn State sports blog: (source article)

The broadcast? Ugh, the broadcast. Yes, the Championship was an issue this year, because FloWrestling is continuing to transition from “frat guys pirating video and streaming it illegally”, and into “we’re (sort of) running a business here”. It’s a transition which, I suspect, has just been greatly helped along by a serious kick in the pants from this Sunday’s failure.

My take. Flo is trying, but probably grew a bit too fast or spread themselves too thin, and are having scaling issues. They will absolutely have to fix these issues (both on the marching arts side, and on the sports side) in order for their business to succeed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

He was providing straight facts and you decided to have a childish and stupid response. 

_WbgEJFSV-j3mu9jh3ivI1jzoMdF8oN1Bj-YpgEE

but your gif is a bit childish and stupid as well. 

2 minutes ago, E3D said:

but your gif is a bit childish and stupid as well. 

It only seemed like the appropriate response to your post

Just now, Cappybara said:

It only seemed like the appropriate response to your post

:lle:

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Doesn't DCI use a different crew for Championship Week? I highly doubt the stream people see in theatres is through Flo

No doubt. They almost certainly contract with an outside firm for these shows. Hey aren't hiring kids from the local area to come in and bang on a mic head to see if it is on.

Having not fact-checked Stu (I have no reason to believe he's lying), it does seem that Flo did indeed have a statement in their policy/agreement when a user signs up for the service indicating that they are not liable for technical glitches that occur by accident. 

Seeing that is the case, I think the whining over this is a bit excessive. Complain with your wallet. Cancel your subscription. 

Trying to wrangle potentially empty apologies from them isn't going to have nearly the same effect as users actually unsubscribing from their service. 

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

No doubt. They almost certainly contract with an outside firm for these shows. Hey aren't hiring kids from the local area to come in and bang on a mic head to see if it is on.

From what I heard on the show thread, one of the mics was pointing towards the audience instead of the field. 

If true, LOL. I don't know what monkeys Flo is hiring. 

45 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I don't care how DCI works. The internal structure and/or dynamics of DCI doesn't matter to me in the least. Or do I care about your or anyone else's social economic strata. Don't get upset with me about your crapy Flo experience. Tell someone who gives a ####. 

On the one hand you say those who are dissatisfied should just put up and shut up (and accept their "charitable donation" to Flo).  Now you're saying they should tell someone who cares.  Which is your real suggestion?

I'm not upset with anyone and, in fact, I don't care about you at all.  I'm smart enough, and I suspect most people here are smart enough, to know that you have no power what-so-ever to address or solve any problems that anyone has with the product that DCI puts out (either live or streamed) because, by your own admission, you know nothing about such things, nor do you care.

So, it's pretty apparent that you simply came into the thread to tell the complainers to shut up, and your simple suggestion is not a solution except to you because, if only everyone on the thread just followed your "advice", you wouldn't have to listen to the complaints.  Got it.

I'm not upset at anyone.  It's just band, and my Flo subscription is one of the benefits of my economic strata that you don't care about either.  Check.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

On the one hand you say those who are dissatisfied should just put up and shut up (and accept their "charitable donation" to Flo.  Now you're saying they should tell someone who cares.

I'm not upset with anyone and, in fact, I don't care about you at all.  I'm smart enough, and I suspect most people here are smart enough, to know that you have no power what-so-ever to address or solve any problems that anyone has with the product that DCI puts out (either live or streamed) because, by your own admission, you know nothing about such things, nor do you care.

So, it's pretty apparent that you simply came into the thread to the complainer to shut up, and your simple suggestion is not a solution except to you because if only everyone on the thread follows your "advice", it prevents you having to listen to the complaints.  Got it.

I'm not upset at anyone.  It's just band, and my Flo subscription is one of the benefits of my economic strata that you don't care about either.  Check.

Well move your chair to the front of the class, you got it now. 

• Like 1