2017 Coming Down the Home Stretch...let the speculation fly

I’m not nearly as knowledgeable or seasoned as the rest of you, but here’s my two cents…

1) Blue Devils - I don’t want them to win, but I think they will. Their closer is falling flat for me since they added the giant window, but they’ll certainly do something with it — and hopefully it won’t be underwhelming, but you never know.

2) Santa Clara Vanguard - I want them to win, but I don’t think they will… not unless they add something glorious come Indy (and given that it’s their 50th anniversary, it might be naive to think they won’t).

3) Bluecoats - I agree with a previous poster, if they don’t pass Crown it will be an upset. It’s an entertaining and challenging show, and if they don’t medal I suspect it will be due to a lack of polishing.

4) Carolina Crown - I’m all for taking risks and trying new things, but I just can’t wrap my head around why they’d want to make a vocalist the star of their show when, arguably, their brass is the star of DCI. I just can’t bring myself to like this show, but I’m really trying. If they beat Bloo… imma be sad.

5) The Cavaliers - Unlike many (most?) of the rest of you, I absolutely love the Mars: Bringer of War/My Way mash-up. Their guard is on point, and I appreciate the cheesiness in their show. Overall, I think it sends a really dark (and at the end, somewhat cacophonous) message about mankind and I’m here for it.

6) Boston Crusaders - Thanks, Satan! This is my favorite show concept of the season. I’d love to see them place even higher than sixth, but I expect the Cavies will hold them off. I’m not entirely fond of vocals in drum corps, but if it’s going to be done, this feels like the way to do it. The vocalist ethereally sneaks in a nice little bonus to the overall experience without stealing the show, or even the song, and it gives me chills. I'm sure the makers of Wacky Waving Inflatable Flame Flailing Tube Torches will finally see their overstocked warehouses emptied.

7) The Cadets - The first time I saw this show, I hated it before it started (because religion and vocalists). Then, the vocalists did a quick warm-up and I thought, “Oh, okay! I’m listening.” Anyway, I was disappointed. However, after seeing them again last weekend with their new closer and the other changes they’ve made, I’m sold. I like this show, and may even love it, but I don’t think it’s got the juice to beat BAC.

8) Blue Knights - Difficulty notwithstanding, this is my favorite music this year. It’s absolutely ####### beautiful. To me, the show conveys a sense of isolation and I’d be shocked if it wasn’t somewhat inspired by Black Mirror. When I saw that they were closing with “Hide and Seek” my brain became flooded with a deluge of memes and that SNL skit, but they brought back the feeling I felt when I first heard the song years ago, before it was ruined for me by The Internet. Solid eighth place, unfortunately.

9) Phantom Regiment - Oddly, this is probably the most forgettable show of the top thirteen for me. I love the music and the guard (and sweet jebus, the uniforms look ###### despite the impracticality of kneepad placement), but the show just doesn’t really give me any “WOW” moments. That being said, it’s still enjoyable to watch… and I’d take it over a few others (looking at you, Crown) if I was ranking my personal enjoyment.

10) Crossmen - This show was one of my early favorites; and it’s not that I like it less, it’s that I now like others more. “Exit Music” takes my breath away... and the feeling of entrapment, and then escape only to feel no more free than before hits me right in the feels. But I dunno, I think a lot (all?) of this show can be left up to interpretation, and I think they’ll hold strong at ten.

11) Blue Stars - Okay, yeah, sure, how dare I? Perhaps I’m still salty that they didn’t make Moulin Rouge!’s “Roxanne” the pinnacle of their closer (or include it at all). If you’re gonna throw Romeo & Juliet and Moulin Rouge! at me, give me a heart-wrenching, tragic ending. Anyway, I think the judges might see things as I do. They probably won’t, but here’s to saltiness.

12) ...Your guess is probably better than mine. I’m rooting for Mandies, but Maddies are strong and I’m not without sympathy given they were bumped out of finals last year. Didn’t someone suggest a tie for twelfth? Would that be so terrible? Could we just have a top thirteen this year? It seems we’ve been lucky enough with an absolutely incredible season full of phenomenal shows all around… perhaps we could throw in an unlucky number to bring balance to The Force?

Captions, meh...

Percussion - SCV
Brass - Crown
Color Guard - Cavies
Music - BD
Visual - SCV
GE - #### if I know (but I’m thinking SCV)

• Like 3

It seems apparent that the title race is slotting into a simple "will SCV catch BD".  Ironic, because the one corps in the top 4 that has really succeeded in cleaning and refining their act IMO is Carolina Crown.  Regardless, my guess is that SCV will prevail because BD is just way too dirty in too many areas too late in the game.  

I have nothing but positive reactions to the 2017 edition of the Boston Crusaders.  The show feeds both judges and fans, and every section of this corps is (excuse the pun) on fire.  I would have them 5th (at least), and maybe the judges will entertain that possibility if Cavaliers drumline fails to attend to some unfinished business.

The one certainty I see is Cadets in 7th.

Wow, are Blue Knights performing well musically.  I pick them for 8th.  

I guess Phantom Regiment will be next.  To me, it seems glaringly obvious that Blue Stars are better, but the judges consistently disagree with me, so why should they change now?  Crossmen have been dueling with Blue Stars, but seem to be a smidge out of sorts lately, so Blue Stars 10th and Crossmen 11th.

My head says Madison.  My heart says Mandarins.  I think the final results will go like my head predicts, unless Mandarins clean up beyond expectations.

Honorable mention - Academy is performing like a finalist.  I can see they are hopelessly slotted out of finals, regardless of strength of performance.  It is remotely possible that they could nip 13th from Mandarins as a consolation prize, but it does not appear they can get past Madison.

18 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

It seems apparent that the title race is slotting into a simple "will SCV catch BD".  Ironic, because the one corps in the top 4 that has really succeeded in cleaning and refining their act IMO is Carolina Crown.  Regardless, my guess is that SCV will prevail because BD is just way too dirty in too many areas too late in the game.  

I have nothing but positive reactions to the 2017 edition of the Boston Crusaders.  The show feeds both judges and fans, and every section of this corps is (excuse the pun) on fire.  I would have them 5th (at least), and maybe the judges will entertain that possibility if Cavaliers drumline fails to attend to some unfinished business.

The one certainty I see is Cadets in 7th.

Wow, are Blue Knights performing well musically.  I pick them for 8th.  

I guess Phantom Regiment will be next.  To me, it seems glaringly obvious that Blue Stars are better, but the judges consistently disagree with me, so why should they change now?  Crossmen have been dueling with Blue Stars, but seem to be a smidge out of sorts lately, so Blue Stars 10th and Crossmen 11th.

My head says Madison.  My heart says Mandarins.  I think the final results will go like my head predicts, unless Mandarins clean up beyond expectations.

Honorable mention - Academy is performing like a finalist.  I can see they are hopelessly slotted out of finals, regardless of strength of performance.  It is remotely possible that they could nip 13th from Mandarins as a consolation prize, but it does not appear they can get past Madison.

If BD is way too dirty I hate to see what you think of other corps.

• Like 3

BD isn't even close to dirty. SCV is scary good. I keep them both 1 and 2. Before tonight I'd say Bloo has a chance to take over 3rd, but now I don't know. Cavies way too close for comfort. This is gonna be fun.

• Like 1

1. Blue Devils

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. THE CAVALIERS

4. Carolina Crown

5. Bluecoats

6. Boston Crusaders

7. The Cadets

8. Blue Knights

9. Phantom Regiment

10. Crossmen

11. Blue Stars

12. Madison Scouts

GE - Blue Devils

Visual - Blue Devils

Brass - Carolina Crown

Drums - Santa Clara Vanguard

Guard - Cavaliers

* I hope I'm wrong and SCV wins.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, furious-winter said:

I’m not nearly as knowledgeable or seasoned as the rest of you, but here’s my two cents…

1) Blue Devils - I don’t want them to win, but I think they will. Their closer is falling flat for me since they added the giant window, but they’ll certainly do something with it — and hopefully it won’t be underwhelming, but you never know.

2) Santa Clara Vanguard - I want them to win, but I don’t think they will… not unless they add something glorious come Indy (and given that it’s their 50th anniversary, it might be naive to think they won’t).

3) Bluecoats - I agree with a previous poster, if they don’t pass Crown it will be an upset. It’s an entertaining and challenging show, and if they don’t medal I suspect it will be due to a lack of polishing.

4) Carolina Crown - I’m all for taking risks and trying new things, but I just can’t wrap my head around why they’d want to make a vocalist the star of their show when, arguably, their brass is the star of DCI. I just can’t bring myself to like this show, but I’m really trying. If they beat Bloo… imma be sad.

5) The Cavaliers - Unlike many (most?) of the rest of you, I absolutely love the Mars: Bringer of War/My Way mash-up. Their guard is on point, and I appreciate the cheesiness in their show. Overall, I think it sends a really dark (and at the end, somewhat cacophonous) message about mankind and I’m here for it.

6) Boston Crusaders - Thanks, Satan! This is my favorite show concept of the season. I’d love to see them place even higher than sixth, but I expect the Cavies will hold them off. I’m not entirely fond of vocals in drum corps, but if it’s going to be done, this feels like the way to do it. The vocalist ethereally sneaks in a nice little bonus to the overall experience without stealing the show, or even the song, and it gives me chills. I'm sure the makers of Wacky Waving Inflatable Flame Flailing Tube Torches will finally see their overstocked warehouses emptied.

7) The Cadets - The first time I saw this show, I hated it before it started (because religion and vocalists). Then, the vocalists did a quick warm-up and I thought, “Oh, okay! I’m listening.” Anyway, I was disappointed. However, after seeing them again last weekend with their new closer and the other changes they’ve made, I’m sold. I like this show, and may even love it, but I don’t think it’s got the juice to beat BAC.

8) Blue Knights - Difficulty notwithstanding, this is my favorite music this year. It’s absolutely ####### beautiful. To me, the show conveys a sense of isolation and I’d be shocked if it wasn’t somewhat inspired by Black Mirror. When I saw that they were closing with “Hide and Seek” my brain became flooded with a deluge of memes and that SNL skit, but they brought back the feeling I felt when I first heard the song years ago, before it was ruined for me by The Internet. Solid eighth place, unfortunately.

9) Phantom Regiment - Oddly, this is probably the most forgettable show of the top thirteen for me. I love the music and the guard (and sweet jebus, the uniforms look ###### despite the impracticality of kneepad placement), but the show just doesn’t really give me any “WOW” moments. That being said, it’s still enjoyable to watch… and I’d take it over a few others (looking at you, Crown) if I was ranking my personal enjoyment.

10) Crossmen - This show was one of my early favorites; and it’s not that I like it less, it’s that I now like others more. “Exit Music” takes my breath away... and the feeling of entrapment, and then escape only to feel no more free than before hits me right in the feels. But I dunno, I think a lot (all?) of this show can be left up to interpretation, and I think they’ll hold strong at ten.

11) Blue Stars - Okay, yeah, sure, how dare I? Perhaps I’m still salty that they didn’t make Moulin Rouge!’s “Roxanne” the pinnacle of their closer (or include it at all). If you’re gonna throw Romeo & Juliet and Moulin Rouge! at me, give me a heart-wrenching, tragic ending. Anyway, I think the judges might see things as I do. They probably won’t, but here’s to saltiness.

12) ...Your guess is probably better than mine. I’m rooting for Mandies, but Maddies are strong and I’m not without sympathy given they were bumped out of finals last year. Didn’t someone suggest a tie for twelfth? Would that be so terrible? Could we just have a top thirteen this year? It seems we’ve been lucky enough with an absolutely incredible season full of phenomenal shows all around… perhaps we could throw in an unlucky number to bring balance to The Force?

Captions, meh...

Percussion - SCV
Brass - Crown
Color Guard - Cavies
Music - BD
Visual - SCV
GE - #### if I know (but I’m thinking SCV)

I love your thoughts on the Cavies. I'm a big fan of the mashup. It's unsettling and a unique take (imo) on toxic masculinity. 

• Like 3

I predict Cavies, Bloo, and Crown are in for a wild ride over the next week or so

28 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

It seems apparent that the title race is slotting into a simple "will SCV catch BD".

It's not slotting. They are both far and away the best two corps this year. No one is in their league. No one. Not Crown. Not Bloo. Not Cavies. It is a two man race and it should be.

• Like 3