2017 Coming Down the Home Stretch...let the speculation fly

37 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think the challenge BD faces from an audience perspective is that some portion of the viewing public just doesn't find those motions particularly interesting. To those fans, BD may as well be doing calculus while they perform: sure, it requires talent, but what does it really add to the show?

A somewhat sophomoric attempt to pay homage to Fosse with bent legs, lunges, tacky uniforms, bowler hats, walking sticks and the like, does not show innovation of design. In execution those body shaping  images, previously seen, and bit dated, fall short visually. Multiply this with a flawed prop that bisects the field and reduces the drill to a series of follow the leader, up, over, down, and thru the monolith. This equates to a less than medal worthy show. I can listen to this show over and over again.  I am less interested in seeing it again...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CorpwithanS said:

According to whom..the DCP braintrust? lol Everyone is 'cleaning' up and adding.

No braintrust just my read based on multiple viewings.  BAC is achieving their show very well and that is rightly keeping them ahead of Cadets.  Cadets have a lot more to clean and their rep numbers should be rewarded accordingly if they pull it off.  Simply put Cadets program has a higher ceiling, if they achieve it.  

3 minutes ago, Sideways said:

No braintrust just my read based on multiple viewings.  BAC is achieving their show very well and that is rightly keeping them ahead of Cadets.  Cadets have a lot more to clean and their rep numbers should be rewarded accordingly if they pull it off.  Simply put Cadets program has a higher ceiling, if they achieve it.  

Season's far from over. Good Luck to all.

3 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

A somewhat sophomoric attempt to pay homage to Fosse with bent legs, lunges, tacky uniforms, bowler hats, walking sticks and the like, does not show innovation of design. In execution those body shaping  images, previously seen, and bit dated, fall short visually. Multiply this with a flawed prop that bisects the field and reduces the drill to a series of follow the leader, up, over, down, and thru the monolith. This equates to a less than medal worthy show. I can listen to this show over and over again.  I am less interested in seeing it again...

Some judges may feel that way. Others may feel that BD's moves are like watching someone do calculus. À chacun son goût.

• Like 1

1. Blue Devils - I didn't like their show at first, but now it's one of my fav shows this year. It'll be really close with SCV come finals.

2. SCV - Tbh, I still dont get their show this year. Guard and brass are much improved from last year.

3. Bloo - Their medal streak stays alive. They have a lot to clean to jump crown. I think they can do it.

4. Crown - They place 4th in GE. Wins brass

5. Cavs - Settled on 5th.

6. Boston -

7. Cadets

8. Blue Knights

9. Phantom

10. Blue Stars

11. Crossmen

12. Madison 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

I need to see everyone in Allentown. My predictions are usually better when I experience everyone live, but if speculation can run wild, I'll put BAC in 5th, though catching Cavies will be a challenge. I'll hold off until I see BK tonight to decide whether they'll catch Cadets. Yes, Cadets have surged in finals week, but not in recent years, but this has not been a typical year for the Cadets, so you never know.

I think there is no practical way Knights catch Cadets. Guard design and performance gap is too large.

Boston is likely solid at six. 

My gut is:

1. SCV

2. BD

3. Bluecoats

4. Crown

5. Cavaliers

6. Boston

7. Cadets

8. Phantom

9. Knights

10. Blue Stars

11. Crossmen

12. Scouts

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeBD said:

I can understand this argument.  It comes down to apples and oranges.  I personally think it adds a lot to the show but that is just my opinion.  Obviously I am biased.  I love the dance steps (for lack of a better name) in Everything Must Change.

My favorite musical moment of the season is Everything Must Change. But it's the biggest cheese drill BD does. I adds zero to effect and isn't even that unique or different. Don't get me wrong, I bought my Nashville tickets where I did so I would be sitting dead in front of that ensemble, and it smoked me. But that drill...come on, it's not even drill. 

4 hours ago, defeldus2 said:

Crown will not drop a spot to BC. Crown is too clean and BC are too dirty. 

BD COULD drop gold to SCV, all depending on their additions and the GE benefits they bring. My hopes are for an SCV ring. 

The gap has been steadily closing between Crown and coats for two weeks now, and for all intents and purposes they are now tied. Crown can clean this show until it squeaks, it has a fraction of the energy of Bluecoats, and their guard is still a boat anchor to their sheets. I actually now think it will be an upset if Bluecoats don't take the bronze.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

My favorite musical moment of the season is Everything Must Change. But it's the biggest cheese drill BD does. I adds zero to effect and isn't even that unique or different. Don't get me wrong, I bought my Nashville tickets where I did so I would be sitting dead in front of that ensemble, and it smoked me. But that drill...come on, it's not even drill. 

My friend, former Phantom member, hadn't seen any shows this year and asked me about BD's show...I said "It is a fantastic concert with some cool visuals. They are solid, they just don't march that much, seems like 80% of the show is body movement and jazz running."

I would listen to this BD show over and over, but wouldn't watch it over and over like i would with SVC, Bloo, or Boston.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Some judges may feel that way. Others may feel that BD's moves are like watching someone do calculus. À chacun son goût.

I took calc at uni but didn't have the moves of BD!! I suppose your analogy is lost on me...  très bien!!! "To each his own" could be a forum!

Edited by whitedj2002
:)
  • Like 1