Most Technically Excellent Show You Have Seen (Live)

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

Please define 3-D movement; because in the video clip I only see vertical and horizontal drill movement.

That's interesting. I can never see the hidden image in those "Magic Eye" pictures, but when I watch Crown's show, the drill pops out to my eyes as if the apex of the pyramid were floating 30 feet above the field. Even when I saw it live. They almost pulled that off with the cube the previous year, too. The images that pudding mentions (Cavs '95, Phantom '13), nice as both of them are, don't even seem to be trying for the same sort of effect, much less coming anywhere near pulling it off.

It's a shame Crown abandoned their third such effort in their 2014 show, although maybe that would have been impossible..

Edited by N.E. Brigand

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That's interesting. I can never see the hidden image in those "Magic Eye" pictures, but when I watch Crown's show, the drill pops out to my eyes as if the apex of the pyramid were floating 30 feet above the field. Even when I saw it live. They almost pulled that off with the cube the previous year, too. The images that pudding mentions (Cavs '95, Phantom '13), nice as both of them are, don't even seem to be trying for the same sort of effect, much less coming anywhere near pulling it off.

It's a shame Crown abandoned their third such effort in their 2014 show, although maybe that would have been impossible..

1995 Cavaliers is definitely shoddily done (IIRC they just tacked it on Finals week or something) but I think that it's notable for being revolutionary (heh) all the way back then.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Even so, that clip may still show the single greatest marching maneuver ever.

Nobody but Crown has even tried a 3-D move, much less executed it successfully enough to work, right?

Single greatest move; if that is your opinion so be it. However, Zingali, Brubaker, Brazale, Gaines all had these types of moves in their show designs, and their corps, especially the Cavaliers under Gaines, performed them extremely better than Crown.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Single greatest move; if that is your opinion so be it. However, Zingali, Brubaker, Brazale, Gaines all had these types of moves in their show designs, and their corps, especially the Cavaliers under Gaines, performed them extremely better.

Your comment reminded me of 2006 Cavaliers. That stretching block they had is incredible, the first stretch into the corner, if I look at it just right I can almost picture it not as a stretching rectangle but as a stationary building that we're just shifting the camera on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Single greatest move; if that is your opinion so be it. However, Zingali, Brubaker, Brazale, Gaines all had these types of moves in their show designs, and their corps, especially the Cavaliers under Gaines, performed them extremely better than Crown.

Don't get me wrong. I love those designs and how they were executed (usually). "Samurai" may be the greatest visual achievement in drum corps. But for me, the most impressive maneuver, even if not perfectly achieved, is Crown's pyramid optical illusion.

1 minute ago, pudding said:

Your comment reminded me of 2006 Cavaliers. That stretching block they had is incredible, the first stretch into the corner, if I look at it just right I can almost picture it not as a stretching rectangle but as a stationary building that we're just shifting the camera on.

Go all the way back to the '80s with Brubaker's expanding/contracting wave, or Brizale's two boxes that passed through each other and changed direction, or Zingsli's crazy stuff.

• Like 2

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Don't get me wrong. I love those designs and how they were executed (usually). "Samurai" may be the greatest visual achievement in drum corps. But for me, the most impressive maneuver, even if not perfectly achieved, is Crown's pyramid optical illusion.

Were you there in the '80s up top to see the drill creations of Brubaker, Zingali, and Brazale; the Father's of this type of movement?

• Like 4

1978 Phantom Regiment

1991 Star of Indiana 

Cadets 2005. August 2. Pittsburgh PA.  The first DCI show I ever saw live. I was very impressed but it wasn't my favorite show of the night.

Edited by ThePlanets