2017 World Championships Prelims - Aug 10

4 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

I didn't realize this until scampering over to their website, but the drum corps arm of the WGI power house River City Rhythm started as an Open Class corps and went to the World Championships its first year, 2015. I knew that this was their third year competing, but it's so odd (and a GREAT sign for RCR's management skills as an organization) for a corps to be accepted into Open Class their very first year of existence. There's an application process that of course is nowhere near as stringent as the threshold for World Class, but it exists nonetheless and makes sure that corps are financially viable before that are awarded Open Class status. Anyway, it's SUPER rare for a corps to be accepted without existing AT ALL beforehand...often as a Soundsport group, but more regularly as a musical entity that does parades and other local things to gain traction and membership. But no, RCR's drum corps arm was accepted as an Open Class its' first year in existence, and travelled to Michigan City & Indy for Finals :blink: That shows signs of a huge future for the organization!

IIRC, they laid down a good foundation by fielding an indoor group for a few years prior so they could step into Open Class with a good financial base. It was a smart move. 

5 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

I didn't realize this until scampering over to their website, but the drum corps arm of the WGI power house River City Rhythm started as an Open Class corps and went to the World Championships its first year, 2015. I knew that this was their third year competing, but it's so odd (and a GREAT sign for RCR's management skills as an organization) for a corps to be accepted into Open Class their very first year of existence. There's an application process that of course is nowhere near as stringent as the threshold for World Class, but it exists nonetheless and makes sure that corps are financially viable before that are awarded Open Class status. Anyway, it's SUPER rare for a corps to be accepted without existing AT ALL beforehand...often as a Soundsport group, but more regularly as a musical entity that does parades and other local things to gain traction and membership. But no, RCR's drum corps arm was accepted as an Open Class its' first year in existence, and travelled to Michigan City & Indy for Finals :blink: That shows signs of a huge future for the organization!

Yes. The roots are indoor. Which shows in the design and the awesome percussion. Horn line is coming along too. They should rise well. 

2 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

I see my wife down there to the right of the camera boom. Grey t-shirt and blue ball cap. I went to the bathroom lol.

7th Regiment shirt?  I see you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gjramsey said:

Over/under on number of pages this thread has by the end of the night.

All bets are off if BD has Clara come through that window at the end of their show 

• Like 2