Boston Crusaders 2018

30 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yup thats it, tho a lot less snow. 

Lots of Marriages have ceremonies up in Vermont scheduled this time of year. Best of future happiness to your friend/ bride.

Image result for sugarbush in summer pictures

• Like 2

Tom Hanks did utilize a carved wooden stick to spear for fish off  the ocean waters of his deserted island in the movie Cast Away, so if Boston's Guard will be utilizing spears at certain segments of the Boston 2018 show it would jive with this . ' Not  saying this is the reason for the spears that Keith here mentioned above that will be utilized in this year's show by the Guard but it would at least be consistent with the movie script in Cast Away, anyway.( I have no idea at the moment if its the connection here however. )

Image result for tom hanks with long spear in movie Cast Away

Edited by BRASSO

I said to Steve, "Lord of the Flies?" He smiled. But, I'm still not sure either. I did not get a chance to interview anyone further and perhaps I should not have mentioned the spears (12). During the rehearsal of the dark, powerful sequence, there were several raspy horn blares by the line, and deep beast sounds emanating from Anna's synth device that they were tweaking. Perhaps this is an amalgamation of several themes ie. cast away, lost, LOTF, etc., though I did not see any hand-painted volleyballs.

There are four mics front right and it appears that brass players also may have a signing part, though they did not do that part of the show. (PS. Aubrie Lee is working with Steve the prop guy.)

Regrettably, I did not hear the entire rep. Can't wait to see it all come together. You all have very good reason to be as excited as I am.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Tom Hanks did utilize a carved wooden stick to spear for fish off  the ocean waters of his deserted island in the movie Cast Away, so if Boston's Guard will be utilizing spears at certain segments of the Boston 2018 show it would jive with this . ' Not  saying this is the reason for the spears that Keith here mentioned above that will be utilized in this year's show by the Guard but it would at least be consistent with the movie script in Cast Away, anyway.( I have no idea at the moment if its the connection here however. )

Image result for tom hanks with long spear in movie Cast Away

Would that in fact make them ...wait for it...LANCERS ?!?!?!?:innocent:

40 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

I said to Steve, "Lord of the Flies?" He smiled. But, I'm still not sure either. I did not get a chance to interview anyone further and perhaps I should not have mentioned the spears (12). During the rehearsal of the dark, powerful sequence, there were several raspy horn blares by the line, and deep beast sounds emanating from Anna's synth device that they were tweaking. Perhaps this is an amalgamation of several themes ie. cast away, lost, LOTF, etc., though I did not see any hand-painted volleyballs.

There are four mics front right and it appears that brass players also may have a signing part, though they did not do that part of the show. (PS. Aubrie Lee is working with Steve the prop guy.)

Regrettably, I did not hear the entire rep. Can't wait to see it all come together. You all have very good reason to be as excited as I am.

I had said to some friends back in winter camps, that the  2018 show might be drawing inspiration from the novel and movie " Lord of the Flies ". So its interesting you mentioned this as just one more possibility here this morning Keith. Oh the current intrigue on what it might actually turn out to be... lol!. Incidentally,  I  enjoyed your travelogue writings with the Corps when you were there with them last summer, and going from show to show, and posting your observations and musings along the way. It was not all Drum Corps related either, and that was another fascinating aspect about it. You have a natural gift for writing. I thoroughly enjoyed it as part of my summer's readings.  You kept this reader engaged throughout with it. Kudos.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I had said back in winter camps, that the  2018 show might be drawing inspiration from the novel and movie " Lord of the Flies ". So its funny you mentioned this here this morning Keith. Oh the intrigue on what it might actually turn out to be... lol!. Incidentally,  I  did enjoy your travelogue writings with the Corps when you were there for a bit with them, and going from show to show, and posting your thoughts and musings. You have a natural gift for writing, and you kept this reader engaged throughout with it.

Thank you, Brasso. You are one of the DCP members that I hope to meet this season. I have enjoyed your knowledge, insight and wit in these posts. As you know from reading my blog that I am sort of a newcomer to modern drum corps, having been away from it for 40 years when I marched in a small corps and went to competitions with my brother back in the 70s. My rediscovery in 2012 was a life changing experience. Thankfully, I devoured the online content before DCI pulled it to also get caught up on the great programs and music over the decades. Touring a portion of last year with BAC was making up for the loss of my brother and missing out on some great stuff over the years. I felt it was important to share my experience and I think I set a good tone. However, I look forward to comments, suggestions and corrections from you all.

I now have something as exciting to do in the summer as I do skiing (teaching) in the winter. Though I will not be touring with a Corps this season, I look forward to writing about my perspective from the 50 yd line and hope to meet a lot of interesting people along the way.

BTW - I love all of the corps. It's going to be a great season in the east cost with the Cadets staying in their home turf. Let's hope they get a lot of love, too!

• Like 3

got a call yesterday....heard some of the show.

ohhhhh ####.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kevin Russell said:

The member I talked to this past winter mentioned that their show was loosely based (in part) on a book. 

3 hours ago, Kevin Russell said:

Hey folks,

Small world:

I teach skiing for Sugarbush, located in Vermont's Mad River Valley about 90 minutes north of Castleton. My daughter, Andrea Cheney is the wedding planner for Sugarbush Resort. It is a great place in the summer as well as winter (bring your hiking boots, mt. bike, and golf clubs).

Yesterday, I drove down to Castleton to see some friends that I made last year while touring with the corps, and to catch the ensemble rehearsal. Maybe you read my blog: I Ran Away with the Drum Corps, that was re-run as a series in Drum Corps World during the past 10 months (final episode next issue), about my experience touring 23 days as a volunteer with BAC in 2017.

It was great to see Steve, the prop guy on the job. He is the most dedicated, hardest working, and kindest adult in drum corps and has been encamped with the corps from the beginning of spring training. It was a privilege to work with him last season. The large props will arrive June 1, but meanwhile he and his crew were working on some hand-held props (spears).

The corps is well encamped in dorm rooms and enjoying meals prepared in the college cafeteria. I recognized many members from last year among many new members who all seem to have known each other forever. Ryan, brass instructor, stated that the uptick of the quality of new members has exceeded their expectations. I did not see Anthony, the Corps' chef who tours, or Ron, the touring director so I will be back again before they head out on tour.

After dinner, the entire ensemble, with the exception of the guard, rehearsed on the main field. The color guard was rehearsing on an adjoining field as the constant beat of the metronome echoed across the country. I was one of two or three others who came to observe. The rehearsal is open and they encourage it, though keep your cell-phone/camera in your pocket.

Page to page, measure by measure, Gino, Colin, Michael and the creative team worked the corps through the book from the scaffolding above, while the visual team worked with the members on the field as they adjusted to their dots. Everyone on the field gave there full attention well into the evening under the lights. They were working through a particularly powerful sequence of the program. What a treat to once again be in the epicenter of sound that resonates through the total body.

Being in front of this corps again triggered that hard wire from the brain to the tear ducts. I felt that indelible BAC vibe that I tried to put into words last year, with some challenge to fully explain. Everyone was in great spirits and humor. You really should try to catch some of that esprit and go see them in Vermont or anywhere else they will be encamped this summer.

I will be at the Community Night on June 12 and hope to meet some of you folks. You will also find me in a 50 yard line seat in stands at several events in the east this season.

Kevin Russell

Kevin, Thank you for the scenario at Castleton, and to the other posters with their observations. Its giving me a hint of what is coming.  At sea in the Pacific at the moment, but will be back drivi,g one of the equip. Trailers in Orlando..PC from Stowe

• Like 4