Cadets 2018

16 hours ago, George Dixon said:

here some tasty pit bits from the ballad

IMo the big win is attention to detail in technique, something last year i felt was lacking a smidge because of what they were asked to do. great control of intervolic spreads, awesome inner/outer control, wrist rotations are sublime

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Except we havn't read anywhere on Social Media after the Cadets installed a new YEA Board/ New Corps Director that Drum Corps fans nationally have " left us ( Cadets ) for dead ". Reports are glowing as a mattter of fact, ie " no marcher left the Cadets after GH left "...." Percussion could win the Sanford Trophy this season".... " top 5 this season "... " morale is better than its been in years "... and " Design team/ Guard will shine this season without GH "... and so forth.  Everyone I know is quite pleased the Cadets marchers are seemingly on track to be better this season now that GH is no longer there gumming up the design works/ uniforms. I havn;t read the narrative anywhere that " everyone left us ( Cadets ) for dead'.  Fortunately, quite the opposite as a matter of fact. A Corps as iconic as the Holy Name ( and later Garfield ) Cadets were a multi year National Titles winning outstanding Drum Corps before George Hopkins was even born, let alone years later come in from outside to take over the reins there.  Cadets we're told will be fine. Assuming the financials are in order ( no reason to think otherwise at the moment either ) most eveyone I know thinks the Cadets will shine this season and beyond.

the vibe i'd take is "yeah we're still here and better than before".

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

IMo the big win is attention to detail in technique, something last year i felt was lacking a smidge because of what they were asked to do. great control of intervolic spreads, awesome inner/outer control, wrist rotations are sublime

English please lol 

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

English please lol 

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yes, I was confused too. Wrist rotations isn't a drill move I've seen any  major corps do, ho, ho, ho.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

for you OH folks - 

34693654_10156578855031349_2338589467671

Now if I am in Boston at 5 pm for BAC's concert and financial shakedown, if I try really, really hard I might be able to steer my drone to Ada in time for the 8 pm start. Bi-location is getting so tough these days.

27 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Ok, but you are applying an arbitrary time restriction to the post you were originally replying to in order to make it fit your narrative.

Don't believe so. I was quite consistent in what time frame I was referring too... but... whatever... no big deal....

10 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Now if I am in Boston at 5 pm for BAC's concert and financial shakedown, if I try really, really hard I might be able to steer my drone to Ada in time for the 8 pm start. Bi-location is getting so tough these days.

looking at this picture, these Corps are making practice pushups WAY harder to do these days now... ( .. haha )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Except we havn't read anywhere on Social Media after the Cadets installed a new YEA Board/ New Corps Director that Drum Corps fans nationally have " left us ( Cadets ) for dead ". Reports are glowing as a mattter of fact, ie " no marcher left the Cadets after GH left "...." Percussion could win the Sanford Trophy this season".... " top 5 this season "... " morale is better than its been in years "... and " Design team/ Guard will shine this season without GH "... and so forth.  Everyone I know is quite pleased the Cadets marchers are seemingly on track to be better this season now that GH is no longer there gumming up the design works/ uniforms. I havn;t read the narrative anywhere that " everyone left us ( Cadets ) for dead'.  Fortunately, quite the opposite as a matter of fact. A Corps as iconic as the Holy Name ( and later Garfield ) Cadets were a multi year National Titles winning outstanding Drum Corps before George Hopkins was even born, let alone years later come in from outside to take over the reins there.  Cadets we're told will be fine. Assuming the financials are in order ( no reason to think otherwise at the moment either ) most eveyone I know thinks the Cadets will shine this season and beyond.

I think much depends on what you hear and where you hear it. DCP has posted mostly positive things about Cadets itself especially regarding progress since GH’s departure. Some Facebook posts have said somewhat differing things, namely that there have been some departures and things are in flux, but I do not know the accuracy of these folks and even these posts do not predict a horrible year for the corps. 

One thing we need to keep in mind: it is very rare that when a person involved with an organization is accused of what the former director has been accused of, or what the person involved with Crossmen has been accused of, simply removing the person solves the problem. Cadets is the exception. I am also surprised people did not flee the corps. It’s probably due to a combination of factors. If this had been revealed in October rather than April when most matching members were at least tentatively in place, we could be talking about a different situation. The new director being an insider as far as legacy but an outsider as far as working with GH helps a great deal too. GH being so problematic is probably a factor as well. 

If Cadets are more competitive this year than in the past few years, great. The corps could also find itself where they were last year or perhaps a bit lower. That’s fine too, but keep in mind as I say that I do not have as much invested in Cadets as alums, parents, or longtime supporters, so if Cadets is your favorite corps, I understand their losing ground or not being as strong as in the past are not things to be taken lightly. For me, what matters most is that Cadets will survive beyond 2018, and that seems to be what is happening.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tim K said:

For me, what matters most is that Cadets will survive beyond 2018, and that seems to be what is happening.

Absolutely!

There were times when I had hoped the Cadets would fail, but only because if success continued under GH nothing would change, and many would continue to turn a blind eye to the monster in the room.

Now that the “problem” is gone my hope for the Cadets success is restored in knowing that nothing and no one will ever again be bigger than the corps. 

Looking forward to seeing their 2018 production. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3