Bluecoats 2018-LETS GO BLOO

19 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I was the same guy. Marched mellow, played French in concert.

I started playing Horn in 4th grade,  joined drum corps when I was a freshman in high school.  We had French Horn bugles back then.  Played that all through juniors.  What a beast.  

Played mello In senior and alumni corps.  Why was I not told how much  easier it was? :laughing:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I marched with a French horn as a freshman! We got brand new silver mellows when I was a soph back when Chuck Mangione made them a thing. Loved marching with that brand new silver mellow!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I marched with a French horn as a freshman! We got brand new silver mellows when I was a soph back when Chuck Mangione made them a thing. Loved marching with that brand new silver mellow!

I played a bflat mello In high school marching band. Not silver however.  Brass. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I started playing Horn in 4th grade,  joined drum corps when I was a freshman in high school.  We had French Horn bugles back then.  Played that all through juniors.  What a beast.  

Played mello In senior and alumni corps.  Why was I not told how much  easier it was? :laughing:

As a (mostly) reed player (and to take this even farther astray off-topic), what is the difference between a marching french horn and a mellophone? Is it the shape of the tubing/bore?

1 hour ago, Precious Roy said:

As a (mostly) reed player (and to take this even farther astray off-topic), what is the difference between a marching french horn and a mellophone? Is it the shape of the tubing/bore?

Way more tubing.  And the bore is smaller.  Horn mouthpiece fits in there.  You need a converter for mellophone.  I just used a mellophone mouthpiece with a deep cup and a thin rim.  Worked for me. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I played a bflat mello In high school marching band. Not silver however.  Brass. 

Technically I believe I played an F trumpet.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Technically I believe I played an F trumpet.

I have a F mello now but I definitely played a Bflat mello in 1974 in band.  

Back then, it was a trumpet with a big bell.  The modern day mello which is user friendly to Horn players, is an entirely different beast than that ‘70’s model. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

19 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

Possibly related: Shaw's a French hornist who marched mello. (No idea what Thrower marched, though I wouldn't be surprised if he was also a mello.)

Pretty sure Doug is a Trumpet player and marched G soprano back in the day.

That mello writing for Bluecoats took some time to come.  In 2001 nearly half of us were trumpet players on G mello and the other half were horn players.  He scored a number of Lalo Schifrin tunes that year with some smoking mello lines... and that was kind of the start of his more robust inner part writing.  Too bad all of that was thrown out (they may have had licensing issues).  The Michael Daugherty stuff that we ended up with was somewhat busy too, but not quite as... swag... as the Schifrin charts that never got to the field.  Too bad, because we certainly could hack it and we were dying for more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1