Madison Scouts 2018

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

There is a correlation between financial strength and placements. Its no surprise that the 2  current front runners  in DCI ( BD and SCV ) are also the strongest financially as Organizations. If the Madison Scouts Alums believe they can have stronger Show Designs, better placements, attract better instructors, better marchers, with behind the scenes weak financials, its not going to happen FlamMan. Nothing successful can happen on the field in World Class until such time that the Financials itself at the Madison Scouts become TOP 6.. Its that going to be easy to turn around the Financial strength ? No. its going to take a a few years, lot of leg work, a lot of outreach, a lot of fund raising skills, and a lot of Alums to step up to the plate financially... and big time now. Otherwise, they can remain the Milwaukee Brewers of DCI, and yet wonder why they can't compete anymore for World Series Titles like LA, Boston, Chicago,  St. Louis, NY,  Houston, etc now can.

I WISH! I actually think the Brewers are a great example of how the Scouts were run for a long long time and should be now. Of course they need more $$ but they don't have to be the richest corps to compete at the top. BD & SCV are an anomaly because their state allows them to earn money from bingo (or gambling) that Wisconsin and most other states don't allow just as the Yankees, LA, Cubs and Red Sox are an anomaly because of the TV revenue they get compared to the other markets. It's more difficult of course but that's why people love it when an under dog wins. You really shouldn't use baseball as an example if you don't follow it anywhere except on ESPN. The Brewers are 1 game back of the best record in the NL.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Not in San Antonio it wasn't.  Brought the house down.  Flo doesn't capture audience reaction very well at all. 

Mike

I was in Atlanta, 27 rows up and near the 50. VERY tame reactions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bass5 said:

I WISH! I actually think the Brewers are a great example of how the Scouts were run for a long long time and should be now. Of course they need more $$ but they don't have to be the richest corps to compete at the top.

Ya, regrettably, in DCI these days now, you do, imo.  If you're not fInancially in the Top 6 in revenue generating for yourself, then the expectation that you can compete successfully in the Top 6 is more wishful thinking than being realistic. Thats how I see it anyway. The adult created Show Designs are important in modern day DCI scoring than ever before. The best staffs tend to be found at the top, as these Corps can pay them more than the lower echelon Corps can, or Corps that are struggling financially. And who among us here doesn't want to be paid more for our work. The old adage.. " you get what you pay for " tends to have a large element of truth to it, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Otherwise, they can remain the Milwaukee Brewers of DCI, and yet wonder why they can't compete anymore for World Series Titles like LA, Boston, Chicago,  St. Louis, NY,  Houston, etc now can.

Or, better, the Cincinnati Reds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Ya, regrettably, in DCI these days now, you do, imo.  If you're not fInancially in the Top 6 in revenue generating for yourself, then the expectation that you can compete successfully in the Top 6 is more wishful thinking than being realistic. Thats how I see it anyway. The adult created Show Designs are important in modern day DCI scoring than ever before. The best staffs tend to be found at the top, as these Corps can pay them more than the lower echelon Corps can, or Corps that are struggling financially. And who among us here doesn't want to be paid more for our work. The old adage.. " you get what you pay for " tends to have a large element of truth to it, imo

Sad that the activity has become an elite professional career for staff instead of an activity that serves youth. I know it's been that way for quite awhile, 

but if it truly were for the youth,  the judging would be prioritized toward the performers on the field, NOT the adult designers. 

I as a performer had absolutely zero control over WHAT I performed. I only had control over HOW I performed it. Why should

more than half of my score be based on something I have zero influence over?

So Corps have to be able to raise MINIMUM a million dollars per season to be anywhere near competitive! 

It's not sustainable for very long and I'm afraid more and more lower Corps will continue to fold.

26 minutes ago, Nine White Russians said:

Sad that the activity has become an elite professional career for staff instead of an activity that serves youth. I know it's been that way for quite awhile, 

but if it truly were for the youth,  the judging would be prioritized toward the performers on the field, NOT the adult designers. 

I as a performer had absolutely zero control over WHAT I performed. I only had control over HOW I performed it. Why should

more than half of my score be based on something I have zero influence over?

So Corps have to be able to raise MINIMUM a million dollars per season to be anywhere near competitive! 

It's not sustainable for very long and I'm afraid more and more lower Corps will continue to fold.

So when has it NOT been about what we were given by staff? I go back quite a while and as far as I can remember it has always been what we were given then how we did it.

As far as money, I can go back to the late 70s and watched BD have advantages from competition, staff, travel, food, rehearsal locations etc etc. SO money was also always a part.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, BRASSO said:

The Madison Scouts will survive if enough Alums step up to the plate and donate/ volunteer.

Madison Scouts will not survive if not enough Alums step up to the plate and donate/volunteer.

The Madison Scouts have one of THE largest Alum bases in all of Drum Corps. Presumably, out of the tens of thousands that have marched there in the last half a century, there has got to be a few hundred of them at the very least that are now very affluent, comfortable, and very well off financially. So if the Madison Scouts run out of money to effectively compete, then I suppose its fair to say that too many of them simply don't care enough about their former Corps anymore and are prepared to let the Madison Scouts have a nail in their coffin leading to its financial " death" . Well, if THAT occurs, its pretty easy for outsiders like us to see where the primary blame for that will lie.

My connection on the BOD has told me that money was not an issue this year!  SO, why should alumni support horrible leadership, over, and over, and over, and over again?  What?  You truly think throwing good money at bad solves things!...In what world?  That's not how businesses with failing leadership are treated!...Why do you insist in treating drum corps differently? There's the problem...Follow the bouncing ball on how things operate!

• Like 2

Probably sometime in the early 70s or earlier....i’m not wanting this to sound like a new thing, but it seems to go more and more that direction exponentially.....to the point where Chris Komnick stated that the judges told him that he must conform to a certain style of design or be forced out competitively. That is design groupthink and is so far away from anything youth focused. It’s also tragic because this activity is promoted as an artform. Last I checked, art is subjective and non-conformist by nature.....yet in DCI, you must conform to the current trends. THAT IS NOT ART!!! By the way, Zingali laughed when peole were calling his drill art. He said it’s not art, it’s drill. Anyone who calls what we do art is full of themselves.

10 minutes ago, Nine White Russians said:

nProbably sometime in the early 70s or earlier....i’m not wanting this to sound like a new thing, but it seems to go more and more that direction exponentially.....to the point where Chris Komnick stated that the judges told him that he must conform to a certain style of design or be forced out competitively. That is design groupthink and is so far away from anything youth focused. It’s also tragic because this activity is promoted as an artform. Last I checked, art is subjective and non-conformist by nature.....yet in DCI, you must conform to the current trends. THAT IS NOT ART!!! By the way, Zingali laughed when peole were calling his drill art. He said it’s not art, it’s drill. Anyone who calls what we do art is full of themselves.

Well if change started in the early 70s, do you think it's been enough time to adapt? I am also very sure judges did not say it as you have stated here or he may have to you. Now could a judge have said to be successful and to max a sheet out you should be doing more in way of............ fill in the blank........YES, I could see that. This is what is more likely to have been said.

AS far as Zengali( whom I was very close to ) or anyone from BITD do you actually believe any of them would be thinking the same, writing the same, approaching the same. That would be a big NO. Those giants would still today be reinventing the norm and pushing the envelope.

You are right art is subjective and so is drum corps. and always has been

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mad75 said:

My connection on the BOD has told me that money was not an issue this year!  SO, why should alumni support horrible leadership, over, and over, and over, and over again?  What?  You truly think throwing good money at bad solves things!...In what world?  

Donations alums make go to the transportation, feeding, insurance costs, etc of the season,  giving the current members the safest, best experience they can get, regardless of placement.

An alum who wouldn't help give his corps' current members the best experience they can because he doesn't like the show the staff designed and wants to punish the adults who're doing their best (does anyone doubt they aren't trying?) would seem not to have learned much by their time in their organization.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1