Madison Scouts 2018

5 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Flip it around, and look at it like a business decision. Let's say the alums from the 70s and 80s and 90s want to turn the corps around; they essentially want a hostile takeover of the corps. If you're on the corps Board, the first thing you're going to ask is "ok, where's your money to support all these grand plans you have?" 

And if the answer it "we don't have it, but we will if you move out of the way", you can count on them ignoring you, since the world is filled with people who bluster and threaten and promise great things and turn out to be nothing MORE than bluster and threats.

Put together half a mil in a money bomb that can be deposited into the corps' account on the first day you take charge and show that you have a team together who can not just talk about the future but handle, from the get go, the daily and monthly management of the organization, and maybe they'll listen to you. You'd be surprised to find out how relieved the Board might be to hand it over to you, since being on the BOD of a cash-poor non-profit is about the least amount of fun a person can have.

How about we just start by spending what we have wisely, which the current management and board have proven they can't do, as they've consistently run deficits for years and plunged the corps further in debt. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

look at cadets. after the craziness this spring, one of their first acts to get alumni re-engaged. They raised $20k in 3 days, and continue to work programs to get alumni back involved and feel involved.

This current management Team has done such a thorough job of alienating their alumni, that most alumni I know have absolutely no interest in supporting the Scouts ever again...They're rung out and feel completely disrespected and disenfranchised...They've simply moved on. 

Edited by Mad75
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have a couple of questions:

1.  Is there someone on the administrative staff, including board, in charge of fundraising (i.e. writing grants, contacting corporations for support, etc.)?

2.  Has the operations of the Madison Scouts permanently moved?  This would make it more difficult to get companies in Wisconsin to back the Scouts if so.

3.  Is it possible to get the Scouts Alumni back or are some lost for good?  Perhaps getting them actively involved would help.  

I do like the "hits" in this years show.  I do like the flugelhorn soloist and think she is used well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madisonsmiley said:

How about we just start by spending what we have wisely, which the current management and board have proven they can't do, as they've consistently run deficits for years and plunged the corps further in debt. 

If the corps is in debt because they can't afford the program they're already running, then that indicates they're not receiving the type of income they need to maintain a finalist-level product. "Spending wisely" in this case would mean downgrading the staff, shortening the tour, and otherwise taking the approach that Pioneer and a few others in the non-finalist ranks use. Nothing wrong with that, as it works for their corps, but anyone in Madison calling for them to be performing/competing at a top 8 level with a bottom 8 income is simply kidding themselves. 

• Like 1

It doesn't happen currently, but would the Scouts brain trust ever look into a merger with another corps?  The external Scouts is all I know, so internal politics, corps pride (which has always been strong), alumni that don't post on DCP, etc. is above my pay grade.

It's really sad, but it doesn't look like Madison will be in finals this year. I had high hopes this season. I just don't see them beating Mandarins or anyone who was 1-11 last year. They might be looking at 16th-17th. Wow.

Edited by queenanne_1536

8 hours ago, madisonsmiley said:

The Scouts' lack of money falls squarely in the lap of the board and the senior management, who have been at it a long time. They could have done a much better job with what they have. More money will certainly help. This board has done a horrible job engaging alumni and raising money. A lot of alumni have given up and walked away based on how they've been treated, inept and amateurish fundraising, the Scouts' inability to be good stewards of their finances, and what's happening on the field. Boston increases in revenue were a direct result of having a strong, effective board.

This.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

After watching them tonight, I'm going the Negative Nancy Group. This show is a disaster. As I've said before, I actually like the music and drill, and the uniforms don't read that bad from the stands, but that prop is utterly humiliating. I would have a hard time wanting not to quit if I was a marching member. I like them, I wouldn't because of my brothers and sisters, but it has to be so demoralizing. While the uniform reads ok from the stands, I would feel ridiculous wearing one. The identity is completely gone. Corps like BD, SCV, Crown, Cavies, Bluecoats, Boston, and Regiment (ok basically anyone but Madison) have modernized while still keeping their corps identity. Huge fail. I wonder if heads will roll when they don't make finals. Someone said it's too early. No, it's not. Not in this day and age when the talent isn't there to cover a gap. They will absolutely not beat anyone from 1-11 last year, and I would also say they will absolutely not beat Mandarins. So, they are out. It's done. How disappointing. Heads need to roll.

Why would "heads roll" now when they've been kicking the same can down the same old road for years!?  If this Organization were truly run as an accountable, dynamic, uber skills, top-shelf business model, this Board and so called leadership would have been SACKED a very long time ago!...In the real world there are "performance standards" and robust metrics for those that serve at the top.  And, these same individuals usually maintain the shortest leash...BUT, not with Madison!  There exists a palatable level of arrogance that is simply astounding with these high-brows.  If you agree with the "geniuses", and keep your mouth shut, and go-along-to-get-along, then you're in!  BUT, go ahead and respectfully disagree or bring a contrary idea to the table, then you're  lambasted, disrespected and black listed.  And oh, by the way, in Indianapolis tonight, Madison finished a mere .6 above the Colts, and 3 points down from the Blue Stars.  In today's game, that 3 point spread is akin to a 100 point insurmountable mountain.  Game Over!...Happy 80th Anniversary to the unrecognizable Madison Scouts!

Edited by Mad75
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

I have a couple of questions:

1.  Is there someone on the administrative staff, including board, in charge of fundraising (i.e. writing grants, contacting corporations for support, etc.)?

2.  Has the operations of the Madison Scouts permanently moved?  This would make it more difficult to get companies in Wisconsin to back the Scouts if so.

3.  Is it possible to get the Scouts Alumni back or are some lost for good?  Perhaps getting them actively involved would help.  

I do like the "hits" in this years show.  I do like the flugelhorn soloist and think she is used well. 

The day the Scouts announced the partial move to Bloomington, I posted here that this was a huge mistake that Madison will regret. I'm seriously afraid that this may be the beginning of the end.

• Like 1