Phantom Regiment 2018

Looks like this thread is suddenly turning into another Madison Scouts-esque thread.

And like the Madison thread, I think I may have to stay away from here for a while.

Regiment needs to innovate and create the  type of shows that are competitive in the more WGI style drum corps of today, but without forgetting that they are the ####### Phantom Regiment!!!!! It seems like they lost their way, and are now trying to find it again. This year is definitely a step in the right direction, but changes need to be made, unfortunately. They’ll right the ship....they always do.  

Bring back the helmets......just sayin. It’s the single greatest sign that Phantom Regiment has arrived. When I marched in the 90’s once we put the helmet on, everyone knew that bad@sses were on the way.

Edited by fireshane1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Looks like this thread is suddenly turning into another Madison Scouts-esque thread.

And like the Madison thread, I think I may have to stay away from here for a while.

I mean no offense, but to simply ignore the obvious is a lot like an ostrich sticking it's head in the sand. The reason these corps are getting the constructive criticism they're receiving is because these forums are filled with very smart former marching members, educators, and designers. I doubt there's a person on the forums who genuinely means to harm by criticizing, one way or another, it is all constructive and these corps would be smart to pay attention.   

I guess what I'm saying is:  Regardless of these forums and the constructive criticism, Phantom Regiment's scores last night speak volumes. The corps is slowly falling out of the top 12. That isn't a criticism. That is a fact

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

This what I dream of.  They definitely wouldn't be ranked down at 10th performing in this style:

You're right, they'd probably be out of finals if they performed that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

The past few years this thread has always been Madison Scouts-lite, the difference is that while Phantom had been stagnating, they had still been placing a bit near their average placement (6th). That, and the fact that this thread has way less overcompensating-macho-men dinos 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

I guess what I'm saying is:  Regardless of these forums and the constructive criticism, Phantom Regiment's scores last night speak volumes. The corps is slowly falling out of the top 12. That isn't a criticism. That is a fact

Agreed, but if you look at the overall history of the corps from its beginning, there have been these drops in placement just before the corps massively rebuilds and returns to being the powerhouse that is Phantom Regiment. As a alumnus of Regiment, it bothers the hell out of me to see where they’re at right now, but I’m confident that the correct adjustments will be made. 

Edited by fireshane1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BostonLUck said:

I mean no offense, but to simply ignore the obvious is a lot like an ostrich sticking it's head in the sand. The reason these corps are getting the constructive criticism they're receiving is because these forums are filled with very smart former marching members, educators, and designers. I doubt there's a person on the forums who genuinely means to harm by criticizing, one way or another, it is all constructive and these corps would be smart to pay attention.   

The problem is that most of the commentary here isn't particularly "constructive." It's just criticism.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

You're right, they'd probably be out of finals if they performed that. 

Do explain why.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 9:16 PM, BostonLUck said:

I've waited till tonight to really give the corps a chance:  I'll begin by saying I appreciate the group for what they're try to achieve; however, for me the brass writing sounds very much like a high school band, which if I'm not mistaken, it actually is?! If you've seen Hebron HS Band 2013 (I think) this show is a pretty obvious duplicate of material Pitts arranged for them?!? Now, I realize Will Pitts is a Phanmily favorite; however, I just don't think he's the quality this corps needs. (no insult intended, he IS talented). But the talent they really need in their writing, well...they let the talent slip away -- and SCV is LOVING it. But tonight's 12th place Music Analysis was kind. IMO.

I can tell there's progress happening, but this corps from top to bottom is suffering because of staff & designers. Relying WAY too heavily on electronic "distractions" and props to try and bluff their way through insufficient captions. Frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if Mandarins overtook this group before Finals. I don't think this is the year Phantom falls out of Finals, but folks this is getting too close for comfort.

As for the kids on the field -- y'all are kicking butt -- keep working hard -- you are champions regardless of the design you're given. 

Honestly, after seeing Mandarins at the Rose Bowl, I figured that it was only a matter of time before they overtook Regiment, this season.

I'll honestly be shocked if they manage to hold them off. This show is just lacking in moments where the Mandarins are bringing the GE via a more 'in your face' style show.

It seems to me that Regiment's show was designed on more an intellectual plane, and was trying to be very subtle in its message and delivery.

Unfortunately, that does not translate very well to the audience, at least in this case. With the strength of material to choose from, it's kind of inexcusable that the show doesn't have more moments. That being said, I was very pleased to see the improvement in the corps on that last YouTube vid and that they were starting to bring the emotion.

I would think that they should lean on that aspect and embellish it to squeeze whatever juice that they can out of this lemon.

In short, I think the designers tried to go a little too 'high brow' with this show, and the result is that it fails to connect with the audience.

Just my take. We'll see how it all shakes out.

• Like 1