Phantom Regiment 2018

12 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

That was 2010 ;-) Typo?

yes sorry i meant 2007.

I've been watching the Samuel Barber Medea show that Star of Indiana did in the early 90s.  There is a lot about that show that influenced PR later.  What happened the guys that put that show together?

I have had the feeling for many years that possibly their single greatest challenge is funding, pure and simple. I was a financial supporter for several years, but I was underwhelmed by the interest they showed the supporters. We mostly got mail asking for more money and a discount on merch.

I was run off by the older kitchen staff volunteers because I was new and a man. Tough to give up a week of vacation just be pushed to the side because you aren’t old guard or a woman. It was definitely a microcosm of their challenges as a corps. I haven’t donated or volunteered at all this year, after having done both since 2012.

A corps is only as good as their staff and volunteers. Without money you can’t hire the best staff, and if only veteran volunteers are welcome what happens when the current volunteers age out? 

posted from the DrumScorps app

Edited by PRomoter
  • Like 1

I personally think Will Pitts has done great this year in regards to arranging to bring the Phantom sound back. But his arrangements do fall flat or fail to progresss through the course of a movement, and I think the solution is not to scrap Pitts altogether but rather get more experienced people to consult and guide. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EricS said:

I've been watching the Samuel Barber Medea show that Star of Indiana did in the early 90s.  There is a lot about that show that influenced PR later.  What happened the guys that put that show together?

Crown and now some of them are at Boston 

12 hours ago, EricS said:

I suspect you mean musically, but Jon Vanderkolff is writing drill for Bluecoats. And Todd Ryan is the visual caption head for BD. 

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I suspect you mean musically, but Jon Vanderkolff is writing drill for Bluecoats. And Todd Ryan is the visual caption head for BD. 

the whole show is one of the best i think, drill and musically.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I personally think Will Pitts has done great this year in regards to arranging to bring the Phantom sound back. But his arrangements do fall flat or fail to progresss through the course of a movement, and I think the solution is not to scrap Pitts altogether but rather get more experienced people to consult and guide. 

Unfortunately, it's a case of a GREAT marching band arranger, is not a GREAT drum corps arranger. Sometimes it just doesn't work out -- remember when Aaron Guidry wrote for Crossmen? Again, a Grand National Champion arranger, but his drum corps arranging fell flat.

Pitts is a great guy, I'm sure, but his arrangements are further harming Phantom. I think a new arranger would be warranted - but we'll agree to disagree there ;-)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, EricS said:

They moved on to other corps! 

15 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Highly agree with this comment! They need more people to guide and consult, keep Will. I think they have plenty of talent in the corp, but need better show design and a stronger visual and musical presence.   

• Like 2