Averaging scores

6 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I absolutely hate how much GE controls the sheets. It's more about staff then member performance. 

That's not how GE works. 50% of GE is the repertoire, and 50% is the performer, just like in every other caption (rep/achievement). The performance of the members is half the dang score, and the higher the performer score, the higher the repertoire score can be driven. That's how GE works. Stronger performers can elevate an otherwise weak book. Madison vs Mandarins at semifinals is a good example.

Edited by Kamarag

6 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I absolutely hate how much GE controls the sheets. It's more about staff then member performance. 

Drum corps is supposed to be about GE. In the absence of stellar GE, it would simply be no different than a local high school band show.

It's been this way since 2001, and I can see why people would be in favor of averaging, since it off-sets the variance in opinion from night to night with the different panels.

Personally, I've always thought it should be a weighted average since they started averaging captions, with each successive night more than the previous night. You're still rewarding consistency, while also recognizing the corps most recent stellar performance.

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I would like to know how to score a top corps after a judge trips over a marching member and the next 6 people trip over him, rendering him injured and needing medical attention on the field while destroying the instruments of the other 6 people who went down?

This is not possible scenario, it is a probable scenario.  It's not a matter of "if" it's simply a matter of "when." 

How is this relevant to this topic at all?

• Like 1

Just keep in mind, averaging the scores would have prevented Phantom from pulling the upset in 2008, Blue Devils pulling the upset over Crown in 2015 and also stopped the Cavaliers from pulling off 4th this year over the Bluecoats...

To me, the champion needs to be crowned based off of their finals performance. After all, your prelims performance determines if you makes semis and your semis performance determines if you make finals so why shouldn't the finals performance determine the winner? The extra awards though (the caption awards) should be done based on your performances throughout the championship week. I think the system they have set up is perfect and shouldn't be changed.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, wilme861 said:

Just keep in mind, averaging the scores would have prevented Phantom from pulling the upset in 2008, Blue Devils pulling the upset over Crown in 2015 and also stopped the Cavaliers from pulling off 4th this year over the Bluecoats...

To me, the champion needs to be crowned based off of their finals performance. After all, your prelims performance determines if you makes semis and your semis performance determines if you make finals so why shouldn't the finals performance determine the winner? The extra awards though (the caption awards) should be done based on your performances throughout the championship week. I think the system they have set up is perfect and shouldn't be changed.

Yes.

I think this is what disturbs me about averaging -- it only really applies to the eventual top 12.  To half the Corps who don't make it to Semis, they don't have scores to average.

It'd be like 2 sets of rules -- for most of you, it's win or go home; for the fortunate Twelve, we'll rank you differently at Finals.

I was/am kinda liking the proposal to handle caption scoring like other judged events -- throw out highest and lowest scores and average the rest.  But again, that only applies to the eventual Finalists.

Let's leave things the way they are.

18 hours ago, Stu said:

While I am not going to do this, I guarantee I could put together different judging panels that would yield different results Finals night. The difference in placements and scores would not be drastic, SCV would not fall to 7th and Cadets would not jump to 2nd. But scores and placements would shift throughout the 12 positions depending on the panel chosen. This is because judging is 100% subjective opinion based on sheet interpretation combined with what is observed. And since it is 100% subjective, I personally do not mind some sort of combined weighting system from Thur, Fri, and Sat not only for Caption Awards but for overall Final Placement.

After Semis, a combination of judges could have had SCV beating BD by a decent amount.  

19 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I would like to know how to score a top corps after a judge trips over a marching member and the next 6 people trip over him, rendering him injured and needing medical attention on the field while destroying the instruments of the other 6 people who went down?

This is not possible scenario, it is a probable scenario.  It's not a matter of "if" it's simply a matter of "when." 

Since you have prognosticated the inevitable, I provide you a primer for a calamity that clearly cannot be avoided.

1. Acknowledged the challenge of the environment (judge as an obstacle).

2. Credit those who manage the environment with professionalism, training, awareness, and style.

3. Credit recovery as is applicable.

4. Move on with the show, and later express compassion and empathy if you can do so without pandering.

5. This part is the real trick!  Come back to reality because this is a redonkulous scenario that somehow has never shown up in DCI.  I don't know how it hasn't since you've cited it as being "probable" (can I get the math on that statistic, btw?), EXCEPT that you previously noted it is "not possible" thereby rendering the hypothetical irrelevant in your estimation.  

In Summary:

• The answer for all of this is in the manual. It's philosophical, not procedural.  If you're up to the challenge, digest those words.
  • If you want to make a point, try not to disprove it with your own logic.
  • Let's not resort to Reductio ad Absurdum as the catalyst for evolving the activity.