The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

3 minutes ago, camel lips said:

I would bet a crispy that DCA cuts ties with Cadets2 . They really had a thorn in their side over hotel gate and were looking for a good reason to bump them . Bet Cadets2 is gone 

What hotel issue?

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Hence my stop the bleeding statement.  I want the Cadets and YEA to thrive.  It’s good for the activity to have many strong groups. 

Ironically, as painful as this all is and will be, it gives them the best opportunity to thrive they have had in decades. BUT only if they cauterize the wound correctly, and that means a clean break from all involved/enablers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeM said:

Actually, and this probably won’t win the day - but I’ll toss it out there:

YEA needs to pull The Cadets and Cadets2 from all competition for the 2018 season.  

Why?  There will only be this distraction for this year.  Heck, parents may pull their kids out and leave them barely able to field a corps.  Take 2018 to revamp and restructure the organization.  Comeback after finals with everything in place to start the 2019 preparations even stronger.  Show everyone that hey, yes this happened.  But we’ve taken steps to make sure it won’t happen again.  You can’t run a tour and try and recover from this.

Thoughts?

Yes, I have thoughts. What is it exactly that you are saying? That YEA is so culpable that they are incompetent and therefore should pull out of touring and being active? And why can’t you run a tour and recover? Cut out the cancer and move on to a full, productive life. Offer help to the victims. Take responsibility even if you aren’t technically the bad actor. Is this horrible? Yes. But the choice is to rise above or sink below. I’m not actually so familiar with YEA but I’m guessing they will try rise. You can rise without having to turn to ashes first. 

8 minutes ago, camel lips said:

I would bet a crispy that DCA cuts ties with Cadets2 . They really had a thorn in their side over hotel gate and were looking for a good reason to bump them . Bet Cadets2 is gone 

If you are referring to them not wanting to stay in hotels during finals, it's understandable since not every corps has to.  

C2 will also not be removed from DCA.  Only YEA will discontinue Cadets or C2 and I highly doubt it will happen.

1 minute ago, Kyle B said:

If you are referring to them not wanting to stay in hotels during finals, it's understandable since not every corps has to.  

C2 will also not be removed from DCA.  Only YEA will discontinue Cadets or C2 and I highly doubt it will happen.

The rule has changed now but you didn’t have to stay in the rooms but you still had to pay for them. 

5 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

What hotel issue?

Hopkins caused a huge riff his first or second year in DCA when he tried to refuse a age old tradition of his members paying and staying at expensive over priced hotels at DCA championships because his corps could get free housing . 

DCA negotiates these rooms and has to guarantee so many rooms at certain rates on bids . George didn’t like that and wanted to try and shove his weight around . It did not end well 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

And what if their dream was to spend their final season wearing maroon?

And what if this was their ONLY Jr season?  If Cadets don't perform, any rookouts will miss their only chance to march a Jr corps, as it's unlikely DCI would grant a one-time waiver for those few people (although, frankly, I'd be mroe than OK with that in this case).

• Like 1

OK, that's old news from 2011.  Plus, he was just asking to do what some other corps have long done.