The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

30 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Is his daughter is married to George and also the current Guard caption Head?

Were dating. Not sure if currently dating. I’m not bugging them right now. Her brother also has taught at C2

Edited by Jeff Ream

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

How is Rich Templin "a little suspect"?  

I wasn't so much referring to the individual but the situation as "a little suspect."

One could easily imagine a scenario: say that George Hopkins's girlfriend (daughter of Rich Templin) supports Hopkins through these allegations. I could see this causing issues. "How could Kristy Templin not know about this?" "As an extension, how could Rich Templin not know?" Plenty of legitimate questions could arise. And such questions could be a distraction to the organization. 

Also, it's just not a good look. Again, regardless of the reputation of Rich Templin, which may be impeccable. 

It's just weird to me. And I'm okay with you disagreeing.

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, garfield said:

As soon as they were aware of allegations of sexual misconduct, didn't they have an obligation to keep him away from the members? Have there been no rehearsals by Cadets or YEA's winter organzation(s) since January?

This is the point - your opinion is valid as is your question.  Too many here are taking your sentence (or these type of inquisitory statements) as being obvious conclusions.  They're not.  I've been saying it for months.  There is reason that DCI is a "toothless tiger" to enforce policies.

Seeking clarification, please. The Inquisitor article and YEA's statement last night both make it clear that the YEA Board of Directors have known for at least two months that there were allegations of sexual misconduct against George Hopkins. No one disputes that much, as far as I can tell.

Given that, my position is that YEA's board of directors had a responsibility, at a minimum, to keep Hopkins away from the members until their investigation was complete.

(I said nothing about DCI in my post.)

Do you disagree?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, garfield said:

This is the point - your opinion is valid as is your question.  Too many here are taking your sentence (or these type of inquisitory statements) as being obvious conclusions.  They're not.  I've been saying it for months.  There is reason that DCI is a "toothless tiger" to enforce policies.

The animals want to self police the barn. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, I'm hopeful that Yamaha's lawyers have better reading comprehension than some here but, yea, I was trying to make a point.

The contention that sponsors are going to bail on this venerable organization is premature.

Some, apparently, didn't get the point.

What you have to understand is not everyone thinks as level headed as you and I do.

Im not going to start Jumping ship on Yamaha or System Blue or anyone that is associated with Cadets over Allegations or heaven forbid it turns out these allegations turn out to be true. But there are people out there that will do JUST THAT at the drop of the hat. Especially something as serious as the nature of child rape. 

Everytime there is a school shooting and some TV advertiser promotes a gun product or something people come out of the woodwork to ban that TV show/station or what not. Ditto in todays political climate with anything having to do with Trump. If its pro Trump or favorable to Trump then its gotta be banned or blacklisted. 

Ur attempt at Humor was poorly timed and stupid. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ducttapedgerbil said:

A concern I would have as a parent....if the board/staff knew then they are culpable also. If the board/staff didn't know how in the hell did they not know....they are not keeping themselves in the loop and aware of what is going on, they are incompetent.  Either way would I trust my kid to decisions this organization makes???? This is Penn all over again....

They knew that there was a contention, but we don't know how much was told to the BoD before being told they had to remove the ED before they could find out more.

This notion that "They KNEW" is NOT demonstrated or proven.

They knew there were some complaints, but is there clarity on what the Board actually knew?

No, there isn't.

I'm thinking and building thought bubbles... Did they know?

Imagine, someone comes to the BoD and says "We know something about your ED.  Remove him and we'll tell you."  I go to the ED and I ask: "Do you have any idea what she's talking about?"

What did GH say to THAT question?

We don't even know that they were told ANYTHING prior to the actual claim filing, so the notion that they should have done something to separate him from kids is misplaced and not well-defended, IMO.

I am no apologist for GH or Cadets BoD, but I AM a non-profit board member and I'm trying to put myself in their shoes before I agree to start stoning them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I wasn't so much referring to the individual but the situation as "a little suspect."

One could easily imagine a scenario: say that George Hopkins's girlfriend (daughter of Rich Templin) supports Hopkins through these allegations. I could see this causing issues. "How could Kristy Templin not know about this?" "As an extension, how could Rich Templin not know?" Plenty of legitimate questions could arise. And such questions could be a distraction to the organization. 

It's just weird to me. And I'm okay with you disagreeing.

Rich has been running C2 for 3 years. He was brought in for his knowledge of DCA. He helped smooth over what was a touch relationship between the corps and DCA.

kids and parents disagree on subjects at all ages. He’s 70ish, she’s 5 years younger than me. Having taught with both, I’ll tell you first hand agreeing to disagree... at times loudly... happens 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, wallace said:

We’ve seen many changes in America regarding sexual behavior. Thankfully, rape and pedophilia is still considered heinous.

You say "still", but some forms of rape were not considered heinous, or at least were legal in parts of this country, until 1993, which is pretty shocking:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marital_rape_(United_States_law)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, garfield said:

I keep agreeing and correcting you. 

No, I asked you if you thought DCI had the power to insist that their board follow some protocol, or if you thought they had the power to insist they replace their board prior to being able to tour.

Actually I went back  and reread your question you posted to me above ( and which I responded to as I did ) and this is NOT what you asked me above at all. The question you ask of me now is an entirely new one. My reply is thus an entirely new one : " Yes " DCI is within their authority to insist that Corps follow DCI's established protocol  and " probably not " that DCI can " insist on a change in any Corps BOD before heading out on tour".  ( DCI did insist that the Troopers change their internal workings one year, before being allowed future participation, but I'm unsure at the moment if DCI insisted upon a  change in their BOD before allowed to return  )If you ask me can DCI suspend any Corps from future participation/ competition in shows because they have violated DCI policies and procedures,  my reply is " Yes .. and DCI has done so a number of times over the years with several Corps..... in season too.  "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, I'm hopeful that Yamaha's lawyers have better reading comprehension than some here but, yea, I was trying to make a point.

The contention that sponsors are going to bail on this venerable organization is premature.

Some, apparently, didn't get the point.

I still don't get the point. I thought it was a supportive statement from Yamaha, the URL looked legit enough. But I will predict that this is the last year that Yamaha has a relationship with The Cadets - and not because they want to end the relationship next season. I don't think there will be a next season. Yea has ballpark of $1.6 million in assets and $1.2 million in liabilities. A net $400k isn't going to cover the lawsuits and I don't think a "Help cover a sexual predator (alleged) fees" is going to be a very popular GoFundMe page. Seriously, it will take a miracle to pull this plane out of a nose dive. I really hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1