The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

8 minutes ago, BigW said:

Thank you. I try very hard to be clear and also truthful myself. With this whole thread, it deserves and demands real clarity and truth right now, just my thoughts.

Agreed. The librarian in me said, "Somethings not right about this quote" after I read it out loud to my wife, so I went back to the original post for the clarity. Madisonsmiley might have been better off leaving it as NFL and saying "This is what should be." Live and learn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, madisonsmiley said:

The NCAA places a significant burden and substantial set of rules on participating schools, players, teams, coaches and staffs. If you want to compete in a NCAA sanctioned sport or event, you play by the NCAA's rules. They are very, very detailed and substantive. Training and monitoring compliance is a huge effort.

https://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4511-2017-2018-ncaa-division-i-manual-august-version-available-august-2017.aspx

DCI would benefit from finding a really good D1 compliance officer with significant, high-level experience, and gravitas, hiring them, and giving them authority to get stuff done. It would benefit the activity a lot.

Never happen

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Never happen

You could be right. With an organization like RAINN involved with this now,  I have a feeling RAINN will try very hard to suggest things to be done and implemented across the board to improve the overall situation long term, and I know I'd be listening to them very seriously.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

There may be something in the bylaws granting the equivalent of "broad discretionary powers" for extreme circumstances like this one. My guess is there is something in there like it.

Yes, it would certainly seem so. According to the terms of the YEA/ Cadets probation imposed on the organization by the DCI BOD, it will be up to scrutiny of Dan Acheson who will carefully ( their words )  " monitor" the Cadets non compliance period, and it will be the DCI BOD's, ( not the member Corps ) that will decide if YEA/ Cadets will come back into compliance, and off their probatiion.  If all goes well, a vote will be taken by Dan Acheson and the DCI BOD to decide if their imposed requirements have been met ... or not. Thats my reading from the DCI HQ press release that accompanied the DCI BOD's decision. The Corps Directors/ DCI Membership did not vote for the probation of the Cadets, nor the terms of the probation, nor what it would take for the Cadets to come off probation. Nor did they vote to allow Dan to go inside YEA/ Cadets to look at their financials. DCI HQ ( with their DCI BOD vote ) decided on that as well. It will up to YEA/ Cadetrs to satisfy Dan A, ands his Board  to come off probation. Not the DCI Corps Directors/ DCI Membership. Thats my take in the DCI HQ Press Release regarding this, anyway... and as such, it sure looks to me like Dan Acheson and his BOD  at the DCI HQ in Indy is exerting broad discretionary powers it believes it has with all this.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BigW said:

You could be right. With an organization like RAINN involved with this now,  I have a feeling RAINN will try very hard to suggest things to be done and implemented across the board to improve the overall situation long term, and I know I'd be listening to them very seriously.

This could be a case where directors and boards decide that it would be easier for them to have an overarching policy that would save them from making up their own and having some separation in order to do the deed of sending someone away. That is: "You know we love you, BUT DCI has this rule, ya know, of zero tolerance, so bye." The nebulous "they" can be a wonderful thing [especially when it is a friend involved].

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, footform said:

This could be a case where directors and boards decide that it would be easier for them to have an overarching policy that would save them from making up their own and having some separation in order to do the deed of sending someone away. That is: "You know we love you, BUT DCI has this rule, ya know, of zero tolerance, so bye." The nebulous "they" can be a wonderful thing [especially when it is a friend involved].

To expand on that notion, perhaps DCI and the directors might agree to appoint an independent entity to handle such matters as the arise and to determine the outcome of those matters, so it isn't personal to the directors OR staff of DCI.

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

To expand on that notion, perhaps DCI and the directors might agree to appoint an independent entity to handle such matters as the arise and to determine the outcome of those matters, so it isn't personal to the directors OR staff of DCI.

Going with RAINN might be a sign that DCI realizes they need help from more knowledgeable people. Hope that is true and hope DCI listens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Dude, you got me. How about trying to be truthful instead of showing up and pulling stunts?

"To paraphrase another major league". I knew he was citing the NFL.  Cut him some slack. 

Just now, HockeyDad said:

"To paraphrase another major league". I knew he was citing the NFL.  Cut him some slack. 

I did once it was made clear.  I'm glad YOU knew. Not everyone did, including myself.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Going with RAINN might be a sign that DCI realizes they need help from more knowledgeable people. Hope that is true and hope DCI listens.

The new YEA board selected RAINN.

• Like 1