The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I can make up my own mind who to blame, thanks.

If Penn had such an incident occur with a professor of their own, would they refuse to teach all the students of that professor due to their "association", even after the professor is gone?  Would they shut their own school down so as to no longer be associated with themselves? 

Penn would be in control of Penn in that scenario. In it's entirety. They would not be relying on outside institutions with little working history between them and that institution. It is a tough situation. But trying to negotiate those waters with an external organization is a completely different ballgame. Apples and oranges.

• Like 2

“Gupta said that since Penn made its initial decision he has seen the Cadets had make several positive changes, such as appointing a new board.

“This is a very important organization in this region,” he said. “Obviously we want to see them turn the ship around.””

So, apparently, they pulled the trigger on this almost immediately. Considering the perpetrator and his enabling board are gone (and were so fairly quickly) this seems more symbolic than practical (what else could the Cadets be doing at this point?) but suppose I understand way.

Public perception is everything and with the interwebs, it forms very quickly. At light speed. An institution like this can’t be perceived as being even the slightest bit complacent with a situation like this.

Take my alma mater, UNT, for example. Recently, a story broke about a young woman who received a food order receipt from one of the businesses in the union food court with a despicable racist epithet written on it. (It was later discovered that a cook did it.)

The University acted pretty quickly, including firing the person responsible, but many people on social media were roasting the school and its president for in inaction as the story broke. The digital ink had barely dried. So, yeah, they probably had to act that fast.

20 minutes ago, skevinp said:

If Penn had such an incident occur with a professor of their own, would they refuse to teach all the students of that professor due to their "association", even after the professor is gone?  Would they shut their own school down so as to no longer be associated with themselves?

I am shocked... shocked... that there might be found  hypocrisy at Institutions of Higher Learning ( and the Media ) these days. Say it ain't so !

Edited by BRASSO

45 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Agreed... I can tell you that the new board and Mr. Rutherford will not be spinning anything. They are committed to transparency and blunt conversations about the pathway forward. It will not always be pretty but the end result should be a much stronger viable YEA, Cadets, Cadets 2 and the dance program.

After visiting the camp this weekend, I have no doubt the end result will be just that. It's going to take time to put the structures in place in so many areas that were missing internally.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, skevinp said:

That's not even in the ballpark of the same thing. The usage by Yea! and USBands is an outside organization requesting to utilize facilities.

If you want to see how a university reacts to situations such as this though, take a look at the Michigan State situation with Larry Nasser or Jerry Sandusky with Penn State and all the things that were done to individuals at those universities, as well as the programs.

This university owes nothing to Yea! or USBands and wants to distance themselves from a group that would like to rent their facilities.

• Like 1

Just now, BigW said:

Perhaps Chester?

maybe. in terms of cost, JBC is a lot less expensive

29 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

A shame, given the steps that Cadets/YEA and DCI have taken, but Cadets will have to weather a few knocks and move on.

No different than when a college football team gets probation after a coach is fired...the guilty are never hurt, the innocent have to deal with the fallout of the ones in charge at the time of the bad acts

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

This university owes nothing to Yea! or USBands and wants to distance themselves from a group that would like to rent their facilities.

Its no more complicated than that. Penn never said " Never " either. They stipulated this June... next month. What happens in the future between YEA and Schools is really unknowable at the moment. It all could turn out well in the future  for both YEA and even DCI itself for all anybody knows at the moment. Only time will really tell.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1