The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Just sounded a little fishy to me although I get what you are saying and do agree. Maybe I just know too many of the players and know how it can go. Justice is one thing, mob mentality is quite different and in the end  takes away from the seriousness of the issue imo

I understand your concerns, and sincerely hope she handles this responsibly, for the sake of all that is good about drum corps.  My guess is that most victims do not want to hurt the activity as a whole, either.  

Fortunately (as to the concern about taking away from the seriousness of the issue), but otherwise very sadly, I suspect there will be enough credible serious accounts that she won't need to focus on questionable ones.  Though not about the direct actions of any director, I have heard some truly heartbreaking stories about actions or inactions of staff, section leaders and such, that seemed very credible to me.  I raise that only for its general relevance to the conversation, not to bring in any specific incidents outside the scope of this thread.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

How does one "pound the beat" looking for abuse victims?  Knock on random doors?

Great point.

Again, from my days as a radio newscaster and reporter... local stations in the NJ/NY metro area... we certainly relied on people coming to us with information about local-interest items.  We simply did not have the time or the manpower to find everything by "pounding the beat."

And of course, even when we got tips/info from someone... a listener, a local elected official, law-enforcement official, whomever... we would check stuff out, do our homework, before putting anything out on the air. 

I actually wish we had some sort of listener tipline/hotline back then, to help us out.  (This was the pre-Internet era.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

What a way to get nonfactual information, disgruntled old MMs alumni who hate for the sake of hate.hate, management as well as direction.  etc etc. as you said how about doing the work ( legitimate work and facts ) you say fishing for carp>? I say fishing for crap and there are plenty willing to toss their line in for whatever the reason. WOW!

I do get saying maybe there is an outlet if some who don't know where to turn with additional information BUT not make it sound like HEY, WANNA TELL YOUR STORY" here's your 15 min. of fame...and maybe it's just me, that's how it sounded.....jmo

You know a lot of people willing to lie about being sexually abused just to get back at someone in drum corps?

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I strongly disagree. Asking readers for tips has been a standard part of journalism forever. You saw Spotlight, right? Remember how it ends?

Its a little bit more than asking in a broad sense for " tips " covering a wide range of subjects though.

What are the chances a Philly Inquirer Sportswriter would write in their column... " anybody out there that has some dirt on the Philadelphia Eagles players, Mgt, Organization, please feel free to email me, or call me. I'll make sure your correspondence is kept confidential with me if you'd like ". ?   My guess, no chance. Plus, you've got to admit its a bit lazy for journalists to conduct their jobs in this fashion. The fact that we witness journalism conducted in this fashion does not mean this is how it should be practiced, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Its a little bit more than asking in a broad sense for " tips " covering a wide range of things though.

What are the chances a Philly Inquirer Sportswriter would write in their column... " anybody out there that has some dirt on the Philadelphia Eagles players, Mgt, Organization, please feel free to email me, or call me. I'll make sure your correspondence is kept confidential with me if you'd like. ?   My guess, no chance. Plus, you've got to admit its a bit lazy for journalists to conduct their jobs in this fashion. The fact that we witness journalism conducted in this fashion does not mean this is how it should be practiced, imo.

Given the number of people who have insinuated that this is just the tip of the iceberg it would be irresponsible for them not to follow up and try to find more victims.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Given the number of people who have insinuated that this is just the tip of the iceberg it would be irresponsible for them not to follow up and try to find more victims.

Yes, but a followup can be accomplished with more appropriate methods than in this fashion, imo. BUT... its not a big deal to me,  really. If this paper wants to further explore this, in a more broader fashion,  I got no issues with THAT.

Edited by BRASSO

Just now, BRASSO said:

Yes, but a followup can be accomplished with more appropriate methods than in this fashion, imo. BUT... its not a big deal to me, If that paper wants to further explore this, I got no issues with THAT.

What method would you prefer?

Is this somehow worse than posting a phone number that you can call?

1 minute ago, dbc03 said:

What method would you prefer?

Is this somehow worse than posting a phone number that you can call?

I would imagine her initial report alone would provide her info she might be seeking. But again, the method she is utilizing, is of a minor criticism I might have with this. In the big picture on this, I applaud her efforts here.

• Like 2