The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Even though the last game at the original Boston Garden was in Sept. 95, (pre season hockey game), whether the new building had Fleet (Center) or TD Bank on the building, the majority of NE residents called it the Garden.

I still do!

On 4/9/2018 at 4:29 PM, GUARDLING said:

What a way to get nonfactual information, disgruntled old MMs alumni who hate for the sake of hate.hate, management as well as direction, etc., etc., as you said how about doing the work (legitimate work and facts) you say fishing for carp>? I say fishing for crap and there are plenty willing to toss their line in for whatever the reason. WOW!

Again, this is how reporters have always worked. (Cops too, by the way.) And plenty of legitimate journalism (and valid legal evidence) comes from disgruntled people with their own agendas. Good reporters (and good police) know this and know their obligation to sift out the truth.

If not for tips, the Inquirer story would never have been written in the first place. Nadolny didn't know about this until someone came to her.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
4/18 - Corrected misspelling of reporter's name.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

was DCI officially contacted? probably not, and that's their legal loophole. Did they know there was allegations of some nature? They had to.I knew before everyone left Indy

Yes,  'perhaps gives DCI HQ plausable deniability and all that. In fairness to DCI maybe they did not know the depth,  gory details... not really sure at this point.  Who knows. Also, didn't Hop put on his YEA Board a guy that once worked for Dean A. at DCI HQ ?  Oh Man.

Edited by BRASSO

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Again, this is how reporters have always worked. (Cops too, by the way.) And plenty of legitimate journalism (and valid legal evidence) comes from disgruntled people with their own agendas. Good reporters (and good police) know this and know their obligation to sift out the truth.

If not for tips, the Inquirer story would never have been written in the first place. Novolny didn't know about this until someone came to her.

Just sounded a little fishy to me although I get what you are saying and do agree. Maybe I just know too many of the players and know how it can go. Justice is one thing, mob mentality is quite different and in the end  takes away from the seriousness of the issue imo

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If not for tips, the Inquirer story would never have been written in the first place. Novolny didn't know about this until someone came to her.

Watergate and Sandusky case were good examples that once a story broke others came forward with information. She is just making her self more accessible to the public. I really don't see anything wrong with it if something good comes from it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, camel lips said:

Watergate and Sandusky case were good examples that once a story broke others came forward with information. She is just making her self more accessible to the public. I really don't see anything wrong with it if something good comes from it. 

Yeah, you're right., maybe for me, it was the wording that initially got me...I agree

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'll admit, I grew up in the Westshoremen family. Mom and dad met there when dad was marching, dad came home from rehearsal,mom went into labor. then 20 years later I marched there too. My corps jackets are Dad's jackets he gave to me.....i had to earn the 3 year jacket by doing my 3rd year first....just had the name changed. Has his 78 Al Champs patch on it. In that same household, the Reading Buccaneers was a bad word. 

so fast forward to the fall of 99...Westshore is all but dead, lingering on for 2 more years after our scandal of nothing close to this proportions, and friends that went to Bucs after we fell apart called and asked if i would come teach. Before I said yes, i called dad for permission. And while made to feel very welcome by all for my summer of 2000 with them, I would not sing their song. I was hired help, I had never worn the uniform. it was not my place to sign their song. 

so on this, I fully give Hop props, even if that wasn't his actual reason for not singing it. 

When I was with the Westshoremen Alumni corps, I didn't sing the corps song until the corps' final day, at the York, PA, indoor show in 2016. For much the same reasons you stated. 

I was very happy and proud to be a member of the alumni corps, and was warmly welcomed as part of the 'Shore family... but I had never marched in the competition corps, so it just didn't feel right to me to sing along. Until that final day, and a very emotional corps gathering after the last performance.

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, footform said:

Seems rather like what the BOD's Serious Investigation should have done. Just maybe try to find out the scope of the problem.

This is what DCI should have done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

What a joke.  Fishing for free news - what happened to pounding the beat and doing the legwork themselves?

This just smells like fishing for carp.

You have a valid point on this. On the other hand, the Schools of Journalism today arn't exactly known anymore for teaching proper ways to do responsible Journalism, so we do see unconventional  " fishing for carp "methods like this ( and far worse ) utilized quite frequently now. This reporter did do a good job ( imo ) in her  reporting of these sexual abuses on the part of GH however... I give her credit for that.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

You have a valid point on this. On the other hand, the Schools of Journalism today are not exactly teaching proper ways to do responsible Journalism, so we do see " fishing for carp "methods like this ( and far worse ) utilized quite frequently now. This reporter did do a good job ( imo ) in her  reporting of these sexual abuses on the part of GH however... I give her credit for that.

You aren’t kidding about journalism today.  I just saw an article about Ted Kennedy that said John Kennedy was his oldest brother...  what?  

• Like 1