The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Well said... and true, imo.

10,000 people do great, noble, wonderful things in any given day, and it goes unreported on any front page upper fold. One jerk does something really bad, and its the headline.. and it sells papers, and advertisers like that. Its always been this way though.  Nothing new in what " sells ". But bad behaviors exposed do indirectly protect these 10,000 people mentioned above, so we can't shoot the messenger here for doing their job either. But ya, where are these national reporters when these kids, adults in Drum Corps are doing such marvelous things ?

I hear ya... but the "man bites dog" stuff sells more papers.

I sound like Charles Foster Kane here.  :tongue:

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

They're clearly following up on the big story they broke by asking anyone who knows more to contact them. This is normal. it really is.

And I don't know about sportswriters in particular, or about the Inquirer, but I see that kind of request in the press all the time. Many papers tag a line about "To contact this reporter..." attached to their articles.

Journalism has always, always, always been done pretty much this way.

Absolutely agree. 

4 hours ago, Plankton said:

The can of worms has been opened. The next logical step is to use said worms as "bait".

While I disagree, this is the most creative explanation I've seen yet in the discussion.

lol

1 hour ago, dbc03 said:

You know a lot of people willing to lie about being sexually abused just to get back at someone in drum corps?

I think you will have a difficult time finding people in law enforcement, DA’s offices, mental health professionals, or people in education who would support this claim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Yes, but a followup can be accomplished with more appropriate methods than in this fashion, imo. BUT... its not a big deal to me,  really. If this paper wants to further explore this, in a more broader fashion,  I got no issues with THAT.

Imagine for a moment if DCI set up a hotline, an anonymous tip line, where victims could contact DCI in any fashion to report anything they wished, anonymously.  And DCI is mandated to appoint and pay for an intermediary to intercept these reports and take whatever action the reporter chooses, up to and including making contact.

Does an anonymous reporting platform sound like a reasonable use of DCI's funding from the corps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbc03 said:

What method would you prefer?

Is this somehow worse than posting a phone number that you can call?

Yes, because an 800-number to call CAN assure direct action, where-as a phone-in to a newspaper tip line assures is only an intermediary that can do headline damage and brow-beating in the hope of getting change.  At this point in time, the former is probably sufficient because the damage from the latter is likely already done.

I'm sure others disagree.

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

Imagine for a moment if DCI set up a hotline, an anonymous tip line, where victims could contact DCI in any fashion to report anything they wished, anonymously.  And DCI is mandated to appoint and pay for an intermediary to intercept these reports and take whatever action the reporter chooses, up to and including making contact.

Does an anonymous reporting platform sound like a reasonable use of DCI's funding from the corps?

I hear you, but for context, some DCI Corps are setting up this very thing , ie a hotline of sorts for people within their Corps ( and presumably outside ) to anonymously report any instances of sexual harrassment, sexual abuses, etc  within their Corps that they may encounter. DCI does seem poised to want a better reporting system from the Corps to them to be initiated as well. I'm sure DCI HQ does not want to ever again be contacted by a national media outlet and have to reply " Whoa!!.. what did you just say, has allegedly happened ? "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DCIat14 said:

I don't mind that she is doing what a reporter does - find a story, report, and follow-up.  This is a serious topic is society today and needs to be addressed.  MY BEEF, however, is that we could hardly pay to have an article written about the good as well.  Zero interest until a scandal and then it's just mud-rubbing.  When is the last time they wrote an article about what these members put themselves through and overcome over a season?  The talent that lies within?  The ridiculously amazing shows?  Like I said, I think this topic is absolutely worth discussing.  I just wish we could have balanced the scales a little bit.  This is all some will ever know of drum corps...

Well said.

I think this is a significant part of what I'm feeling.

Is there a desire for balance when initially reporting a fire-hot topic?

50 victims over 37 or 38 years.  Almost 2 a year.  Tragic.

But there were 126/148 other kids for whom this tragedy didn't unfold and who went on to great lives treasuring their years with Cadets.  Do they deserve some time in this discussion?

A little balance in the reporting will go a long way without sacrificing readership.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

was DCI officially contacted? probably not, and that's their legal loophole. Did they know there was allegations of some nature? They had to.I knew before everyone left Indy

DCI may not have a legal responsibility with cases involving those over 18, whether it involves Cadets or other corps, but if a case involves minors and the abuse is illegal in that state, my thought would be that they would have a legal responsibility to report the situation, even if it is just a rumor. Law enforcement would much rather conduct an investigation than have someone decide credibility when it comes to minors. The fact they are an umbrella organization that only has the authority given it by corps directors may possibly shield them from reporting allegations involving 18+ marching members, but it would not shield them when it comes to minors.

what I would hope to see happen is for DCI to have an emergency directors meeting, set up a committee involving educators, law enforcement, and other professionals, and come up with a policy that applies to all corps. The committee should be as independent as possible. It should then be approved quickly. I do understand how DCI works, and it may involve changing bylaws, but something has to happen fast, and where colleges and most youth organizations already have such policies, DCI would not be reinventing the wheel. It would not inhibit a corps’ independence either. It is plain common sense.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I hear you, but for context, some DCI Corps are setting up this very thing , ie a hotline of sorts for people within their Corps ( and presumably outside ) to anonymously report any instances of sexual harrassment, sexual abuses, etc  within their Corps that they may encounter. DCI does seem poised to want a better reporting system from the Corps to them to be initiated as well. I'm sure DCI HQ does not want to ever again be contacted by a national media outlet and have to reply " What did you just say, has allegedly happened ? "

Yes, part of the robust changes most corps are making.

So, I ask again: Is it a good use of funds allocated to DCI from the corps?