The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree, it would be great to see some positive press about drum corps, more often than what we've seen through the years. 

But in the case of the allegations that have come to light in the Philly paper, this particular reporter's job is the story at hand.

This might be a tortured analogy/example.... but when I was a radio reporter, I covered a few of what I would consider to be significant fire disasters in the city/region where I worked (the megalopolis called North Jersey, one city or large town on top of another).... a block of row homes burning, a fire that resulted in fatalities, etc.  Not "good news" stories by any stretch of the imagination.

My job, then, was to cover that fire.... anyone injuries/deaths, what caused the blaze, any collateral damage to nearby buildings, any environmental impacts, and so forth.  My job, at that time, was not to do a feature on the fact that there were tens of thousands of other homes that would almost certainly never experience such a tragedy... homes that were up to code, had smoke alarms, weren't owned by slumlords,  had adequate heat so the residents didn't have to use risky kerosene heaters, etc.

I would love to see a front-page story on how hard the members of any given corps work to achieve their goals.  But I guess my point is... don't expect it from this reporter covering this particular story. The "positive feature on how cool drum corps is" would literally would be a story for another day.

Honestly, I think this reporter did say more than once how the victims were reluctant to say anything because of how much the Cadets meant to them and their love of the organization. That is positive press amongst the bad ... but it was reported ... word for word with video to support it. I don’t think she is trying to trash the activity but to shine a light on the abuses we all know have existed. I hope all the cockroaches run for cover. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dbc03 said:

You know a lot of people willing to lie about being sexually abused just to get back at someone in drum corps?

To answer your question

I know a lot who love their 15 min. of fame..yes

do I know some who already accused even their peers only to find it wasn't true ( admitted )...YES

I'm not just talking about someone coming on to another I'm also broadly speaking on many subjects and levels.

With that said:

Victims should always be heard for sure and allegations of rape and unwanted advances are never appropriate even back in the day when those lines of relationships were very blurred 

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Nah, Jeff. I like Fran. A lot. And  I feel he's not singing it just for himself.

Considering we prolly had the flat out goofiest corps song known to the activity, Anyone who'd be kooky enough to sing it would be welcome.

i said LOL. in reality his fashion sense was the bigger cime

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

seen on facebook from multiple people off of the attorneys page:

Atty Blumenthal on George Hopkins: "We are no longer representing Mr. Hopkins in this matter."

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

seen on facebook from multiple people off of the attorneys page:

Atty Blumenthal on George Hopkins: "We are no longer representing Mr. Hopkins in this matter."

Link?

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I'd guess after a reporter writes a story, maybe 10% of the time will they write " if you have additional info regarding my article, contact me ". 90% of the time ( my guess ), they DON'T ask for more info. This is after all, not a SERIES.  or it certainly was not promoted  initially here as a SERIES in the paper. So its not as " normal " to do this as you suggest, absent a Series. However,  it does appear now, that she believes the story needs more follow up, and this is why she has taken the unusual step to ask for more info, as it appears now that she perhaps intends to do a series of articles regarding this. If so, that does seem to better explain her outreach like this.

90% of the time, they probably think they've reported out the full story.

The past eight months should have shown us that there have been many, many thousands of sexual misdeeds going unreported for decades. Victims have been afraid and ashamed.

And again: how did Spotlight end? With the one big story being published? No, with the story inspiring others to come forward with their stories.

For this kind of story, this is normal.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Seen on Facebook from multiple people off of the attorney's page:

Atty. Blumenthal on George Hopkins: "We are no longer representing Mr. Hopkins in this matter."

Hmm. Well, let us know when the FBI raid happens. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

Link?

This reporter is also reporting that...