Do you care if more than one corps plays...

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I can’t remember who was 13th..  I know we beat Kilties by about 3 pts. 

Freelancers were 13th with 79.2, followed by Garfield, BAC, and Cavies, all within a point of each other.

I enjoyed Guardsmen and 1978 in particular with the soldiers and "Poet and Peasant." I never saw Guardsmen live since Guardsmen didn't venture out to Boston. I did think I would be seeing all the corps in Birmingham in 1979 and saved enough money for a bus ticket from Boston to DC, DC to someplace, I don't recall, and that city to Birmingham, but  parents, who I decided were too strict and overbearing, did not think a 16 year old traveling alone to Birmingham was a good idea and pointed out minor details like the money could pay for a one-way ticket only and I had no place to stay. So in 1979, the closest I got to finals was PBS, WGHB Channel 2.

This memory of my parents is a reminder it's Mother's Day, so Happy Mother's Day to all the moms on DCP, especially the strict and overbearing ones who would not allow an absent minded 16 year old to travel by bus from Boston to Birmingham on his own with no place to stay and no return ticket.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Freelancers were 13th with 79.2, followed by Garfield, BAC, and Cavies, all within a point of each other.

I enjoyed Guardsmen and 1978 in particular with the soldiers and "Poet and Peasant." I never saw Guardsmen live since Guardsmen didn't venture out to Boston. I did think I would be seeing all the corps in Birmingham in 1979 and saved enough money for a bus ticket from Boston to DC, DC to someplace, I don't recall, and that city to Birmingham, but  parents, who I decided were too strict and overbearing, did not think a 16 year old traveling alone to Birmingham was a good idea and pointed out minor details like the money could pay for a one-way ticket only and I had no place to stay. So in 1979, the closest I got to finals was PBS, WGHB Channel 2.

This memory of my parents is a reminder it's Mother's Day, so Happy Mother's Day to all the moms on DCP, especially the strict and overbearing ones who would not allow an absent minded 16 year old to travel by bus from Boston to Birmingham on his own with no place to stay and no return ticket.

I’m with your folks on that one!  

The Poet and Peasant and Masterpiece Theater were Ken Norman charts.  The rest were Tim Salzman charts.  We were a brassline in transition.  They really shined the next year.  An abundance of talent. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2018 at 2:28 AM, Liahona said:

I really enjoy the recent encore arrangement...

I do too. ( ie. Boston's " Conquest " arrangement ) I like most Corps encore pieces played as a matter of fact. If time permits, I try and hang around for the post shows to listen to all these Corps play their encore/signature songs. Its in a standstill venue, and the MM's look like they're having a lot of fun playing these songs in these relaxed environments too.

• Like 1

as long as the arrangements provide new perspectives not previously heard I don't mind...with the emphasis on visual design music is often chopped up such that it loses identifiability ,,,so two or more corps playing the same piece of music might go unnoticed by the non drum corps savvy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

as long as the arrangements provide new perspectives not previously heard I don't mind...with the emphasis on visual design music is often chopped up such that it loses identifiability ,,,so two or more corps playing the same piece of music might go unnoticed by the non drum corps savvy 

You mean not everyone microanalyzes drum corps shows? :laughing:

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 4:43 AM, Tim K said:

The prelims in 1979 was controversial in the first place. Without penalties Troopers and Crossmen tied but when penalties were tabulated, Troopers made finals and I believe Crossmen disputed the penalties. I knew people who marched with 27th, North Star, and BAC that year who claimed the Associates finals was part of a conspiracy to get Troopers back in finals and give whatever corps did not make finals a consolation prize. I think if you look at the historic thread this gets mentioned and Troopers fans will recall the Miracle of 79. All a matter of perspective. This could have been fueled by the previous year. Lots of folks in Boston predicted three corps from Massachusetts in finals that year: North Star, 27th, and BAC, Garfield was looking good too and my guess is Capital Freelancer fans thought they were a shoe in, and Kilties found themselves in finals, much to the chagrin of BAC and Garfield. 

Finding youself in 13th when you are predicted to be a finalist is difficult. I can remember in 2012 Blue Stars semi performance was missing something, though it was not a bad performance, but it did not have the spark of the other performances I saw, Crossmen had the show of a lifetime. Though I was thrilled for Crossmen, I gained a lot of respect for Blue Stars that year. That was in the days of the parade and though their hearts were broken, they put on a brave face for the parade. I was thrilled BAC made finals in 2016, but I did feel bad for Madison.

Check this out if you haven't heard it already.  GE Brass judge tape from Troopers 1979 prelims starts abt half way through

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
ps - I like 'Children of Sanchez'
  • Like 3

That was awesome !