Burning questions after Saturday night

42 minutes ago, skevinp said:

pssssst.  it's 2018.

The 1987 results are still a fascinating topic.  I'm not alone in never growing bored of the debates and points raised.  So many people were involved or connected to it.  It's probably best that it be made its own topic, or moved to where ever it has been discussed before.  I do appreciate the points raised by @MusicManNJ and @queenanne_1536 because, yeah, it still feels like yesterday!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I was there too, and if you're going to make statements, you have to back them up with stats. There was not a three week period, or any period, in July where SCV stagnated. They got a 81.7 on 7/3 (their first show in July) and a 94.3 on July 30th (12.6 point improvement over the month).

Blue Devils, over the same period went from a 79.6 to a 92.1 (an increase of 12.5)

Garfield Cadets over the same period went from a 79.4 to a 90.9 (an increase of 11.5)

Phantom Regiment over the same period went from a 83.7 to a 91.9 (an increase of 8.2)

I'm using those to illustrate there was nothing out of the ordinary about Vanguard's improvement throughout July. It is in line with everyone else. Also, when you start ahead of course other groups are going to close the gap. It happens every year. Here's Vanguard's journey through July 1987 (with the 2nd place corps and distance).

7/3: San Diego, CA: 81.7 (2.8 over BD)

7/4: Los Angeles, CA: 82.9 (2.1 over BD)

7/5: Fountain Park, CA: 85.7 (2.2 over BD)

7/11: Sacramento, CA: 86.6 (4 over BD)

7/12: Santa Clara, CA: 87.0 (1.9 over BD)

7/17: Stockton, CA: 88.3 (2.1 over BD)

7/18: Concord, CA: 91.6 (3.1 over BD)

7/25: Boulder, CO: 91.0 (2.2 over BD)

7/27: Omaha, NE: 92.7 (8.2 over VK)

7/28: Bettendorf, LA: 93.3 (8.8 over VK)

7/29: Columbus, OH: 94.1 (3.4 over PR)

7/30: Erie, PA: 94.3 (9.5 over VK)

Numbers went up... performance did not improve. Just because all the numbers go up does not mean performance is improving. I saw them in very early July when they were a steam roller and then at the end of the month. My response was... what have they been done for the last three weeks. Little growth in show development or performance level. Now... take into account they came out HOT that year... but still expected there to be more. It's not the numbers it is the growth of the show.

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

The 1987 results are still a fascinating topic.  I'm not alone in never growing bored of the debates and points raised.  So many people were involved or connected to it.  It's probably best that it be made its own topic, or moved to where ever it has been discussed before.  I do appreciate the points raised by @MusicManNJ and @queenanne_1536 because, yeah, it still feels like yesterday!  

Agreed... 

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

And... as an aside... there is a great Facebook group for the members of 87 Cadets and SCV members and staff only. Lots of great stories and a wonderful bond that has developed between the members of both corps during 1987.

• Like 3

"listen here sonny, in 1874, I marched with the western wagons and we certainly did in fact start off great and end great with a great staff, marching up hill both ways to and from the end zones, so you all take your bear skin rubbish and sell them somewhere else!"  back to regularly scheduled programming now!

Edited by Den8uml
  • Haha 1

@ThePlanets - Please don't apologize for creating this thread. It's a fun thread and absolutely nothing wrong with it. If people get bent out of shape, then they do. You can't please them all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Yes... it was. I was there. I was with BOTH staffs on the field (including Hannum and Hardimon). SCV was awesome at the beginning of the season. There was a 3 week period in July where they did not improve. It was very odd. They were tight on finals night. It did not help that Gail was wearing the 1985 with a line through it to REMIND everyone how Cadets stormed finals that year to beat them. SCV was a great corps that year with a great show... as were Cadets. And yes... it could have gone either way and I would have been fine with that as well. But on that night... Cadets were the better Corps. SCV did not have as strong a run and I believe more could have been done during mid season to propel them further that wasn't. Again, I would be very happy for them to prove me wrong and be successful this year. Time will tell. I can't wait to see them live.

In 1987 I only saw local shows, and SCV did not venture to the Boston area that summer. This did give me the opportunity to see Cadets live a few times and I believe they may have been the only potential finalists in the shows. After 27th folded and World Open and CYO Nationals were no more, we had a bit of a drought as far as national competitors coming to New England. The shows were early season, but Cadets blew me away.

I do recall watching finals on TV. I can’t recall if it was broadcast live, but if it was, I saw a rerun because I knew the results. I did keep up with what was happening thanks to “Drum Corps World” so I knew that Santa Clara had been the powerhouse and their placing second to Cadets was controversial, though judging from what I saw with Cadets, first was no surprise to me.  However, when I saw SCV, I was blown away, even with the many limitations of TV in 1987 (I didn’t even have cable yet, talk about dark ages), and I could see where those who argued they should have placed first were coming from, yet I could also see why Cadets won, or as I would have said at the time, Garfield. I loved both shows and still do, and when I watch the DVD’s they still don’t get old, but SCV that year was one I wish I saw live.

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

In 1987 I only saw local shows, and SCV did not venture to the Boston area that summer. This did give me the opportunity to see Cadets live a few times and I believe they may have been the only potential finalists in the shows. After 27th folded and World Open and CYO Nationals were no more, we had a bit of a drought as far as national competitors coming to New England. The shows were early season, but Cadets blew me away.

I do recall watching finals on TV. I can’t recall if it was broadcast live, but if it was, I saw a rerun because I knew the results. I did keep up with what was happening thanks to “Drum Corps World” so I knew that Santa Clara had been the powerhouse and their placing second to Cadets was controversial, though judging from what I saw with Cadets, first was no surprise to me.  However, when I saw SCV, I was blown away, even with the many limitations of TV in 1987 (I didn’t even have cable yet, talk about dark ages), and I could see where those who argued they should have placed first were coming from, yet I could also see why Cadets won, or as I would have said at the time, Garfield. I loved both shows and still do, and when I watch the DVD’s they still don’t get old, but SCV that year was one I wish I saw live.

Well said. I saw SCV live a few times that year, including semis and finals, and they were remarkable. It was such a powerful and emotion performance, especially on finals night. Sitting in the stands, I didn't know who the judges were going to give it to out of Garfield and SCV. They were both just so good. Santa Clara was just powerful and exciting, and Garfield was graceful and exciting. It's one of my favorite years ever. It's too bad Regiment had a rough run finals night, as 10th to 3rd (in semis) was pretty remarkable.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Numbers went up... performance did not improve. Just because all the numbers go up does not mean performance is improving. I saw them in very early July when they were a steam roller and then at the end of the month. My response was... what have they been done for the last three weeks. Little growth in show development or performance level. Now... take into account they came out HOT that year... but still expected there to be more. It's not the numbers it is the growth of the show.

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm really ###### off that I had to practice so much when I marched. Had I known we could have gone up 12 points without improvement, I would have protested practicing.