Burning questions after Saturday night

10 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

My goodness, Metropolis with those mellophones...its not fair that othe corps have to compete with that. You can imagine what the drill will be like for that piece, it’s gonna be a two minute standing ovation.

3REE!!!

22 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

BD is just BD (and that's a compliment). They are so #### good. Dazzling. I think them, along with Santa Clara, are just simply out-designing everyone else. 

:8_laughing::8_laughing::8_laughing::muahaha::4_joy::95_v:

I think Bluecoats and SCV have the designs to beat this year, followed closely by the Cavaliers and then the Blue Devils.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I think Bluecoats and SCV have the designs to beat this year, followed closely by the Cavaliers and then the Blue Devils.

I don't know what Corps have the Designs to beat for 2018, as none of the 6 have them fully out and onto the field in performance yet. Alls we know for certain is that at at the moment ( today ) 2 points currently separate the 1st place raanked Corps and the 6th place ranked Corps. But sure, the benefit of the doubt starts and ends with the Blue Devils, imo

• Like 2

Just now, BRASSO said:

I don't know what Corps have the Designs to beat for 2018, as none of the 6 have them fully out and onto the field in performance yet. Alls we know for certain is that at at the moment ( today ) 2 points currently separate the 1st place ranked Corps and the 6th place ranked Corps. But sure, the benefit of the doubt starts and ends with the Blue Devils, imo

I forgot to mention Boston and Blue Knights. Those two have great designs as well. I particularly think Boston's design could be top 3. That is such a fun show.

Of course, I mean designs as they currently stand.  The greater framework has been put in place now, and I doubt that there are going to be wholesale changes to the show.

I am super excited that we have a top 6 this year. There are so many good corps!

• Like 1

Setting the discussion of attire aside for a moment, I'm personally enjoying as a collective group this season's shows over some recent years shows in DCI.  Lots of shows are offering diverse offerings,  creative uniqueness unto themselves, and solid entertainment bang for the buck, imo. More melody, more brass solos, less goo than in previous years, less engineering gimmickry to make louder the brass lines, and so forth. Its early of course, but thats my initial first take collectively on the Corps we've seen/ heard so far... and there are lots of Corps yet to perform for us.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Setting the discussion of attire aside for a moment, I'm personally enjoying as a collective group this season's shows over some recent years shows in DCI.  Lots of shows are offering diverse offerings,  creative uniqueness unto themselves, and solid entertainment bang for the buck, imo. More melody, more brass solos, less goo than in previous years, less engineering gimmickry to make louder the brass lines, and so forth. Its early of course, but thats my initial first take collectively on the Corps we've seen/ heard so far... and there are lots of Corps yet to perform for us.

Totally agree. Arrangements are much more melodic.  Less electronic garbage.  Hopefully the amplification at live shows is easier on the ears than 2017.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Yes... it was. I was there. I was with BOTH staffs on the field (including Hannum and Hardimon). SCV was awesome at the beginning of the season. There was a 3 week period in July where they did not improve. It was very odd. They were tight on finals night. It did not help that Gail was wearing the 1985 with a line through it to REMIND everyone how Cadets stormed finals that year to beat them. SCV was a great corps that year with a great show... as were Cadets. And yes... it could have gone either way and I would have been fine with that as well. But on that night... Cadets were the better Corps. SCV did not have as strong a run and I believe more could have been done during mid season to propel them further that wasn't. Again, I would be very happy for them to prove me wrong and be successful this year. Time will tell. I can't wait to see them live.

I was there too, and if you're going to make statements, you have to back them up with stats. There was not a three week period, or any period, in July where SCV stagnated. They got a 81.7 on 7/3 (their first show in July) and a 94.3 on July 30th (12.6 point improvement over the month).

Blue Devils, over the same period went from a 79.6 to a 92.1 (an increase of 12.5)

Garfield Cadets over the same period went from a 79.4 to a 90.9 (an increase of 11.5)

Phantom Regiment over the same period went from a 83.7 to a 91.9 (an increase of 8.2)

I'm using those to illustrate there was nothing out of the ordinary about Vanguard's improvement throughout July. It is in line with everyone else. Also, when you start ahead of course other groups are going to close the gap. It happens every year. Here's Vanguard's journey through July 1987 (with the 2nd place corps and distance).

7/3: San Diego, CA: 81.7 (2.8 over BD)

7/4: Los Angeles, CA: 82.9 (2.1 over BD)

7/5: Fountain Park, CA: 85.7 (2.2 over BD)

7/11: Sacramento, CA: 86.6 (4 over BD)

7/12: Santa Clara, CA: 87.0 (1.9 over BD)

7/17: Stockton, CA: 88.3 (2.1 over BD)

7/18: Concord, CA: 91.6 (3.1 over BD)

7/25: Boulder, CO: 91.0 (2.2 over BD)

7/27: Omaha, NE: 92.7 (8.2 over VK)

7/28: Bettendorf, LA: 93.3 (8.8 over VK)

7/29: Columbus, OH: 94.1 (3.4 over PR)

7/30: Erie, PA: 94.3 (9.5 over VK)