Burning questions after Saturday night

Just now, queenanne_1536 said:

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm really ###### off that I had to practice so much when I marched. Had I known we could have gone up 12 points without improvement, I would have protested practicing.

We get to fixated on numbers. They don't mean a thing, placements and spreads are the only thing that matters. Do we really believe any corps is a 99? I don't think so. I'm very sure we will again this year hear those who question that perfect score, which has never meant perfect.

• Like 1

Just now, GUARDLING said:

We get to fixated on numbers. They don't mean a thing, placements and spreads are the only thing that matters. Do we really believe any corps is a 99? I don't think so. I'm very sure we will again this year hear those who question that perfect score, which has never meant perfect.

Exactly! That is why I put the spreads in my previous post between SCV and 2nd place - to show that although over a week period their score dropped 0.6 the spread between them and Blue Devils was consistent to where it had been. But, an increase in score is, or should be, indicative of improvement.

5 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly! That is why I put the spreads in my previous post between SCV and 2nd place - to show that although over a week period their score dropped 0.6 the spread between them and Blue Devils was consistent to where it had been. But, an increase in score is, or should be, indicative of improvement.

Well, it certainly can be an improvement for some OR can also be the timing of the year. Notice the jump at the end. Was there that much improvement? Maybe, maybe not so much. Notice sometimes the drop in score sometimes in that lower tier of finals.. did they  really drop in performance? Maybe, often not.

You're right about consistency to where it had been

Edited by GUARDLING

On 6/24/2018 at 11:37 AM, mfrontz said:

If Mandarins 'overtake' Cadets, I'll eat my hat.

I agree it's unlikely, but be prepared for someone to hold you to that promise. Here's Sam Wang of the Princeton Election Consortium honoring his pledge following the 2016 election:

161112112429-wang-eats-bug-explains-poll

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I agree it's unlikely, but be prepared for someone to hold you to that promise. Here's Sam Wang of the Princeton Election Consortium honoring his pledge following the 2016 election:

161112112429-wang-eats-bug-explains-poll

The poor bugger.

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2018 at 8:30 PM, George Dixon said:

the members of one corps stick with it even though their director sexually assaulted members and staff and entirely new leadership takes over the reigns 4 weeks before ST - then we as “fans” rip them to shreds on performance #1

I rather like Cadets show (and I predicted their score Saturday to within a half point, although I'll grant that was probably blind luck).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well, it certainly can be an improvement for some OR can also be the timing of the year. Notice the jump at the end. Was there that much improvement? Maybe, maybe not so much. Notice sometimes the drop in score sometimes in that lower tier of finals.. did they  really drop in performance? Maybe, often not.

You're right about consistency to where it had been

That drives me nuts. People talk about how it is necessary from a numbers management perspective. To that I say:

Really? It's harder to manage the numbers for 12 corps than it is for 25 or 40? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

mThat drives me nuts. People talk about how it is necessary from a numbers management perspective. To that I say:

Really? It's harder to manage the numbers for 12 corps than it is for 25 or 40? 

Happens often. Even in WGI the bottom world class finalist sometimes drops several points. I have always had to tell members NO you didn't suck in finals..lol

It's more like fear from a judge not thinking they will manage their numbers right as it gets toward the top.. And of course to blow out a big ridiculous  number

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 10:21 PM, Bluzes said:

Are we experiencing a more jazzy (melodic) SCV & Bluecoats? Along with BD seems "All That Jazz" is rising to the top. Is that what the members want to play these days? Also does SCV's show end on the drum solo? Has that been done before?

Apparently SCV's show does not end with a drum solo. Two champion shows did end with short snare solos: BD's "The Phenomenon of Cool" in 2003 and Cavs' "Machine" in 2006. Another winning show, BD's "My Spanish Heart" in 1994, ended with a percussion feature, as did last year's third-place show, Crown's "It Is".

• Like 1