Burning questions after Saturday night

2 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Bluecoats will run the table this year.  I’m calling it right now. 

Will you eat a big if they don't?

25 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Happens often. Even in WGI the bottom world class finalist sometimes drops several points. I have always had to tell members NO you didn't suck in finals..lol

It's more like fear from a judge not thinking they will manage their numbers right as it gets toward the top.. And of course to blow out a big ridiculous  number

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's weird. Do you teach WGI?

On 6/24/2018 at 10:14 PM, MusicManNJ said:

And I taught 83-92. In 87 they were undefeated until finals but during the month of July they did not improve. That left the door open for Cadets. And it wasn't an F'ed up judge. The corps was tight on finals night. Saw both from the same spot in the stadium. I was VERY familiar with SCV. Cadets won that night. SCV did not FINISH strong. Again... not been the strong suit of the corps. Lets see what happens this year. Again... would be happy to be wrong. 

I think this conversation is fun. But how can anyone use a pattern of behavior from 30+ years ago and tie it to anything happening this year? All of the MMs are different, as the management and I assume staff. They don't even play the same instruments as in 87. Do they?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

In 1987 I only saw local shows, and SCV did not venture to the Boston area that summer. This did give me the opportunity to see Cadets live a few times and I believe they may have been the only potential finalists in the shows. After 27th folded and World Open and CYO Nationals were no more, we had a bit of a drought as far as national competitors coming to New England. The shows were early season, but Cadets blew me away.

I do recall watching finals on TV. I can’t recall if it was broadcast live, but if it was, I saw a rerun because I knew the results. I did keep up with what was happening thanks to “Drum Corps World” so I knew that Santa Clara had been the powerhouse and their placing second to Cadets was controversial, though judging from what I saw with Cadets, first was no surprise to me.  However, when I saw SCV, I was blown away, even with the many limitations of TV in 1987 (I didn’t even have cable yet, talk about dark ages), and I could see where those who argued they should have placed first were coming from, yet I could also see why Cadets won, or as I would have said at the time, Garfield. I loved both shows and still do, and when I watch the DVD’s they still don’t get old, but SCV that year was one I wish I saw live.

1987 was 31 years ago. it's a totally different game now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm really ###### off that I had to practice so much when I marched. Had I known we could have gone up 12 points without improvement, I would have protested practicing.

it's old news, but BD in 94 came east and destroyed everyone. By finals....were they really that much better? No, but they ran out of numbers to grow, and thus the results looked closer than it probably should have been

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Will you eat a big if they don't?

Or how about eating a jeep?

MASH-Season-5-Episode-15-18-ff43.jpg

• Like 1

I'll stur the pot for you then :)

Top 6 corps so far...in no particular order;

Crown:  Great hornline, good drums, very nice music writing, guard seems good enough to win in august and sells the motive of the show well. Really want to see the ending, middle section lacks emotion or direction. Gold contender.

Blue Devils: Typical BD show, hornline seems alittle down from last year but brass book has more to clean, still have great soloists, drums are better than they where last year at this time, guard is typical BD. I actually like this show much better than the last couple years. Gold contender.

Bluecoats: GE monster, most cohesive show design out of the blocks, hornline is good enough to win in august, drums/pit needs some cleaning, guard is good enough to win in august, vocalist is incredible and tastefully used. Bloo needs to keep music scores close enough to let GE drive for the gold. Gold contender.

Cavaliers: This show reminds me of what made the Cavies great in the 2000's. Good horns, good drums, great guard, will have to work to get into medal contention. GE seems to be a strong point to the show....and that helps. Medal contender.

Santa Clara: I fricking love this show, best soloists I've heard....ever. Hornline is great, drums WILL win in august, guard is good enough to win in august. GE will be a concern, show lacks visual impact, color, field coverage. Medal contender. 

Cadets: There...I said it, yes, the Cadets. Best show outside the top 5, talent is there, give it time.

I agree with fever....right now Bloo is in the drivers seat. Set back and watch a great drum corps season :)

Edited by NCWVUFAN
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Bluecoats will run the table this year.  I’m calling it right now. 

Now you've done it!  The West Coast will do their best to make sure this doesn't happen.  Plus, the Bluecoats need to get their percussion section to improve some in order to make their chances of success better.  Seems like it's harder to "run the table" in recent years.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

That drives me nuts. People talk about how it is necessary from a numbers management perspective. To that I say:

Really? It's harder to manage the numbers for 12 corps than it is for 25 or 40? 

it can be yes. if you have several corps all very close, even with the option of the extra digit, it can be ###### tough. Since some judges are afraid to make spreads to give themselves room...and hell, even if you aren't afraid, it can be #### tough.