Lawrence, MA - July 1, 2018

For some reason my last post did not include the entire post. So this is a continuation of my previous post.

Cadets: received a lot of love in Lawrence, no doubt will in Lynn tonight as well. Without a certain former director, the show was all about them. If you saw some of the antics that went on in the past, you understand whst I am saying. The show has some good basic elements which will need to be worked on a bit, no different from their competitors. It was a good run for them, but I got the feeling they may have not had the run they had hoped for (based on an anecdotal conversation with a marching member saying hello to family who sat near me). This is understandable: a home show the previous night, travel, and heat could all have been factors, 

Boston Crusaders always does pulls out all the stops at their home show, and both the performance and encore were amazing. I did not get to see the show in the theater, but I would have to agree with those who have said it is a show that has to be seen live. It’s intense. The color guard works the entire show and I was a bit surprised BAC did not take that caption last night. I also thought the fire worked well and was different from last year. Not to steal the title of another show, but as the season continues, BAC will be unleashing one beast of a show.

Crown: my initial thought when I saw Crown live was that their uniforms were too similar to Madison of 2017, but once the first notes were played, it was all Crown. I love that Crown can sell Bruckner and the Beatles in the same show. Overall I am not a percussion guy but the percussion improvements were noticeable. It’s a busy show, perhaps the busiest of the evening, and I’ll probably have different insights after I see it again tonight. As of right now I don’t think we’ll see Crown catch Bloo (watch me eat those works in the next day or two), though I do feel this is a stronger show than last year. 

Bluecoats: I think I loved everything about this show and if our friends in California have better shows to offer, it will be a heated finals in Indy. You can’t help but love this show. It has a retro jazz club feel to it, the corps is having the time of its life selling it, and it works. “God a Bless the Child” is an emotional showstopper. It’s not a perfect show, yet, but I had the same feeling after seeing this show that I did in 2016 and would not be surprised if the results were similar.

• Like 3

BD & SCV traded first in percussion last two shows seems that caption is up for grabs. Although one way or another you need a lot more going for you than that to win. 

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

You're right, but I really doubt Bloo will top both SCV and BD in guard and brass. Crown was either 1st or 2nd in every caption except percussion, Bloo can very conceivably end up being 3rd (guard) or 4th (brass) in a few captions. Idk, Bloo has a great show in GE once again but I just don't think they're strong enough in the individual captions to win it. 

These eastern shows almost certainly have inflated scores this year. I'm very confident Bloo will be wearing a medal this year, but I just don't think it'll be gold. 

I don't know, but I think Bloo can beat both SCV and BD in brass, probably not crown. Their guard is very good, so is BD, SCV, and Cavaliers. Right now, caption leaders are spead out between 5 corps, that makes GE the most important caption to win.

19 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

I don't know, but I think Bloo can beat both SCV and BD in brass, probably not crown. Their guard is very good, so is BD, SCV, and Cavaliers. Right now, caption leaders are spead out between 5 corps, that makes GE the most important caption to win.

And with Crown only being .6 behind Bluecoats without having started layering the show, GE will be a close race across the board this year in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

And with Crown only being .6 behind Bluecoats without having started layering the show, GE will be a close race across the board this year in my opinion.

Have the Bluecoats finished with their layering for this year?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Have the Bluecoats finished with their layering for this year?

Do the Bluecoats ever truly layer? From what I've seen in the past 3 years, they layer early and then clean. As a few have said on here, nobody layers a show like Crown does. Next.

Bloo kept changing their show last year to keep in contention, yes, they have always layered deep into the season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

Bloo kept changing their show last year to keep in contention, yes, they have always layered deep into the season.

The drill changed in the closer, but that's the only difference I ever noticed. :42_confused:

• Haha 1

I'm not sure crown is in the same position they have been in previous years, I don't think they have a show that can take them much higher in GE without some major rewrites, not that they won't get higher GE scores due to execution. I think Crown has some of the issues that plaqued Bloo last year with show design. They could very well win horns and score decent enough to place in some other captions, that will keep them in contention for a medal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

The drill changed in the closer, but that's the only difference I ever noticed. :42_confused:

They redone the ballad 3 times, as well as many other small changes.