Props - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

I generally like props in shows. And in a Drum Corps show, I like them IF (and ONLY IF), they are used, they seem appropriate in some way and they are used.  Props that sit in the backstage and do nothing, do nothing for me.  Now with that as a background, let it fly, no need to keep to my topic directly, and, indeed I won't.

THE GREAT: (in no order)

BLUE DEVILS, the various pieces and parts that become the Nighthawks and the ending depiction is wonderful. 

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD, the various pieces and parts of the stages and the way they migrate and evolve is wonderful.

BLUECOATS, the stage in the middle of the pit, the small table stage, and the large chairs that are used dynamically and often are all wonderful.

THE HONORABLE MENTION: 

BOSTON CRUSADERS,  the trees, the ocean/sand tarp, the compass really stand out.  (I'm not sold yet on the fire ... maybe as I see it more)

MANDARINS, the circular stage is very interesting and well used. 

THE CONFUSING:

PHANTOM REGIMENT, the monkey bars what, why, and what am I missing here?

CAROLINA CROWN, the teeter totter I get, what are those other things? Fangs? Horns? Dough Hooks?  I am mystified? Or are they just to take up space? 

COLTS, beds? really? How does this "fit" True Believer?  Functionally they seem to do the same "job" as Academy's desks.  But I get "desks" in Academic.  Again I am mystified.  Can anyone help?

Anyone else what to comment on Props?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm less sold on BD's props for the majority of the show. I like when they finally all come together, but until then it just feels a little too cluttered to me. So I'd be more likely to put those under Honorable Mention. I agree with you on SCV's nesting scaffolds--those are so brilliantly conceived and used.

For the Confusing, I'd actually add in Troopers' compass needles. The show is about going West, so compass needles make sense theoretically. But for much of the show, they're pointing east. And, when I last saw them, even by the end one of them was STILL pointing east. Maybe they've changed that by now?

• Like 4

Crown's things look like bones to me.  Like the ribs in the elephant graveyard in Lion King...

-1 to Madison's prop for doing nothing but hiding their female performer for over half the show.

• Haha 1

This is one year that I’m liking most all of the shows and props. Troopers have those cool Native American looking scuptures, Blue Knights with their pyramids. BD and SCV... excellent. Cadets’ Pollock blocks, Boston’s beach, Spirit’s doors, Spartans’ DaVinci props,  Cavies’ endless tarps,  Crown’s rocker. 

I miss the aesthetic of BD's white props, I think the ones this year when they are scattered look rather ugly. But their use of them is absolutely amazing, better than all other corps not named SCV 

• Like 1

At first I didn't realize Bluecoats' big chairs were supposed to be chairs, partly because the back rests are so short.

I gotta say, BK's little pyramids look like teepees to me, which kind of breaks the whole ancient Egypt vibe. They remind me of that Stonehenge scene in Spinal Tap.

• Haha 2

The three corps that are utilizing props correctly are Santa Clara Vanguard, The Bluecoats, and The Blue Devils. The jig saw puzzle/lego pieces for the The Blue Devils works, they are easy to identify, used correctly, and come all together at the end (genius concept). The chairs for The Bluecoats work well, great for staging for the individual and the corps in general and effective in setting parameters on the field. Santa Clara Vanguard using interchangeable, metallic scaffolding cubes/staging platforms compliments the show design and the uniform with minimal color distraction.  

13 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

THE CONFUSING:

CAROLINA CROWN, the teeter totter I get, what are those other things? Fangs? Horns? Dough Hooks?  I am mystified? Or are they just to take up space? 

My wife and I only saw Crown at the theater show.

Hopefully will see them tonight in Clifton.

We couldn't figure out the "purpose" of the teeter totter.

Could someone please explain what its purpose/symbolism is .