Murfreesboro, TN - July, 27, 2018

Everything the closer should be! Much More complete. I suppose there isn’t isn’t an alphabet if there is “Babel”,  but I miss a “V”. Bravo my beloved Vanguard!!

10 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Those of you who are at the show - is this an appreciative audience?

Yep. Murfreesboro audience is super bando. Most of the crowd is bussed at the end of their band camp, so it rivals the BOA symposium show in terms of reaction.

Especially for Crown. Just hearing the name gets the kids up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wilme861 said:

I still believe they had the championship level design but just couldn’t get the performance levels up to medal. 05-08 Phantom was probably their best 4 year run and 07 was my personal favorite of that group.

2007 Regiment is my absolute favorite show they've ever done. Just beautiful.

9 hours ago, kbbandman said:

In terms of holding their lead, I think it bodes well for SCV that they are content over achievement in most of the captions (based on tonight's scores). 

People put too much achievement in content and achievement scores and gaps. BD goes from 6th in color guard content at San Antonio to 1st in Mesquite to 5th last night. These bounce all over the place from night-to-night.

What bodes the best for Vanguard is they are consistently top 2 across the board, with only an occasional 3. Meanwhile BD has some 3s and 4s, and Bloo has some 3s, 4s, and 5s.

Edited by queenanne_1536

I was pretty high, on the side 2 20.  Forgive me because this is a brief recollection of last night.  I had no cell service.

Music City - Strong performance to start the night.  Some really neat visual moments throughout the show. I enjoyed some of the music too, but the tunes didn’t all “fit” together in my opinion. The Doppler effect was much louder on the speakers than the acoustic horns so it didn’t really work from where I sat.

BK - I liked this much more than last year. I enjoyed some of the Nijinsky choreography and the backfield speaker.  I don’t know why we were looking at the back of the props for half the show.

Cadets - Much stronger than what I’ve heard.  I love the Shakos! Some nice visual moments with the black backs/zebra fronts.  Singers did a great job.

Cavaliers - Their performance sounded much more acoustic than the rest. I don’t know if this was on purpose, but from where I sat this meant everything was a little less impactful because the max volume was a bit lower.  I really enjoy the early brass moment and I love the sassy step-over!

Boston - Wowzer this was better than I thought from youtube. Guard is on fire.  I enjoyed the spelling out “Lost” “We were here” etc. The props in the back corner don’t do much else, though.  Some members are having a hard time getting hidden at the end as well.

Crown - A bit underwhelmed. The played great but the colors all mesh together and there is no visual clarity.  The slow part with the lady horns and their uniform change was weird and I didn’t know what was happening.  I loved the rock section at the end when they finally use the big prop. They sound fantastic. I think BAC and Cavies had more enjoyable shows, though the crowd around me disagrees based on their reaction.

BD - Holy cow. How does BD do it?  Their visuals are always unique and refreshing.  The speakers were a bit too loud at points. Loved the whole show concept and execution.

Bluecoats - The soloist stole the show.  Her choreography is spot on with the music and the singing blends in fantastically.  I’m sure I missed many moments because I was fixated on her. The uniforms are refreshing.  I loved the fake-out at the beginning.

SCV - They do the most marching and playing. So aggressive, so exciting.  I was enamored at every moment.

The top 3 are at another level entirely.

Edited by TheClutch
"I had no cell service"
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

People put too much achievement in content and achievement scores and gaps. BD goes from 6th in color guard content at San Antonio to 1st in Mesquite to 5th last night. These bounce all over the place from night-to-night.

What bodes the best for Vanguard is they are consistently top 2 across the board, with only an occasional 3. Meanwhile BD has some 3s and 4s, and Bloo has some 3s, 4s, and 5s.

Not disagreeing with your second point, but what did you mean by the bold and underlined part?  Did you mean to say "emphasis on content and achievement"?

I liked a lot of things in all the shows (musically) but the only two I’d watch again are BAC and SCV. In general, I thought that some of the shows had moments that were predictable like changing up the uniform or having the same unnecessary choreography over and over again. It felt a bit compulsory. 

Going back to my earlier comment about coherence, I struggled to find a strong through-line in the shows that matched the themes. They could’ve called the show “Saturday afternoon at the car wash” and it would’ve worked. 

Please make the props go away or don’t have them if you don’t need them or know how to use them.  

I’m a bit disappointed in the shows this year. I guess it’s because there were so many last year that I liked. Hell, there were several that made me have goosebumps and want to jump out of my seat. I agree with what people have said about ‘07. It kind of feels like one of those years again. 

Except SCV is going to 2-point whoever is in 2nd place. 

• Like 1