Allentown Welcomes You - Ins and Outs

Ok, what are your favorite local sites, hotels, restaurants, bars, parking hints, etc.

I’m from Minnesota, so don’t know too much about Allentown,  but when I’ve been there, I found parking above the stadium near a cemetery worked well.

also, pierogies at the farmers market thingee down the street are awesome!

Edited by ajlemm

Mentioned this on the other thread ... but this is the last item on my "DCI Bucket List" so let me know all the secrets to having a great weekend (other than watching a whole lot of really good corps).

• Like 1

Just now, BlueStarsDad said:

Mentioned this on the other thread ... but this is the last item on my "DCI Bucket List" so let me know all the secrets to having a great weekend (other than watching a whole lot of really good corps).

It’s one of my favorite shows.

I often do Amish Country. Beautiful photo opportunities though remember the Amish themselves do not like to be photographed. Great baked goods too. 

Another favorite is Hershey Park. Dorney Park has a good rep too. Both are pricey if you’re planning on Saturday only. 

I stay in Quakertown and there is a restaurant there Quakertown Family Restaurant that is good for breakfast.

Best parking is in BACK of stadium (up top).

The hill starting from field level to the upper level is a beast (literally)...lol

The beautiful "park" which is HUGE has all the corps warming up...so that's a nice adventure if you like LOT stuff.

LOT's of restaurants to go to on Hamilton ave...Yocco's is a favorite (for a hot dog)

I like Golden Corral (all you can eat buffet).  It is downtown near the mall. 

Dorney park Wildwater kingdom is fun if you like amusement parks and water rides...

The diner in front of stadium is ALWAYS packed...expect to WAIT to be seated...

Don't get conned into paying for parking in certain areas..it is completely unnecessary.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Liahona said:

LOT's of restaurants to go to on Hamilton ave...Yocco's is a favorite (for a hot dog)

How many people do you think you can get in to enjoy the cooking at Boston's Saturday pre show social?

10 minutes ago, Ghost said:

How many people do you think you can get in to enjoy the cooking at Boston's Saturday pre show social?

There was a TON of food and BEER at that last year...the more the merrier!

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

I love the Allentown 2-night outdoor format. You will hear motorcycles, police sirens, corps warm-ups, busses arriving, and great DCI performances. But it is so relaxing to have the corps spread out over two nights: 14 on Friday and 12 on Saturday.

I recommend arriving when the 5PM gates open. The homestands of the compact stadium are set into a hill. It's all bleachers. Many fans tote in padded seats, snacks, and a light jacket.

The entry gates are in 3 places: two on the upper grandstand level, and one on the lower street level.

I park on Chew, which is one street behind the grandstands and Greenwood Cemetery. The great Farmer's Market on Chew is ideal for picking up Friday or Saturday snacks: nuts, pickles, pizza, chicken dinners, candy, cut fruit, banana pudding, etc. Many perishables are half price on Saturdays at the market before its 6PM closing time.

At the stadium, a snow cone is a must do! Or shaved ice, depending on your upbringing. Lines are long - you WILL miss a corps during your snow cone adventure. Get your fix before the show starts.

The staff at the gates and concessions are remarkable. Many have worked at this event for oodles of years.

The souvie trucks and t-shirt boutiques sit atop a hill in one of the end zones. Nearly every corps is selling on both nights.

In Allentown, there are at least a half dozen diners.  My favorite is the Sunrise Diner, on 4th Street.

Route 22 gets very clogged in the afternoons.  Pack some patience or cut through Center City to soak in the row house ambience.  Some of the on ramps onto Route 22 are quite short. Merge quickly or hit the breaks.

Welcome to Allentown.

Edited by DeanInChicago
  • Like 2