40 year dominance

38 minutes ago, flammaster said:

Don't beat your kids up. Let them rest some times. instead of cramming for the test go see a movie before. You can practice practice practice and you might beat them but in the long run They win because they have fun and practice smart.

And they also work hard. Why people seem to be hesitant to put those two words together is beyond me, as if the concepts of working hard and working smartly are completely incompatible. I've been witness to BD rehearsing over the years. They definitely work smartly. And they most absolutely work hard. Embrace it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think this year would be a pretty exciting come from behind championship if they could pull it off.
Have Devs ever had a surprise finals night come from behind win? Or have all their championships pretty much been from the lead? I know they were undefeated going into finals week in 88 --

3 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

And they also work hard. Why people seem to be hesitant to put those two words together is beyond me, as if the concepts of working hard and working smartly are completely incompatible. I've been witness to BD rehearsing over the years. They definitely work smartly. And they most absolutely work hard. Embrace it. 

They all work hard. Most work smart. This is not a huge activity, all of the instructors know each other and many have worked together on other staffs. I wish it was as easy as just working harder, but you have to have the marching talent and experience to hit the ground running.

There are a half dozen corps that can create a medal winning show and execute it from opening night, because they largely restock their rosters with the best marchers and players from other corps. Everyone else is fighting to make finals, because of how DCI scores the season. It is functionally impossible to move from 12th to top three in seven weeks.

Edited by MikeRapp

1 minute ago, tedrick said:

I think this year would be a pretty exciting come from behind championship if they could pull it off.
Have Devs ever had a surprise finals night come from behind win? Or have all their championships pretty much been from the lead? I know they were undefeated going into finals week in 88 --

2015 is the obvious choice. Not sure if there are others 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, tedrick said:

It's a good point no clues from last night.

16 minutes ago, skevinp said:

On finals night, I expect there to be a chocolate malt on the counter with a little girl in a yellow dress next to it.

Popping out of the picture.

33 minutes ago, skevinp said:

On finals night, I expect there to be a chocolate malt on the counter with a little girl in a yellow dress next to it.

Imagine that though, she's the one that shows up at the end and imagined the whole picture's backstory.  She's getting older now, so she's thinking about romance and what not.  Then they bring her back several years later as BDA member fully matured and ready for the world that awaits.  Her dreams and imagination become a reality.  I believe she's still in BDC.  

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 3:33 PM, bluesman said:

My bad..... 

Actually I spelled it right in the title and not in the post. I can see how that makes a lot of difference. LOL
Anyway, I've been in the activity for 50 years, just don't forum normally. It itched long enough and I scratched it.

On 8/3/2018 at 3:42 PM, Bluzes said:

Can't blame them for being successful using bingo as a revenue source while others can't,

I don't think anyone is blaming them for being smart and using bingo as a revenue source.  The problem is that in many states that fund raising source is limited to churches.  In 1981 I joined a corps that in it's first year of existence placed higher than any brand new corps had done in DCI history.  Spirit had held that record by coming in 22nd in it's first year, but in 1980 the Memphis Blues broke that record by coming in 20th.  The Tennessee legislature was almost certain to expand the list of which types of non-profit organizations could run large scale bingo operations. But the level of  opposition that came from Churches was much greater than expected  There were those that wanted exclusive rights to bingo and others completely opposed  anything resembling gambling.  Memphis Blues Brass Band had the potential to be a great corps, but without money to pay staff or maintain facilities the corps folded mid-season in 1983.  The corps was not badly managed.  The director George Lindstrom went on to work with the Blue Knights and his late wife Lynn helped turn WGI into the incredible organization that it is today.  

We've seen so many great and not so great corps fold due to financial problems over the decades so yes there is a bit of resentment and jealously directed towards organizations that never have to worry about money.  We all know that life isn't fair..... but a more equitable distribution of money derived from tickets sales does not seem like a lot to ask.... especially since some top level corps aren't dependent on it.

• Like 1