2019 Madison Scouts!

16 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

That was a generation ago. If being all male and full of #### and vinegar was the drawing card it was back then, why are Cavaliers competing for a medal while Scouts are not even close to making Finals? 

Poor executive leadership 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

That's all gone.

No, it is not.

Are you saying that women or trans folk cannot be, in your words, "bad a55"?  The supersuit is the same regardless of the biological sex, gender identity, or sexual orientation of the person wearing it.  The identity of the corps, and the meaning behind it, are the same.  The only difference is the membership who can make up and populate the corps starting in the next season.

Not everyone who "marched in Madison" did so simply "because it was all Male and the attitude...and the masculinity of it all."

I, for one, would love to see a poll of current members and alumni to get some quantitative data on your claims.  I would bet that, even though some did specifically march with the Scouts because it was all male, that that was not the driving factor for most.

It at least was certainly not for me.

Edited by ndkbass
added a comma
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Poor executive leadership 

Agreed.

Which is separate from, and should not be conflated with, the decision to have a non-exclusive membership policy relating to biological sex, gender identity, or sexual orientation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, billj said:

We see and hear "lasts" each year, but they're just not announced. "Last year without props", "last year of most corps marching fast, cool drill", "last year without thunderous goo", 'last year of traditional uniforms', etc.

They are a result of evolution, and they are all sad, but we all survive and move on. 

not all change is evolution and not all change is good.they could aliens in the corps, but without the right people to design and teach them, it's not going to be good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

That was a generation ago. If being all male and full of #### and vinegar was the drawing card it was back then, why are Cavaliers competing for a medal while Scouts are not even close to making Finals? 

Its simple. The Madison Scouts have incompetent leaders who have been allowed to destroy this organization for 10 years... 10 YEARS! Madison is following the recipe that puts organizations out of business.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

not all change is evolution and not all change is good.they could aliens in the corps, but without the right people to design and teach them, it's not going to be good

Well said. 

21 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

All I know is for the last time ever this coming weekend, I will see an all male Madison Scouts for the last time. I'm for inclusiveness, but I truly wonder if this decision would have happened if the corps was placing better. I am hoping people in the crowd aren't idiots about it....but man I am really tired of seeing so many "lasts" in drum corps

Change your perspective - it can be about the "firsts" in drum corps too.

Mike

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

This is a non-issue. First, for decades this was never a problem for the Scouts. And it has never been a problem for the Cavaliers.

MSDBA used to post their board minutes online.  It was a problem as far back as 1999.  And someone in this thread mentioned board minutes talking about the difficulty recruiting guard members in 1975.  

Mike

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Change your perspective - it can be about the "firsts" in drum corps too.

Mike

the first won't be til next year. so i'll worry about a first next year

21 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

All I know is for the last time ever this coming weekend, I will see an all male Madison Scouts for the last time. I'm for inclusiveness, but I truly wonder if this decision would have happened if the corps was placing better. I am hoping people in the crowd aren't idiots about it....but man I am really tired of seeing so many "lasts" in drum corps

I agree with you about seeing so many lasts. I love Madison and do wish them well. I, too, am all for a more inclusive and diverse corps; and I hope this works wonders for the Scouts. But there is that part of you that is sad because you grew up enjoying two all-male corps and after this season that shrinks to one. 

What I do hope for, however, is that all the young men and women of Wisconsin and surrounding states realize what a great opportunity this can be for them and that they rally around the Scouts and realize they have a chance to make a difference. I applaud the men currently marching. They really have a fun and entertaining show that, while somewhat old school, is really coming together and should thrill fans in Allentown and Indy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1