2019 Madison Scouts!

On 5/26/2019 at 3:42 PM, ripchops said:

One of my buddies lives within walking distance of the spring training site for the Scouts - I asked if he could hear them rehearsing and he said he can, and that they sound great. Just thought I’d pass along some insight 🙂

I expect nothing less from Arranger X. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 5:03 PM, MikeD said:

I agree. They needed much more ‘elemental’ sounding music. That costumes themselves were great

Agree on both counts.

Didn't like the costumes when I first saw photos/video of them, but when we saw them up close in the park in Allentown... wow. Amazing detail, sharp look.

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Will they read yours?  🤔

point some out to me, and i may read them next month. of course you could provide me content

In one of Jimmy Elvord's vid comments about the upcoming 2019 design he mentions that he corps was going back to roots as in the khaki of the original uniforms as a Scout troop. That led me to a thought about Scouts headwear for 2019:   the original overseas cap?  the French kepi they wore the years they crossed to Europe? what if anything will it be???

6 hours ago, xandandl said:

In one of Jimmy Elvord's vid comments about the upcoming 2019 design he mentions that he corps was going back to roots as in the khaki of the original uniforms as a Scout troop. That led me to a thought about Scouts headwear for 2019:   the original overseas cap?  the French kepi they wore the years they crossed to Europe? what if anything will it be???

Yes, it will be the overseas cap. And I get the impression that during the closer, they will be removed.

From what I'm being told via those who've been in attendance at the Scouts spring training is that the percussion section is presently head and shoulders the strongest and most mature section of the corps.  Overall though, the corps is VERY young this year, especially the horn line.  I've also been told that it appears that they're still looking to fill a number of guard positions, but that the rest of the corps is apparently full.  The overriding report is that the Men of Madison are absolutely loving the show and that those in attendance are unanimously very impressed and thrilled by the music along with overall sound and visuals!  An early BIG setback has been that the weather is not cooperating which means they're somewhat behind on the visual package.  Overall, it sounds like everyone is in great spirits and they're genuinely jazzed.  Everyone who's given me first hand reporting is telling me that the 2019 Madison Scouts are going to hit us square between the eyes with unmistakable Madison!...Let us hope this is true.

Edited by Mad75
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Mad75 said:

From what I'm being told via those who've been in attendance at the Scouts spring training is that the percussion section is presently head and shoulders the strongest and most mature section of the corps.  Overall though, the corps is VERY young this year, especially the horn line.  I've also been told that it appears that they're still looking to fill a number of guard positions, but that the rest of the corps is apparently full.  The overriding report is that the Men of Madison are absolutely loving the show and that those in attendance are unanimously very impressed and thrilled by the music along with overall sound and visuals!  An early BIG setback has been that the weather is not cooperating which means they're somewhat behind on the visual package.  Overall, it sounds like everyone is in great spirits and they're genuinely jazzed.  Everyone who's given me first hand reporting is telling me that the 2019 Madison Scouts are going to hit us square between the eyes with unmistakable Madison!...Let us hope this is true.

What are guard numbers at? How many were they hoping to march?

52 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

What are guard numbers at? How many were they hoping to march?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to either of your questions.  I simply reported what I was told..."they're still looking to fill the guard".  That was from a week ago...maybe things have changed.  I do know from Jimmy Elvord interviews that the intention is to field a "large" guard.  How that corresponds into numbers would be a guess.

Edited by Mad75

19 hours ago, xandandl said:

If "Nine White Russians" has the inside scoop, the "overseas" cap you mention is based upon a 1911 version that has a crease down the center.  The only clues that Jimmy Elvord expressed in public interviews is a "modernized" version of the "original" 1930's Scouts khaki uniform.  Jimmy gave no other particular uniform/costume details...He did say though that he believes "we'll love the look"!   In regards to your headgear question, the original Madison Scout hat was the time period Boy Scout wide brim round park ranger hat.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know what color the shoes are? Black again I’m assuming?