2019 Phantom Regiment

5 hours ago, RADIO3 said:

I wish when people say things like 'not top 12 design' etc they would be a bit more specific. That's just a glib catch-all. In what way does the design not work? 

Are they raising the bar of the activity? Are they doing something new for the activity? Are they doing something unique?

Answer - NO! At least not yet. Can this show do those things? I'd like to say yes but in all honesty the better designed shows are already ahead of them and will stay there no matter what Regiment does. Cleaning is not going to keep them in the top12. MAJOR development must accompany the cleaning. But when you have continual (major) show development, you are in a constant state of cleaning.

If the staff made the conscience decision to put out a basic show design and continually add elements as the season went on, IMO, that was a mistake. If you don't WOW people (judges) early on (8 points behind coats), you will not catch up.

Edited by Rocketman
spelling

It’s easier to teach a common theme than it is to teach a story line.  A common theme often has a greater margin of interpretation (means different things to different people) often with the same emotional outcome, whereas a story typically has a fixed plot or meaning and that singular storyline may be confusing / disagreeable to some.  If I remember right, the winning Spartacus show didn’t firm up its storyline until late in the season after the audience was conditioned to its emotional drive and theme.  It might be worth it to leave out the “I am Joan” yell, etc. until they get the theme(s) of the show refined / cleaned up and then throw in all the accents needed to tighten it into a working / successful story.

It’s obvious that today’s DCI shows focus on the solution / outcome without defining the requirements needed to get to the outcome. A winning show comes in stages and rarely starts out by refining a completed show.  PR use to know this.  Experience knows this!  

No matter the industry or profession, today’s modern workforce doesn’t want to hear anything about experience (the past).  It’s all about the present. Good deductive reasoning skills are nothing without ample experience to make them work right.    

Edited by Land_Surfer
  • Like 2

Out of the corps that have performed so far, Phantom is currently projected to finish 12th. The Blue Knights haven't been thrown into the mix, so make that 13th. And depending on if Spirit builds on last year, that could be 14th.

Based on my growth projection spreadsheet, after two shows it forecasts several distinct blocks...

The Top 6 - No one is catching them. These will be the Top 6 corps, in some order, guaranteed:

1. Santa Clara Vanguard
2. Blue Devils
3. Carolina Crown
4. Bluecoats
5. Cavaliers
6. Boston Crusaders

Boston's 6th place score, as of right now, is forecast to be 94.925! Then there's a four point drop, and another four corps between 89 and 91...

7. Mandarins
8. Cadets
9. Blue Knights
10. Blue Stars

Blue Knights are just a guess right now, based on prior years' performances. But right now, these all look like locks. There's another 2+ point drop to 11th place, and here is where things get interesting...

11. Academy (87.3225)
12. Crossmen (86.2500)
13. Phantom Regiment (85.4125)
14. Spirit of Atlanta (85.4000)
15. Madison Scouts (84.85000)

Five corps, two finals spots.

Of course I'm not saying Phantom is doomed to 13th place after two shows. But Phantom has A LOT of work to do over the next six weeks. Monday will be the first good look: Phantom, Blue Stars, Crossmen, and Spirit all at the Evansville show. If Phantom is closer to Blue Stars and ahead of Crossmen, that will be a big first step. Behind Crossmen, they've got work to do. Behind SPIRIT, and the odds of making Saturday night just get that much longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Of course I'm not saying Phantom is doomed to 13th place after two shows. But Phantom has A LOT of work to do over the next six weeks. Monday will be the first good look: Phantom, Blue Stars, Crossmen, and Spirit all at the Evansville show. If Phantom is closer to Blue Stars and ahead of Crossmen, that will be a big first step. Behind Crossmen, they've got work to do. Behind SPIRIT, and the odds of making Saturday night just get that much longer.

Spirit looks and sounds pretty strong, but I'm also biased. Their sets are cleaner (noticeably) than PR is at the moment and I believe their drill drives the GE scores up, not down. Again, as many others have said, I don't think PR is doomed to miss finals. I truly believe that they'll get it together. The show just isn't being performed to it's potential yet and the drill needs some serious looks and feedback (see my post from this morning for my personal take.) I'm going to watch X-men tonight and see what I think about them. I hear good things.

Oh...one thing I didn't say in my earlier post. PR...I freakin' LOVE your uni's this year. Just enough of the old school to make you know who it is that you're watching and modern enough to be comfortable for the MM's. 

Now go work on that high mark time into the goose step thing because although I <3 you guys, you look like baby giraffes trying to walk for the first time right now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hostrauser said:

11. Academy (87.3225)
12. Crossmen (86.2500)

After the way the Colts have started, it looks like you should add them as a contender to at least Regiment and Spirit. 16th again for Madison.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Out of the corps that have performed so far, Phantom is currently projected to finish 12th. The Blue Knights haven't been thrown into the mix, so make that 13th. And depending on if Spirit builds on last year, that could be 14th.

Based on my growth projection spreadsheet, after two shows it forecasts several distinct blocks...

The Top 6 - No one is catching them. These will be the Top 6 corps, in some order, guaranteed:

1. Santa Clara Vanguard
2. Blue Devils
3. Carolina Crown
4. Bluecoats
5. Cavaliers
6. Boston Crusaders

Boston's 6th place score, as of right now, is forecast to be 94.925! Then there's a four point drop, and another four corps between 89 and 91...

7. Mandarins
8. Cadets
9. Blue Knights
10. Blue Stars

Blue Knights are just a guess right now, based on prior years' performances. But right now, these all look like locks. There's another 2+ point drop to 11th place, and here is where things get interesting...

11. Academy (87.3225)
12. Crossmen (86.2500)

Troop is in there, maybe ahead of Madison.

15 hours ago, Rocketman said:

If the staff made the conscience decision to put out a basic show design and continually add elements as the season went on, IMO, that was a mistake. If you don't WOW people (judges) early on (8 points behind coats), you will not catch up.

I'd totally agree. With the way the system works, you'll get credit early on in the content side of a caption if you've got a cool design or compositional element that's not quite clean yet but clean enough to be readable and get some effect. Trying to plug in those things after the fact rather than making them integral to the production from the start is a mistake.  

Regiment's show, at this point, is just too plain Jane (or plain Joan, if you prefer).

Edited by Slingerland

8 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

After the way the Colts have started, it looks like you should add them as a contender to at least Regiment and Spirit. 16th again for Madison.

The Colts are coming out of the gates on FIRE (literally)!This show has serious legs! And, from what I understand, they haven’t even put the closer on the field yet!!!😳😳😳

I've now listened to the show 3 or 4 times. Why do I have this feeling that somehow it's been worked backwards? The last 2 minutes of the show are SO much stronger than the middle or opening segments. They have beautiful, full sound that last 2 minutes. The sets are fairly solid as well in the closer. It's from the starting gun to like 4 minutes in that seems very under rehearsed. I know the kids and staff are busting their #####, I'm just wondering if I'm seeing things wrong.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Spirit looks and sounds pretty strong, but I'm also biased. Their sets are cleaner (noticeably) than PR is at the moment and I believe their drill drives the GE scores up, not down. Again, as many others have said, I don't think PR is doomed to miss finals. I truly believe that they'll get it together. The show just isn't being performed to it's potential yet and the drill needs some serious looks and feedback (see my post from this morning for my personal take.) I'm going to watch X-men tonight and see what I think about them. I hear good things.

Oh...one thing I didn't say in my earlier post. PR...I freakin' LOVE your uni's this year. Just enough of the old school to make you know who it is that you're watching and modern enough to be comfortable for the MM's. 

Now go work on that high mark time into the goose step thing because although I ❤️ you guys, you look like baby giraffes trying to walk for the first time right now. 

Based on what I've seen from Spirit so far, they'll crack the top 12. I love Phantom Regiment, but I think they're in trouble this season. The design issues have finally caught tup with them. I'm not a huge fan of their brass books the past few years. When they lost JD and the Rennick's the quality of the show design went downhill fast. I think Will had big shoes to step into and has done a great job, but it's just not the same place it has been. My hope is that they can recover this season, but I think it's a long shot. 

• Like 1