The Cavaliers 2019

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m CT, too. I never, ever stay up until midnight unless I’m in Indy for championships and plied with alcohol. 😂 

Hahaha! Yeah, I am not thrilled to be up late on Friday but I know my excitement will keep me up.

• Like 3

On 6/17/2019 at 8:48 PM, jjeffeory said:

They look incredible! Best reveal literally ever...  The show is amazing, the media team is amazing, the uniforms are amazing.  Just incredible!!!!

Cannot disagree more. Complete loss of identity for the corps. I can't understand why they would wear these steampunk pajamas over the (very slick) corps proper uniforms. Watching the corps succomb to this WGI trend makes my stomach sick. 

Edited by HolyNOLA
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

Cannot disagree more. Complete loss of identity for the corps. I can't understand why they would wear these steampunk pajamas over the (very slick) corps proper uniforms. Watching the corps succomb to this WGI trend makes my stomach sick. 

The unis kind of took me by surprise too, but I'll wait and see how they look on the tube Saturday night. I'm not completely on board with the WGI trends either. So many just look too "busy" to me. 

My friend lives near Fernley.  She's not a drum corps person, though she was exposed to it a bit when she was growing up in Massachusetts in the late 60's/early 70's.  But, she's inquisitive and is a classical music fan, as well as being quite cultured.  She went to part of the ensemble practice and the full run through with her husband and wasn't impressed.  Somehow she knew the theme was "other side of the tracks" and said her untrained eye didn't see any cohesion between actions and music.  (She did share a short clip with me.  She didn't know that was against the rules.  I won't post it anywhere.)

Probably just an example of what I've said for years--drum corps is no longer accessible to lay people and themes aren't always apparent unless the designer explains it.. 

But, the DCI podcast said the show has something to do with Irish people and Gangs of New York (or something).  I guess that didn't come across from the name of the show or what my inexperienced friend watched.

On 6/20/2019 at 2:48 PM, OldSnareDrummer said:

The unis kind of took me by surprise too, but I'll wait and see how they look on the tube Saturday night. I'm not completely on board with the WGI trends either. So many just look too "busy" to me. 

Since Cesario is controlling the industry and the look, if you ever see his professional photos the garb is as plain as can be, usually straight black.  I find it an odd coincidence while I agree totally with your post.

Edited by xandandl

53 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

My friend lives near Fernley.  She's not a drum corps person, though she was exposed to it a bit when she was growing up in Massachusetts in the late 60's/early 70's.  But, she's inquisitive and is a classical music fan, as well as being quite cultured.  She went to part of the ensemble practice and the full run through with her husband and wasn't impressed.  Somehow she knew the theme was "other side of the tracks" and said her untrained eye didn't see any cohesion between actions and music.  (She did share a short clip with me.  She didn't know that was against the rules.  I won't post it anywhere.)

Probably just an example of what I've said for years--drum corps is no longer accessible to lay people and themes aren't always apparent unless the designer explains it.. 

But, the DCI podcast said the show has something to do with Irish people and Gangs of New York (or something).  I guess that didn't come across from the name of the show or what my inexperienced friend watched.

You drew a conclusion of “irrelevance” from an opinion of one person? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

And for me... I’m saying thank god this isn’t a literal interpretation of the title. I couldn’t imagine what she would say about a show entitled “Babylon” but she wouldve loved a show like SOS where the theme was rammed down your throat.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

And that of someone who had minimal drum corps exposure from the 60’s and 70’s? Guess the Cavaliers should just call it a season cause Betty Jo from Northern Nevada just didn’t get it.

im being harsh I know. But seriously? How many drum corps titles per season are a literal translation of the theme/design?

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

And that of someone who had minimal drum corps exposure from the 60’s and 70’s? Guess the Cavaliers should just call it a season cause Betty Jo from Northern Nevada just didn’t get it.

im being harsh I know. But seriously? How many drum corps titles per season are a literal translation of the theme/design?

Poor Betty Jo .. I could almost little see little stick figure shirts that say ..

Don't be like Betty Jo.

Seriously,. I love how people call their season dead before they've even had their first performance.

Go Cavies!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I neither used the word "irrelevance", nor drew a conclusion about the show.  Where did you get this from?

I merely reported what I clearly defined as a lay person said to me.  I haven't made a conclusion about the show.

And for me... I’m saying thank god this isn’t a literal interpretation of the title. I couldn’t imagine what she would say about a show entitled “Babylon” but she wouldve loved a show like SOS where the theme was rammed down your throat.

Since we met as mutual fans of science fiction and the TV show "Babylon Five", I think she's intelligent enough to figure out that Babylon has several possible meanings.

So, are you saying people--newbies or current fans--who loved SOS are idiots?

Or, was Propaganda a bad show for the Cavaliers because the theme was rammed down our throats?  (For the record, I loved that show, too)

• Like 1