The Cadets 2019

Excuse me for not reading the last 100 pages of replies, but who the #### thought it was a good idea to have the main female character literally stripped and beaten on the 50 yard line?

What the actual ####?

How?

Why?

Nuke this #### and start over. Ditch the "story," which is incomprehensible to start with. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2019 at 9:43 PM, exitmusic said:

I'm so happy that this corps exists and I'm not trying to be a downer, but this is a ninth place show. Hopefully this is a building year and we can see some return to excellence in the years to come!

You people should listen to me.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Excuse me for not reading the last 100 pages of replies, but who the #### thought it was a good idea to have the main female character literally stripped and beaten on the 50 yard line?

What the actual ####?

How?

Why?

Nuke this #### and start over. Ditch the "story," which is incomprehensible to start with. 

I think the staff is likely hearing what the judges think and also the fans (on here and elsewhere). I have no doubt Cadets staff will nix some things and put in big changes to fix the program. Just from the little that I have heard of their percussion and brass, they do have very capable music captions this year. This corps is still in a state of change. You just don't magically turn the page and move on after what they went through. There is no method book out there with directions on how to respond to their past problems and still manage to recruit, build staff, fund the corps, and somehow pump out a top 5 show.  All that aside, there are 3 certain elements that are IN THEIR FAVOR:

1. A BOD committed to the well-being of these kids and to funding a great performance organization
  2. A solid staff that will react to the judges sheets and to the fans and make changes
  3. Super talented members who will learn this music and drill and by mid-season will be looking sharp and sounding good (even if you're not a super fan of the show itselt)

Their opening score was not bad. That said, I continue to feel that scores for this corps do not matter. I know it matters to some, but what matters most is for the members to love being Cadets, and to love the art of performing and traveling as Cadets. I personally think this show will grow on people as the summer moves along. I think they have excellent performers who just need more time to master the show.  Personally I would have staff back away from being too literal with the theme, but I imagine they are trying things at this stage to see what works and what does not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

There is no method book out there with directions on how to respond to their past problems and still manage to recruit, build staff, fund the corps, and somehow pump out a top 5 show. 

Maybe not, but it doesn't take rocket scientists to look at the past 18 months and say, "You know what? We should avoid literally staging sexual abuse on the field."

I'm just completely stupefied that the current designers are so tone deaf. Just mortified.

Did anyone learn anything?

Honestly, the Board *should* step in here. I know at least one Board member posts here for some reason. This is how you lose supporters. 

Just. Be. The. Cadets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Maybe not, but it doesn't take rocket scientists to look at the past 18 months and say, "You know what? We should avoid literally staging sexual abuse on the field."

I'm just completely stupefied that the current designers are so tone deaf. Just mortified.

Did anyone learn anything?

Honestly, the Board *should* step in here. I know at least one Board member posts here for some reason. This is how you lose supporters. 

Just. Be. The. Cadets.

I know I have thought that way (i.e. clear the deck, try something new, move beyond this stuff, and stay away from being too literal). But I am willing to give the designers a chance. 

• Like 1

I wish their media staff was more involved with show design.  They seem to understand pacing and emotion as well or better than anyone in the organization, and most importantly they understand that effective music connection comes from a build up over time, not from short snippets here and there with percussion filler in between.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1