Drain The Swamp, Dan

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Who is spewing hatred for the activity?  I think I missed that so can you point that out to me?

Most of that is on other social media sites.  But here is one example, right here in this thread:

On 8/25/2018 at 12:26 AM, 2000Cadet said:

I hate drum corps now.

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Not from me.  And the person I reported in 2012 before the policies were in place, was trying to slink his way back into the activity through a Soundsport group this season ... I didn’t even bother with DCI .  Got it up on drumcorps Reddit, and the Soundsport group sent him packing.  Squeaky wheel and all that. 

No not you but they happened. 

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

Now you fall prey to the same argument you have been fighting against.

DCI doesn't have to have extended office staff to monitor today's social sites.

There can be trusted designated volunteers who do that, even younger volunteers than the Midwestern Mafia in the office these decades. Look how well the corps and DCI use the interns in the summer. "Pay" might be free ticket(s) to Championships or Regionals.  At educational institutions where I was in admin., we always had parents/grandparents of alumni; these people would compile a list of whenever the school appeared in mentions on social sites or in the press; they'd filter the list and pass to designated person who determined what needed follow-up, investigation, or a word/card of thanks. Simple process which garnered many good results. Today I know there are computer filters like the one DCP news uses to alert it to press articles or direct mention of drum corps. I am widening the net (pun) to include monitoring in alumni FB, instagrams, Reddit and other sites where discussions of individual corps as well as DCI may be mentioned. Many here on DCP even use something similar when "following" certain posters. What is there to lose?

DCI needs to widen its octupus arms rather than retreat into Tony Schlecterism.  It almost killed drum corps once. We don't need to be on life-support now.  

Volunteers sounds great in theory. But then you also have to vet the volunteers. I don’t disagree it can be done, but even then there’s a process. I can’t even go on a field trip with my daughter at school without the background check, but as we have seen, that’s not foolproof 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Now a new excuse:  DCI doesn't have the time to monitor social media sites. The Stockholm Syndrome has a strong grip on a few of you. Excuses excuses. 

Do you know how many people actually work in the office?

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And after that what? After reading the allegations the real work starts. (or $tart$). Does DCI have the warm bodies to check everything out? Not making excuses just bringing up the fact that changes have to be made to how DCI operates to do this the right way. And that means spending money on third parties or hiring more in house people to investigate. Either way money has to be coming from somewhere. Too important to just add it to someone's duties.s

Bingo. Not saying they shouldn’t invest it. But everyone here is #####ing about compliance yet offering up ideas that actually require more work and cost than you think. The office staff in Indy is there to handle with the tour events and merchandising and marketing 

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I do think if the corps get together at the proper time CORPS would be glad to pony up some bucks for someone to head this up for them, At least it's what I have heard, BUT then again right now it is just chatter and I don't like saying things before they are firmed up one way or another. Talk is just talk until action is taken.

The corps need to have zero say. They’ve proven they can’t police themselves 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

Bingo. Not saying they shouldn’t invest it. But everyone here is #####ing about compliance yet offering up ideas that actually require more work and cost than you think. The office staff in Indy is there to handle with the tour events and merchandising and marketing 

The sarcastic phrase “I’ll do it in my spare (work) time” keeps coming to mind

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The sarcastic phrase “I’ll do it in my spare (work) time” keeps coming to mind

Yup. It’s too serious of an issue to half ### it because half assing it got dci into this mess

• Thanks 1