Drain The Swamp, Dan

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

The bottom line is one has to separate the facts on a most important subject from the noise from those who will use something like this just to spew hated for the activity of today. When you deal with this, mistakes are not an option

here was my original post

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Well if you have to ask:lle:. And all, we have to do is go back to other topics on this type of subject. There was plenty of deserved outrage on a certain director THEN it was pointed out, was it the outrage OR the person. Well for some it took 1 or 2 posts and the subject turned to how they ruined the activity, how they started the G7 , how their proposals for activity were for the worst. How what they wanted as the direction was terrible, how they changed the beloved activity for some, all of which had nothing to do with the topic.

This subject has no room for error, nor does it need mob mentality. What it needs is action, what it needs is investigation, not just after the fact but before things happen, what it needs is a level head NOT to destroy lives on every side, what it needs is oversight, what it needs is a firm set of rules that spell out consequences, what it needs is education from top to bottom.

Just making a point BUT as the old saying goes, " If the shoe fits " or if my statement gives a person reason to pause:whistle: ..........Of course not saying you, just a statement and thought.

Here is also How I responded to Hockey

21 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Terri the question below was posed "Who is spewing hatred for the activity?"...the example given for spewing hatred was..."I hate drum corps now."  I may not always agree with @2000Cadet BUT he is the LAST PERSON I'd say was spewing HATRED....this was a very poor example to illustrate the point...hence WHY I said they were two different things...Having frustration with the activity is understandable though...

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Who is spewing hatred for the activity?  I think I missed that so can you point that out to me?

Most of that is on other social media sites.  But here is one example, right here in this thread:

On 8/25/2018 at 12:26 AM, 2000Cadet said:

I hate drum corps now.

I had no idea this question was going to be parsed so differently after it was answered.

There have been several exclamations of this vague nature over social media.  Like you, I suspect that even when a post spews the word "hate", it may just be symptomatic of momentary frustration with the latest news.

• Thanks 2

I wanted to make a comment about revamping DCI but something came up that consumed my time—a nap.

Revamping or restructuring DCI to make the broad changes people are suggesting would probably take at least 3-5 years and has to be well planned and well thought out. It will not happen for 2019.However, there are important things that can be done and will not require a great deal of work but would be significant. 

First, have a common hiring process for all corps and a common screening of volunteers common to all corps. No more questionable hires. I do understand wanting to give someone a second chance, and I know how difficult confrontation can be, especially in a human services activity, but in the long run it’s not fair to the organization or the person you want to have a second chance.

Second, implement a required training process for all staff and volunteers that includes recognizing abouse, hazing, sexual misconduct.

Third, the whistle blowing program is great, but we I have s feeling it has kinks. Figure out better ways to protect the anonymity of the callers and develop healthy and constructive ways to get the information to corps directors. 

Fourth, common safety procedures and medical staff requirements.

24 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Your "statement" was edited. You also stated there are plenty of examples. Well you need to back up your statement IMO. Yes, there IS a need when you make accusations imo. I am not saying that I agree and/or disagree either. 

If one can't see how this has happened Im not here to educate.. To not see how this has happened in the past is pretty enlightening in itself. I made a statement period BUT I will remember when people make statements,a general statement they need to show proof.

I'm not going to name names, wouldn't that be a personal attack?

Edited by GUARDLING

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I had no idea this question was going to be parsed so differently after it was answered.

There have been several exclamations of this vague nature over social media.  Like you, I suspect that even when a post spews the word "hate", it may just be symptomatic of momentary frustration with the latest news.

YES and the bigger point is.....don't confuse the important subject with anything else

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

I wanted to make a comment about revamping DCI but something came up that consumed my time—a nap.

Revamping or restructuring DCI to make the broad changes people are suggesting would probably take at least 3-5 years and has to be well planned and well thought out. It will not happen for 2019.However, there are important things that can be done and will not require a great deal of work but would be significant. 

First, have a common hiring process for all corps and a common screening of volunteers common to all corps. No more questionable hires. I do understand wanting to give someone a second chance, and I know how difficult confrontation can be, especially in a human services activity, but in the long run it’s not fair to the organization or the person you want to have a second chance.

Second, implement a required training process for all staff and volunteers that includes recognizing abouse, hazing, sexual misconduct.

Third, the whistle blowing program is great, but we I have s feeling it has kinks. Figure out better ways to protect the anonymity of the callers and develop healthy and constructive ways to get the information to corps directors. 

Fourth, common safety procedures and medical staff requirements.

DCI should bite the bullet.

Hire an outside consulting firm to look and the whole organization and be given the  the authority to make binding decisions.

Thing is,unless the BoD  i.e. corps think what's going on is going to hurt their bottom line,ain't nothin gonna happen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Some of them do enjoy piling on. No doubt.

If I had a dime for every time someone said. I #### drum corps through the years I would be playing poker with Trump right now. How does worrying about that now have any chance of solving the core issues, make it right. Shut people up that way. Is this out of Romans PR manual?  Is this Music City Art coming back to bite someone? Focus don't let Reddit/DCP get to you there are bigger fishes to fry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

DCI should bite the bullet.

Hire an outside consulting firm to look and the whole organization and be given the  the authority to make binding decisions.

Thing is,unless the BoD  i.e. corps think what's going on is going to hurt their bottom line,ain't nothin gonna happen.

I think corps might  " MIGHT"

Edited by GUARDLING

34 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

We needed to go through a run of the mill background check before we could donate stuff from our garden to the local "Old Age Home". They considered us volunteers and that was their policy.

Well we all know about that funny “parsley” lol

Dealing with the older church ladies about clearances years back was surreal. I was born and raised in that church so they knew and trusted me. But even at about 40 years old and beard started to go grey it I was still Jimmy. “Oh now I understand Jimmy. Thanks for explaining Jimmy” OY!

• Like 1