Putting it all in context

30 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I think they picked DCA because it is a much easier way to have a full season of shows, for an East Coast corps.

Good move lets them have jobs and be in crops, like the old days. Even being in OC would affect a full-time job. On the other hand, if info from other threads come true and they move (hope they don't). 2 could switch to OC then, different members but still playing their role. Lots of moving parts hope they don't move too much. 

4 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Good move lets them have jobs and be in crops, like the old days. Even being in OC would affect a full-time job. On the other hand, if info from other threads come true and they move (hope they don't). 2 could switch to OC then, different members but still playing their role. Lots of moving parts hope they don't move too much. 

I would be surprised if they EVER went to OC. It's not the purpose of C2 when started

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I would be surprised if they EVER went to OC. It's not the purpose of C2 when started

It wouldn't surprise me. If someday they decide to pack it in in the east. Say hypnotically they moved to some place outside the east. Where they been holding remote camps that laid the groundwork for the move? Then I could envision 2 going OC. By force of hand by the move or by DCA, but not by an isolated business decision.

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

It wouldn't surprise me. If someday they decide to pack it in in the east. Say hypnotically they moved to some place outside the east. Where they been holding remote camps that laid the groundwork for the move? Then I could envision 2 going OC. By force of hand by the move or by DCA, but not by an isolated business decision.

OC was never the intent. It was formed to give just the weekend experience, cheaper, for some younger. I don't think Cadets want to deal with another tour, full time, etc etc. I would think if they did move, although I would be surprised, but  if they did I think 2 will be done

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

Heard they already do. Was told Cadets 2 don't accept anyone over 18. Makes sense so to feed the Cadets or other corps. If Cadets 2 wanted to they could switch to OC and not miss a beat.

fake news

43 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

OC was never the intent. It was formed to give just the weekend experience, cheaper, for some younger. I don't think Cadets want to deal with another tour, full time, etc etc. I would think if they did move, although I would be surprised, but  if they did I think 2 will be done

10000% correct

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Heard they already do. (DCA corps set their own age rules)

You're right they do. The posts before were about having DCI corps be aged 18 to 22 or split corps by age for whatever reasons. Just pointing out there are even younger people without problem in the weekend warrior circuit.

edit: added ( info) to bluzes quote as came out misleading without (info)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Heard they already do. Was told Cadets 2 don't accept anyone over 18. Makes sense so to feed the Cadets or other corps. If Cadets 2 wanted to they could switch to OC and not miss a beat.

24 is the max age for C2. An exception was made for even that.

The rationale that they'll take the 22-24's are age outs who would still like to be involved with the brand as performers, or for say, someone who just never was able to afford or perform with Cadets in college, but would still like the experience.

The corps is mainly there to create opportunities for younger people who desire the "Cadets experience"...  and also to get them in front of the Cadets staff to try and help them land a spot in the DCI corps in their future, which does happen.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2018 at 7:23 AM, momrod2000 said:

How would having separate age groups prevent predators?

Having separate age groups is not the answer.
1.  This is saying that it's the victim's fault because of his/her age.  The victim is NEVER at fault.  NEVER.  EVER.
2.  DCI says there can be no sexual contact between staff and marching members regardless of age.  It doesn't matter if the staff member and the marching member are both 22.  It is against the rules.  Period.
3.  DCI says there can be no sexual contact between a marching member who is over 18 with a marching member who is under 18.

I was there during the webinar that every corps was required to attend.  #2 and #3 above were clearly spelled out in no uncertain terms.  What is and what is not harassment were the focus of the questions the panel received.  However,  it was clearly stated - no relationships between staff & marching members and no physical relationships between those who are 18 or older with those who are 18 and younger.  No ambiguity.

How would this hurt the activity?

1.  It would give the implication that the problem is the marching members instead of the predators.
2.  It would exclude some of the most talented youth.  Those who have already had success in World Class will not go back to marching Open Class.  Asking them to do so is an insult. (see #1 above).  Marching members should NOT be punished because staff don't/can't/won't act professionally.
3. It would give the impression that that type of activity between staff and marching members is acceptable in World Class.

Again, no matter the victim's age, no matter the victim's gender, the victim is NEVER EVER at fault.  NEVER!!!!!!  

EXACTLY. Not sure why Liahona doesn't get this or its connection to his statement 

8 hours ago, Bluzes said:

You are absolutely wrong on this. Or rather the info you were given is ignorant and absolutely wrong. Upper parameter from the beginning was not past 25th birthday; an exception has been made once. The upper limit was made so to avail of qualifications of youth definition and possible grants. 25 is the number used by the Federal government for programs such as Obamacare, where college kids under 25 can still be covered by their parent's medical insurance. Please do better research before posting. Have a nice day.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1