Putting it all in context

15 hours ago, Liahona said:

AND YES if there were TWO divisions for age distinction I would say that those members are TOO YOUNG for that division.  Age restrictions are made all the time in other activities.  No grandfathering clauses. The new rules would just need to be followed. This has nothing to do with talent, but child welfare and safety concerns.  

You realize that in order to segregate marchers by age, it becomes essentially impossible to march if you turn 18 during the season?

Just let the corps decide their own age restrictions in DCA.

s/ guy who started in a “Senior” corps at 16 and one other poster here did the same.

• Thanks 1

The title of the thread proposes a consideration of the context of the problem drum corps currently faces:  the challenge of sifting truth from rumor, reputation and careers effected vis-a-vis the effects and affects on sensitives lives; real hurt as different from flirtatiousness going overboard, a consideration of proper understanding of boundaries;  authority roles having greater restrictions and responsibilities; rebuilding trust and more positive public relations to name just a few of the aspects now needing re-discovery and re-building.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with what is stated below and leaving out any political bias, bent, or imposition of motives, I found the brevity and succinct style of cutting the issues to core statements a good gambit for further reflection if one substitutes "drum corps and DCI/DCA" for "schools and colleges/universities."  I am sure that good people with good intentions will disagree with good reasoning about several of the items. I propose the article merely to steer the discussion of the thread towards a discussion of issues rather than ad hominem jousts about this person or that corps. In other words a consideration of the problem in the larger realm context. Perhaps read and discuss further.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/betsy-devoss-new-college-plan-allows-alleged-sexual-offenders-demand-proof-victims-001427843.html

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

You realize that in order to segregate marchers by age, it becomes essentially impossible to march if you turn 18 during the season?

Does not DCI give marchers an extra year now (to age 22) if your birthday falls after June 1st? In this case if the marcher turns 18 in middle of season, he/she remain in under 17 for that season. Life is not always fair.

I think @Jeff Ream made the best point that "and to be 10000% honest, open is probably less financially able to have an even extra higher burden of rules to follow. Those are the corps already struggling for staff and volunteers because it's not as glamorous in Open as it is in World."

That said, I think the idea of age segregation is a BAD idea the more I think about it...

21 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I assume you meant well.  But that article is so poorly written, it will do more harm than good.

ok, that's your opinion and you are quite rightly entitled to it.

I put it out there to raise some talking points. Imho, the several threads on the current topics surrounding abuse in drum corps have seemed to become circular with no more than 8 posters seeming to do the majority of the posting no matter what the aspect; and with two of those posters I wonder if we are beginning to see the early signs of senior citizen diseases as the sentences aren't even minimally written and one guy has told the same story about his relatives no less than 4 times this month. Just raising some talking points. It can always be done in a better way, that's drum corps' search for excellence, no?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

Does not DCI give marchers an extra year now (to age 22) if your birthday falls after June 1st? In this case if the marcher turns 18 in middle of season, he/she remain in under 17 for that season. Life is not always fair.

I recall Eleran posting about his son who turned 18 mid-Spring Training '18. His corps segregated under 18's from housing with 18-22 year olds. The mm had to change rooms and roommates come his 18th birthday. The coincidence of the corps also changing ST venues around that time made the shift a bit easier. Check with Eleran for details.

12 hours ago, xandandl said:

The title of the thread proposes a consideration of the context of the problem drum corps currently faces:  the challenge of sifting truth from rumor, reputation and careers effected vis-a-vis the effects and affects on sensitives lives; real hurt as different from flirtatiousness going overboard, a consideration of proper understanding of boundaries;  authority roles having greater restrictions and responsibilities; rebuilding trust and more positive public relations to name just a few of the aspects now needing re-discovery and re-building.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with what is stated below and leaving out any political bias, bent, or imposition of motives, I found the brevity and succinct style of cutting the issues to core statements a good gambit for further reflection if one substitutes "drum corps and DCI/DCA" for "schools and colleges/universities."  I am sure that good people with good intentions will disagree with good reasoning about several of the items. I propose the article merely to steer the discussion of the thread towards a discussion of issues rather than ad hominem jousts about this person or that corps. In other words a consideration of the problem in the larger realm context. Perhaps read and discuss further.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/betsy-devoss-new-college-plan-allows-alleged-sexual-offenders-demand-proof-victims-001427843.html

Part that strikes me is that schools would not have to "persue" crimes not occurring on school property like frat houses or off campus housing. To put it in corps terms it would be like DCI saying don't worry about crimes when someone not with the corps proper, for example on an off day or after practice. Weird as going back to my era when colleges did not report crimes because it made them look bad. Sound familiar with corps too?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just let the corps decide their own age restrictions in DCA.

Heard they already do. Was told Cadets 2 don't accept anyone over 18. Makes sense so to feed the Cadets or other corps. If Cadets 2 wanted to they could switch to OC and not miss a beat.

3 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Heard they already do. Was told Cadets 2 don't accept anyone over 18. Makes sense so to feed the Cadets or other corps. If Cadets 2 wanted to they could switch to OC and not miss a beat.

I think their focus is on having kids under 18 as member, but there have been some older members...some in their mid 20's, being an all-age corps.

I think they picked DCA because it is a much easier way to have a full season of shows, for an East Coast corps.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1