A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

6 minutes ago, karuna said:

It's not a suspicion.  It's a fact.  He's refused to speak to the press at all.  Get your head out of the sand.

https://twitter.com/TriciaNadolny/status/1057702541423710208

Eyes wide open.  The difference is that I'm calm and sensitive to hyperbole.

(Sarcasm: I especially appreciated the misogyny of TheCindyJackson Mountaineer.  Shameful and ignorant, IMO.)

Edited by garfield

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So if I hear some ninth-hand rumor about someone who rubs me the wrong way, such that I think it is possible (but I am nowhere near the ability to ever prove anything), I am obligated to report it?

The standard is a reasonable suspicion.   A 9th hand rumor about someone you dislike is probably not a reasonable basis.  OTOH you have no obligation to investigate the matter yourself or even to be certain of the facts.  You clearly never have undergone any training in this area.  It's mandated in most states.

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

Eyes wide open.  The difference is that I'm calm and sensitive to hyperbole.

(Sarcasm: I especially appreciated the misogyny of TheCindyJackson Mountaineer.  Shameful and ignorant, IMO.)

No you're running away and hiding instead confronting the facts out of some misplaced loyalty.  Anyone who think Acheson's hands were tied is delusional.  

(not sure what the mountaineer comment refers to but not to something said by me)

Edited by karuna

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

Someone else said it here prior:  First, they held back until they had a scrubbed message, and they were blamed for being slow to address.

Now, they attempt to get out front and iterate what P&P have been put in place, and they're accused of trying to shut down the discussion when nothing at all indicates that as a truism.

It would be best for D.A. to talk with Tricia Nadolny, one-on-one, as she requested.  He can insist on bringing legal representation, if it seems risky.  The fact is she has important information, possibly stuff he should know ASAP.  That would be good leadership.  

Edited by Ediker
clarity

17 minutes ago, Ediker said:

It would be best for D.A. to talk with Tricia Nadolny, one-on-one, as she requested.  He can insist on bringing legal representation, if it seems risky.  The fact is she has important information, possibly stuff he should know ASAP.  That's good leadership.  

His refusal to do so speaks far more loudly than his ridiculous video.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, karuna said:

If Dan can’t face the press and answer questions honestly and thoroughly he needs to go.  Same for all the rest of the old guard. They are all hurting the activity.  And that applies to band, guard , and drum line world as well.  If you suspect abuse or misconduct you have a duty to report it.  You don’t need legal proof;  you just need a reasonable suspicion.  Doing nothing is not ok.  

Dan is doing exactly what the lawyers are advising him to do. if there's a blame here, it's the lawyers.

39 minutes ago, karuna said:

Look up mandated reporter.  I suspect every staff member, director, and DCI event staffer ALL qualify.  

As for hiding their head and saying "they wouldn't let us do anything",  guess what?  They can (and probably had a duty to) report to appropriate authorities if they suspect abuse of a minor.  

No one is buying the "I was powerless to act" nonsense.  They had a duty to report suspected abuse.  They failed.  They need to go.

In many states failing to report is a crime.  Failing to report when abuse is actually proven is often a felony.  

actually suspect isn't often enough legal grounds to do anything, and in fact, making a false accusation can lead to a whole world of hurt. Ask the former band director who once falsely accused me of inappropriate relations with a student

41 minutes ago, garfield said:

"A mandated reporter is a person who, because of his or her profession, is legally required to report any suspicion of child abuse or neglect to the relevant authorities."

Your presumption is that they knew something verifiable.

You need proof to make a claim that DCI staff had suspicion of child abuse that they did not report.

You're speaking for everyone?  I know LOTS of people who understand how DCI was structured - and what power DCI had - when abuses supposedly happened.

Verifiable is not part of the standard.  Nor is proven.

1.  Were there minors in Pioneer last season?

2.  Did any actions by the director put the health or safety of those minors in jeopardy?

3.  Was Dan aware of those actions? Not have proof or evidence -- just a reasonable suspicion?

Yeah he's aware of LOT of instances because it was common place in drum corps.  Even though it's less common now,  there are plenty of folks still in the activity who still think drum corps plays by that old set of rules.    

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually suspect isn't often enough legal grounds to do anything, and in fact, making a false accusation can lead to a whole world of hurt. Ask the former band director who once falsely accused me of inappropriate relations with a student

Actually where you live not only is suspect enough to report -- it's enough to legally require that you report.    

https://www.pa-fsa.org/Mandated-Reporters/Understanding-Mandated-Reporting/Frequently-Asked-Questions

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, BigW said:

I heard the reason was that they were just updating Heywood's Bio page and wanted to mention his recent collaboration with WGI Percussion guru Hugh Jass. :whistle:

Heywood doesn't want anything to do with Hugh. He's moving into costume design and will be joining forces with Seymour Butts.

• Haha 1