A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So if anyone at any time in DCI knew there was a potential predator they should have kept their mouths shut? “Can’t do anything about it so just forget about it”. Puuuuuuke Thanks for warning/protecting the members DCI gives so much of a crap about. 

No, Jim, that's NOT what I said or mean.  The point is that once that info was made available to Dan, what was he expected to do with it?  

You added the "...just forget about it" puke, not me.

The rest of your post is just steam.  I get your passion - it is correct.  But it's not the question.  The question is WHAT was Dan expected to do with this information that he didn't do?

18 minutes ago, garfield said:

(I presume you're being sarcastic here)

So, if I understand, WHAT specifically did you want Dan to do in 2012?  The same that he did with Pio in 2018?

(And you never answered my question about the corps directors - did they respond to you?)

you are kidding right? tell the corps to kick him the hell out and not be around at shows! The law has rules he had to follow, and he broke them. good lord man. Imagine if he had done something at one of those shows. 

Some corps directors have responded. Some have hidden behind "the new guidelines". In the past they didn't respond, even when using the DCW ID badge.

I am truly mystified you think Dan should have done nothing knowing the law was being broken when this guy was performing in DCI shows.

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So if anyone at any time in DCI knew there was a potential predator they should have kept their mouths shut? “Can’t do anything about it so just forget about it”. Puuuuuuke Thanks for warning/protecting the members DCI gives so much of a crap about. 

Everyone, every time, should absolutely speak up if they suspect abuse of ANY kind!  Nobody is suggesting anything different.  The question still is: Was Dan invested by his board with the power to take action against an organization that allowed a sex offender to march in its ranks?  IN 2012?

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

This is where you veer off, so stay with this.  NOBODY, not me, not you, not Brasso, not MusicManNJ, not Dan A, nor ANYBODY is suggesting that sex offenders are OK!  Stay with the issue, please.  The issue is WHAT did you want Dan to do to the corps that were embroiled then? 

And I encourage you to put yourself in Dan's shoes at that time, and in the structure that was 2012 and what Dan's bosses tasked him to do.  Don't just fly off with "Well, it SHOULD have been...!" such and such.  What power did Dan have then to act as you expected him to?

Well, you're defending Dan's inaction in 2012 when presented with the fact that a DCi affiliate corps had a published sex offender in their ranks performing at their shows, with tons of underage kids also there. So to say anything more than Dan should have done something is to condone his inaction. 

And had I been in Dans shoes, and this had been presented to me, I would have convened an emergency board session, discussed the facts that were presented to me, possibly with legal counsel attending to advise on what DCI should have done, which is to prevent a registered felon from being around minors at anything with DCi stamped on it in any kind of way related to teaching and performing, or, well, the corps can't perform if he's there.

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, Jim, that's NOT what I said or mean.  The point is that once that info was made available to Dan, what was he expected to do with it?  

You added the "...just forget about it" puke, not me.

The rest of your post is just steam.  I get your passion - it is correct.  But it's not the question.  The question is WHAT was Dan expected to do with this information that he didn't do?

Let’s both answer the question what did you expect DA to do about it. 

My answer is send a letter to the corps saying anyone on a public predator list after a certain date will be listed in a future issue of DCW. Public information being published so the members and parents will be informed and protected 

now what do you think DA should have done with any info like this.

if dci did nothing with anything like this they knew then they did stick their fingers in their ears and tried to forget about it 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

So, these are both facts.  Fine.  Dan was notified.  What do you wish he did and who were the people who put the policies in place that Dan followed in his response he actually gave?

Have you ever been to a harness race?  Dan's leg harness have been cinched tight by his board for decades.  In fact, since only 2018 has he been able to stretch his legs and, when it comes to DCI member organizations, like Pioneer and Crossmen and Cadets, he seems to have gotten favorable response.  Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

And Dan would have had information to take to his board to keep the guy out of any DCI sanctioned activity as a performer or instructor, and I can't imagine even in 2012 the Board would have sat by silently. Rumor and innuendo about what some in DCI may have done...I can see them doing that without hard facts sure. But the guy was on the ####### registry. Even DCi's board, as dysfunctional and myopic as they may be at times, cannot possibly be that short sighted or dense.

12 minutes ago, garfield said:

Is not a DCI member corps. 

but performing in DCI sanctioned activities.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Everyone, every time, should absolutely speak up if they suspect abuse of ANY kind!  Nobody is suggesting anything different.  The question still is: Was Dan invested by his board with the power to take action against an organization that allowed a sex offender to march in its ranks?  IN 2012?

they could have created the rules they have now 6 years earlier that would have saved them all a ton of bad press and a fortune in legal fees.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you are kidding right? tell the corps to kick him the hell out and not be around at shows! The law has rules he had to follow, and he broke them. good lord man. Imagine if he had done something at one of those shows. 

None of that horror is in question, Jeff, so stop connoting that I don't agree with you.  The issue is DAN'S POWER.

You said Dan should have, what, FORCED, the corps to kick him out?

With what I've shared of how Dan's edicts have been ignored for decades because the corps' leadership demanded control of their own futures, was Dan supposed to unilaterally act independently from his Board?  The Board has full power to fire him if he does anything outside of their instructions to him.  He was charged with running the tour.  Decisions about who was allowed to play at shows were not developed by Dan, did he have the power to exclude a corps, even for this cause?

Why are you not getting this?

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And Dan would have had information to take to his board to keep the guy out of any DCI sanctioned activity as a performer or instructor, and I can't imagine even in 2012 the Board would have sat by silently. Rumor and innuendo about what some in DCI may have done...I can see them doing that without hard facts sure. But the guy was on the ####### registry. Even DCi's board, as dysfunctional and myopic as they may be at times, cannot possibly be that short sighted or dense.

What if he did EXACTLY that and, instead of sitting by silently, they instructed Dan to notify the corps of the information in case they aren't aware, then let the director make the next decision and take the next step?

With how closely tied to the G7 information you were, I'm surprised that you ignore how neutered Dan was by the voting directors.  

Edited by garfield