“Failure to Protect”

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

The Hopkins story was one thing. Then the Pioneer fiasco continued it. But this... This is a bombshell of new info on many corps and their instructors.

It would not surprise me if we find many directors and/or other people in power out of their jobs within the next few days before the stories really start to spread nationally.

DCI, I await your full statement on this article.

we got it several weeks ago.

i was shocked at the names not listed

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

And here's a good example.

Apparently DCI, a co-op of fraternal organizations, is expected to have better oversight than the IIOC.

The TIMING of this release is interesting, too, IMO.

Every few days there is something new about university or Olympic gymnastics abuse so not surprising it came out today

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Nor did I suggest or imply dilution.

I do, however, question whether accuracy is important in a story such as this.

Larson has been discussed numerous times on here, with much of whats written in the article. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

i've mentioned him numerous times in the DCa forums.....and they defended or ignored. only recently when i made a statement did someone acknowledge their current procedures

Yes. I've been too tired and busy at work but this set me off, Jeff.  They need a major culture shift internally, MAJOR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I'm not questioning whether or not she did research, but statements like this one paint a completely different picture of the activity, and DCI, than are true or warranted:

"DCI can discipline or suspend corps for violating its policies. But until it put the Cadets on probation in April, DCI had never disciplined a corps for concerns about participant safety."

Bold mine, as is my contention that this statement is absolutely false and misleading.

Unless, of course, one defines "participant safety" as a myopic subject focused only on sexual harassment.  Many people know of many corps that have been disciplined over concerns of participant safety.  Food safety, travel safety, medical safety...

name a corps DCI suspended for anything other than financial prior to April. I'll wait.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

And here's a good example.

Apparently DCI, a co-op of fraternal organizations, is expected to have better oversight than the IIOC.

The TIMING of this release is interesting, too, IMO.

The gymnastics stuff has been in the news all week, and even over the weekend. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

name a corps DCI suspended for anything other than financial prior to April. I'll wait.

It doesn't say "suspended", Jeff, it says "disciplined".

Heck, I personally know of a corps that was disciplined for demanding that a host school turn off the emergency lighting in the gym so the kids could sleep. 

The tour director claimed he was only looking out for "his" kids, but the response was "And what happens when there's a fire and your kids can't find their way out of the gym they just moved in to?"

Edited by garfield

Just now, garfield said:

It doesn't say "suspended", Jeff.

name a corps DCI put on probation before April for anything other than financials. I'll wait. 

• Like 1

The bottom line is this....and I know painfully because i work for America's most hated bank:

even if doing the right things now, the past can keep haunting you forever and ever. One thing that could help us is a new board...ceo...wipe the slate clean. Some board gone. Many of the bad actors gone. But the stain persists as the more we look and clean up, the more is found from the past.

and this is hurting DCI now. We can't get ahead on messaging and neither can they.

I don't care how #### clean a corps is, right now no directors need to be on the executive board. it's just more continued good ole boys perception. There will be more and you can't tell me every corps in existence today is 100% clean, because at some point in their history they weren't. 

And sadly many rumored names yet to be exposed, some in prominent positions

• Thanks 1