“Failure to Protect”

8 minutes ago, BigW said:

Yeah. "Joe-Bots". The NCAA did give him back the wins BTW.  Read this little nugget:

Do a search for "Penn State Trustee Albert Lord running out of sympathy" and get more disgusted when you read the Washington Post article. That broke my back for any positive feelings towards PSU.

There are folks out there with various corps who will try the same thing, I'm certain. Wait and see.

Yep board turned into pro and anti (or at best could care less) Paterno sides. Gift that keeps on giving there.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

The biggest mistake they are willing to own up to is publicly thanking the predator!?!?!?!  They don’t ####### get it at all....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

It totally ignored the reasons why the staff all resigned after the 18 season

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The issue has been being addressed at the scholastic level in many places, but you have to remember government is also often involved. But I see more of an emphasis on getting it right there than I do in drum corps 

Guess I am just trying to make the apples to apples comparison. I am not saying it is the right thing to do but calling for Dan's head and not the heads of the other band association CEO's in similar scenarios is hypocritical. The focus is in the wrong place, where is the public BOA Forum where we can really discuss the failure to protect? Dan is in a tough spot being the head of an origination that folks love and show great dedication to versus originations that don't experience such loyalty and it enables them to fly under the radar and perpetrate the issue.    

In my opinion the drum corps community is placing too much of the onus on dci and to a lessor extent the Corps themselves for these issues (which seems upside-down). GH is being handled in the courts and most of the other allegations have their roots outside of misdeeds while the corps were on tour. Granted certain individuals should not have been involved with the Corps in any capacity. I have faith that the up coming Directors Meetings will come up with appropriate solutions such as zero tolerance, no second chances. However no matter what dci does or does not do, it is not going to affect the failure to protect our youth since it's the Administrators, Lawmakers, Principals and Teachers that are failing to protect. dci is just doing the mop-up.

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The biggest mistake they are willing to own up to is publicly thanking the predator!?!?!?!  They don’t ####### get it at all....

Well on a positive note, that’s more than Dan Acheson is owning up to. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi all!  Is Fred Morrison still executive director at the Crossmen?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well on a positive note, that’s more than Dan Acheson is owning up to. 

Need a like choice that includes a spit take...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, karuna said:

It does not matter whether the BOD officially told him to not report.  In many (most) jurisdictions anyone directly involved with a youth activity has a legally mandated duty to report any suspected abuse.  Furthermore an ethical and moral leader would NOT stick his head in the sand and fail to report suspected abuse EVEN if the result was against the explicit direction of the DCI BOD (which I seriously doubt ever occurred.  In fact to the best of my knowledge no such official directive was ever given to him nor was it written into his employment contract) even if the result was his resignation or termination as CEO.  You can find another job;  you can't undo/repair what the abusers were breaking.

You're so confused on this issue. 

It just doesn't matter what the corporate structure at DCI was.  It doesn't matter what the BOD told him to do.   In the face of suspected abuse in a youth activity, he had a moral, ethical (and probably legal) duty to report those suspicions.  

End of story.  

No amount of "BUT THATS NOT HOW DCI WAS STRUCTURED" can change that. The structure is irrelevant in the face of suspected abuse.  

It doesn't matter how successfully Acheson has been at the rest of his obligations including managing tour.

It just doesn't matter.  

His ability to lead the organization has evaporated. 

Because he stood by and did nothing.   

Problem is, you do not know that.  

####, you even admitted not knowing earlier in this thread.

For all you know, Acheson had the investigators on speed dial, and called them immediately upon receiving a credible claim.  But if the investigation fails to find something, then what?  It is not prudent to publicize claims that do not pan out.  If someone makes a confidential claim against Karuna, and investigation finds no corroborating evidence, there will be no press releases or blogs about Karuna being accused.  It would be wrong for Acheson to leak such information and smear the good name of Karuna, even if it helps unsmear his own name.

Be sure to let us all know when you have proof that Acheson both:

- received a credible claim, and

- did nothing

Until then, it would be appropriate if you continued to use the phrase "if he... " in your accusations.

• Like 3