“Failure to Protect”

40 minutes ago, BigW said:

True... though I don't think the Mummers have ever laid claim to being an educational organization. 

No, just a clean, fun, family orientated activity for over 100 years. I am not an expert on the Mummers, just a fan, was a great show they even had a band for the first time wear show attire. They also never had disgruntled fans worrying about whether they were recognizable from year to year. I never paid much attention to String Bands when they marched in parades with us in the 60's. They also came a long way but stayed grounded to their principals more than other activities. 

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That comparison is unnecessary, inappropriate, and (more importantly) fails to advance your point.  So, too, does most of the fuss over paying for a service that merely alters the rank order of online search results, or why he resigned from this BOD and not that BOD.

My mind was made up at the "he hired WHO?" stage.  

Exactly 

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

at the meeting

This has been brought up before. There are such things as video/audio conference calls that are used to address burning issues in business, every day. Maybe they do meet that way and don't see this as a burning issue? It's only DCP/REDDIT that is all worked up. We are pleased with the reports out of the camps that it is business as normal but will be very displeased if the meetings proceed that way. Waiting for the meeting is not a positive sign that dci will do the right thing. 

I do think that DCI offers educational opportunities for members and potential positive life changing experiences, but it is a secondary byproduct, because first and foremost DCI is an organization that provides competitive opportunities for drum corps. Yes it is a youth activity,  but that does not make it an educational activity. We see it in other ways too. We now go to shows rather than competitions and corps perform instead of compete. Judges push a corps to be the best it can be. For an activity about personal best, scores and judges comments shouldn’t make or break things, but they do. 

As we’ve been having so many conversations about so many things, I'm wondering if part of the problem is the governance of DCI and many corps which is nothing new, but I am seeing a different aspect I don’t think has been mentioned. Drum corps needs strong business models, it also needs strong creative folks. I do believe it has both, but it needs bridge people too. The business folks tend to look at things from an organizational black and white point of view, Creative folks are the opposite. If you had middle ground folks, those who understand the mission as well as people, many of the problems once surfaced would have been solved. Right off the bat, obvious people to include would be those who have dealt successfully with sexual abuse and sexual harassment  issues, folks from law enforcement, and public relations people who strictly advise, not creative spin doctors who say all the right things. These people would point out that this is how these actions would look to parents of potential marching members, donors, and the public at large who support the activity. 

4 minutes ago, Tim K said:

these people would point out that this is how these actions would look to parents of potential marching members, donors, and the public at large who support the activity. 

Good perspective past expertise outside the arts can help guide the activity in a positive direction. Dci can learn that from Corps that went that route in their management to great success (seen corps interviews pushing that point). Watching the Mummers the other day had me thinking about how they stayed on course. It's still a hobby but they have worldwide notoriety, travel aboard and have a free televised event. One thing odd is after the first 6 bands the judges get a chance to alter the scores? Not comparing dci to Mummers but they do seem to draw from each other nowadays,

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Now that is funny right there!!!!

Let me tell you what is sad about all this. I and I am not the only one on DCP that is being prepped for "The Big Bother Chinese Social Media Behavioral Rating" How am I doing I know I won't be the poster of the year but can my kid march in a decent Corp or does he need to wait for Pioneer?

Edited by Bluzes
typo

57 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

57 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

This has been brought up before. There are such things as video/audio conference calls that are used to address burning issues in business, every day. Maybe they do meet that way and don't see this as a burning issue? It's only DCP/REDDIT that is all worked up. We are pleased with the reports out of the camps that it is business as normal but will be very displeased if the meetings proceed that way. Waiting for the meeting is not a positive sign that dci will do the right thing. 

And your positive suggestions would be? And what could DCI do that you would consider moves in the right direction 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

... my comments are not directed at you, they are directed at dci through the only means I have to get to them....

31 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Let me tell you what is sad about all this... can my kid march in a decent Corp or does he need to wait for Pioneer?

No, what is sad is that you believe that this forum is the only means you have to get in contact with DCI when Dan, Sue, David, Bob, etc... are all very personable and easily accessible. You (your wife) can request them as friends on Facebook and send them a message, you can see them at shows and introduce yourself, they are a friendly bunch of folks; just be friendly to them is all it takes.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

I don't deserve this attention but thanks. I am too busy looking past all this nonsense to get to folks that deserve the abuse that I get here. But if one point, one comment hits home from any of us on DCP, it's a good day and worth it, if I need to have a target on my back then so be it, I am a big boy. 

I know that you do not value the privacy of the innocent but just wanted to let you know that someone uploaded your photo on the internet: Link to photo

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

No, what is sad is that you believe that this forum is the only means you have to get in contact with DCI when Dan, Sue, David, Bob, etc... are all very personable and easily accessible.

Stu, you know we love you, but I don’t understand this retort. And you’re not the only one who’s made it. What is the point of saying it?  Do you want him to stop posting here?  I don’t understand about 3/4 of what he’s posting, but at least he’s here. There are so few offseason posters already. Why drive more away?  Where has Garfield gone?  I wasn’t agreeing with him recently but at least he was posting and giving me something to think about. So can we stop discouraging posting?

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1