Let The Pendulum Swing Back

20 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Explain how you were able to recognize Vanguard. 

For me it was the big V on their chest.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

I would venture to guess the  majority who have followed drum corps over the years prefers the more traditional uniform, but.........

1. How do you define traditional uniform? I’ve followed drum corps since 1975. There have been huge changes since that time. Styles changed, but so too did colors in many cases. 

2. Since the uniforms are designed with the show in mind, something that has been the case with the color guard since the 1980’s, there is a chance more traditional uniforms could make a return. Remember, we’re talking about style when we’re talking about uniforms and styles change.

3. I can recall a darling of the old school, The Bridgemen causing a stir with their uniforms. VK was considered too casually dressed by many. When the current crop of marchers are in their 40’s plus, they’ll be looking at the uniforms of their day in the same way we look back. 

Traditional uniforms gave way to conceptual design holding onto the corps identity with style changes. Like what MC did for the Cavies, I remember his interviews where he said he designed the base attire to evolve but kept the Cavies identity. 

Madison in the past was following that path and BD & Cavies are still recognizable, able to pick them out from sight from year to year.

To where we are at today with show theme attire. It's what makes the activity great. However recently some show theme attire and associated props were missed by folks sitting in section 140. Not saying anything negative about folks waiting for finals to see their first show. Is is people I know watched on FLO attended other shows. To not have associated Carpenter music to the Carpenters through no fault of the Blue Stars. Also that Crown's show was about bumblebees. You can't always get your point across but it was all good. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

I thought it was a square root symbol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You know I LOVED the mello sustain...but call me an old timer dino I went back and listened to Phantom 2007 and the mello sustain at the end of THAT show was WAY more impressive for numerous reasons.  Not to take away from a GREAT Vanguard show but....in the big picture...it was good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I thought it was a square root symbol 

√ is called the radical sign or radix. Vanguard had all that   thus V - V = Vanguard 

3 hours ago, Bluzes said:

16 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

√ is called the radical sign or radix. Vanguard had all that   thus V - V = Vanguard 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

giphy.gif

Kewl, now drum corps fans can remember this theory by associating it to Vanguard, drum corps is RADIX

• Haha 2

On 12/22/2018 at 8:54 PM, 81Freelancers said:

I watched a YT video called "Highlights of 2018 DCI Finals" and with the exception of the Vanguard, I didn't recognize a single corps with all the bizarre uniforms. Let's hope the pendulum swings back so that corps will wear their traditional-yet-updated uniforms so we can recognize them and cheer them on. Isn't that what DC is mostly about? 

With the news about sexual predators running rampant in the ranks of major corps, DCI may be brought down. Hopefully, a new organization will take it's place with more traditional and progressive rules. DCI wants all this news to go away. 

I think some corps will occasionally be able to put a traditional look to good use, given the right show design. Madison, for example. I'll like that.

But the Show is the thing, and I don't think there is a real pendulum metaphor at work. Or at least, it will be a very long, disappointing wait for anything to swing back.

• Like 1