njthundrrd

DCI FINALS .... of just The Cadet (Holy Name, Garfield, Bergen, etc) shows.

Recommended Posts

  1. 1984 West Side Story
  2. 1987 Appalachian Spring
  3. 1993 IN THE SPRINGTIME 
  4. 1985 Symphony 3, Make Our Garden Grow, Candide (Bernstein)
  5. 1983 Mass  
  6. 1982 Rocky Point - Gershwin 
  7. 2012 the Christmas show
  8. 1996 The American West
  9. 1981 Adventures in Time 
  10. 2000 Disney  we are the future
  11. 1991 ABC
  12. ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 2:57 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

Ugh! The NPR show. I thought Hopkins was going to keep doing it as a pledge drive. “Pledge now, or we will keep doing shows like this!”

Actually that NPR show was great! The whole Story Line Sucked Donkey Balls ( Both of them) but the music was incredible, Brass, Percussion, Guard, Marching and visuals were very good. Oh, And arguably The Best marching visual Ending In DCI History! 

 

Edited by boxingfred
added content
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 8:06 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I called it the Sally Jesse Raphael show. 

I've said this before elsewhere, but the disconnect for me in that show was the "NPR" set... which didn't resemble a radio studio, but instead looked like a TV studio.

I've been in a few radio studios. This wasn't one.  LOL

Public television? Sure. But public radio?  Not at all.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have the time to do a list, but I WILL say that any list that does not include 1984 is invalid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've thought long about posting or not posting in this thread. And finally decided on this. When Cosby was convicted, not charged, but convicted I could no longer really enjoy any of his work. It destroyed the way I watched anything he had ever produced. As of now I still love The Cadets Appalachian Spring, West Side Story, Les Mis, To Tame, Angels Demons, all of the wonderful productions under Hopkins direction. However if he is convicted, I am afraid it will taint my memory in the same way the Cosby situation did. And I know that it will hurt worse for me to feel that way because the staff and performers had nothing to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it won't taint mine. Why? because it wasn't all him. it was an amazing staff and incredible kids. His input grew more and more towards the end, when the product wasn't what it used to be

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Stu said:

I've thought long about posting or not posting in this thread. And finally decided on this. When Cosby was convicted, not charged, but convicted I could no longer really enjoy any of his work. It destroyed the way I watched anything he had ever produced. As of now I still love The Cadets Appalachian Spring, West Side Story, Les Mis, To Tame, Angels Demons, all of the wonderful productions under Hopkins direction. However if he is convicted, I am afraid it will taint my memory in the same way the Cosby situation did. And I know that it will hurt worse for me to feel that way because the staff and performers had nothing to do with it.

 I talked about this before... don’t let that happen.  Richard Wagner was a raging anti-Semite but the Israeli symphony still played his music.  I think of the members and designers.  Not the director.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

 I talked about this before... don’t let that happen.  Richard Wagner was a raging anti-Semite but the Israeli symphony still played his music.  I think of the members and designers.  Not the director.  

But I guarentee you those in the symphony who knew of Wagner's vile opinions were still jaded at some capacity. Sure they enjoyed the music, but it was tainted. As for Cosby, I love to quote his humor and used to always gave him credit. However, if I attribute it to him now, it is still funny, but the person I am speaking with typically cringes at his name. Moreover, I cringe even if I do not mention him because it is now hard to think about who originated the story or joke. Innocence lost is a hard pill to swallow, even now as an older adult who has swallowed a lot of pills.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stu said:

I've thought long about posting or not posting in this thread. And finally decided on this. When Cosby was convicted, not charged, but convicted I could no longer really enjoy any of his work. It destroyed the way I watched anything he had ever produced. As of now I still love The Cadets Appalachian Spring, West Side Story, Les Mis, To Tame, Angels Demons, all of the wonderful productions under Hopkins direction. However if he is convicted, I am afraid it will taint my memory in the same way the Cosby situation did. And I know that it will hurt worse for me to feel that way because the staff and performers had nothing to do with it.

I remember the 1984 clinic where George Zingali discussed the show at length with us. He said that it was a very open and deeply collaborative effort between Jim Prime, Jr., Thom Hannum, and himself. Never heard the Director at that time mentioned as a major design/process contributor to the program. Period. I hope that helps you in regards to your feelings, Stu. It certainly helps with mine. :wink:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, boxingfred said:

Actually that NPR show was great! The whole Story Line Sucked Donkey Balls ( Both of them) but the music was incredible, Brass, Percussion, Guard, Marching and visuals were very good. Oh, And arguably The Best marching visual Ending In DCI History! 

I get where you're coming from, but the outcroppings marred a lot of that superb content and tried to dominate it. The best comparison I can make is a comment from a professor's thoughts on Star Wars Episode One where she told me that it seemed like the plot was trying too hard to get in the way of the special effects. :innocent:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.